KSP Forums Cities: Skylines Collab. Open to all.

cantab

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Can you please enable the European district style and start again from the previous save? Whole zones of buildings disappeared.

Whoops. That would explain why the city's population went down by like 10,000 give or take 1000. I hand off the save to whoever wants it next.

1 hour ago, UnionPacific1983WP said:

Whoops. That would explain why the city's population went down by like 10,000 give or take 1000. I hand off the save to whoever wants it next.

That's probably also why no one wanted to move into your district---the emptied zones created a glut of all types of property and overwhelmed the demand. Things aren't super busy at the moment, so if you want to try again, it's always nice to add another person.

I think I actually have a few minutes where I'm not too busy.... So I'm gonna grab the save for a little while. I've been so busy I can finally see what everyone has done. @HebaruSan, that transit hub is a work of artistic genius!

Edit: Okay, I'm done, didn't much besides look around and figure out how the trains worked in my little area. Did some minor tweaking.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898629525

Edited by StrandedonEarth

My wife forced me off the computer last night by poking and prodding me until I put it down and paid attention to her. So it was a rather hasty save and now I need to grab the save again and make sure my latest transport tweaks somewhat work. So I'ma gonna do dat now.

Edit: All done: here's the save...http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901861742

Okay, everything looks about as good as it's gonna get. Last night was mucking around with transportation, turning a little corner of industry into a tourist transport hub similar in function to @HebaruSan's, with a tourist train transferring to the passenger and metro loops across from a Stadium and the Botanical Gardens. Also put in a bus loop from there serving the industrial area. Then I played with the roads around the cargo train terminal. Finally, this morning, after making sure that area was running sorta smoothly, I put in an office park as far away from that mess as I could.

Ughnbm4.jpg

cool, border cities will manage the regional train, and city far from the outside connection will just need to connect to the intercity network ^^ grats , gonna updgrade my town accordingly next time.

(speaking of out of bound connection, not sure but, if i remind there also a weird behaviour that could occur when more than 2 per vehicle categorie, will try to find some related thread so we can take that into account as well)

still doing some simple vanilla asset slowly and relax mod actually here ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Okay, everything looks about as good as it's gonna get. Last night was mucking around with transportation, turning a little corner of industry into a tourist transport hub similar in function to @HebaruSan's, with a tourist train transferring to the passenger and metro loops across from a Stadium and the Botanical Gardens.

The rails outside your borders now look like a fun amusement park ride! :)

AF2DDEE485AABEC31039A442BDD63191BC4D1B66

I HAVE THE SAVE. I messed up the river's flow with a subway line, and there are a few more tweaks I'd like to make to my roads and rails.

• Lots of fiddling with roads, rails, subways, and pedestrian walkways
  • Connected up the Motte's highway
  • Deleted my train station's bus route, because the riders were obliviously swamping its capacity of 30 people per bus and 1 bus
  • Moved my local passenger station and its subway stop closer together
  • Altogether, these subway and train stations each now service >1000 passengers/week

23EDF83430F1C3FC2E406504C9F88D3819300971

Save:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902126594

It's not just a Good Friday, it's a Great Friday when I don't have to work! *grabs save*

Ok, done. Added a bit of commercial and some lakefront residential. And then I seem to get sucked into endless traffic tweaks, which merely move the bottleneck somewhere else... It's weird how the metro station at my transfer hub can go from zero people one week to 943 the next!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905356392

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It's weird how the metro station at my transfer hub can go from zero people one week to 943 the next!

Yeah, I suspect we're now hitting the famed Cities Skylines "agent limit," which only allows a certain number of citizens to be simulated at once. So while you have the capacity to move a lot of metro passengers, and the city population should use most of that capacity, instead you get peaks and troughs depending on which randomly generated routes come up during that minute of game time.

I would love to see more of a bias among citizens towards "live near where you work, shop near where you live." Most of the time when I snoop on a car or truck or public transit passenger, they're headed most of the way across the map. I guess that's not exactly unrealistic, but it does kind of defeat the purpose of trying to plan a rational local layout. ("This residential zone will need some commercial nearby... except they're shopping all the way over there anyway.")

I didn't think agent limit was normally a problem until well over 200,000, but you may be correct in pointing to the spread out city being a factor. If it's the case, ensuring public transport networks can handle demand should help, because anyone waiting in a crowd is an 'agent'. And yes, I do believe the game is rather poor at favouring nearby commercial visits in particular. Long work commutes feel a bit more plausible, but long shopping trips ought to be the minority - IRL you only go far if the nearby places don't have what you want.

Activity on the collab is quieting down anyway, which is no great surprise, I imagine some of us have done what we wanted. Mine at least still has a fair bit of expanding vaguely planned out.

15 minutes ago, cantab said:

I didn't think agent limit was normally a problem until well over 200,000

Unsurprisingly, different folks have different impressions of that in various discussions, and it doesn't help that Cities Skylines players seem to be just as enthusiastic about "mod it till it crashes" as KSP players are. :/ I guess I won't give up yet in case it really is 200k. I just subscribed to a mod that shows the agent counts and limits, so maybe that will be enlightening.

If it's the case, ensuring public transport networks can handle demand should help, because anyone waiting in a crowd is an 'agent'.

Good point. My train nexus was definitely a problem previously, with hundreds of 'agents' clustered forever at that bus station outside the subway.

Activity on the collab is quieting down anyway, which is no great surprise, I imagine some of us have done what we wanted.

I would be up for doing another one, maybe with a theme or limitation this time to make it different. I used to enjoy making train-only cities in SimCity 1, or tiled subway-only cities in SimCity 2000, but I don't know how viable such things would be in this game.

And uploaded: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911272811

I connected up the Estuary Tunnel, since nobody else had. It offers a quicker route between the central towns and Bonnemotte and is reasonably well used. I also expanded Roffleworth Cove further inland. And I kept my traffic in check - 'Brunel Island' was getting clogged as a flat roundabout so I had to make it an interchange, which gave me a bit of hassle to try and make it look vaguely tolerable. Eventually all my stuff should join up in one conurbation. City population is now at its record high, although not by much.

I leveled the river banks downstream of the dams to a much lower elevation and built a new multi-use high-rise riverside district (residential, commercial, and offices):

1F20A2E3FA6D050918B75FA02C2892E21290A596

We are now able to construct the Eden Project, thanks to that large building on the right. There was a lot of extra dirt, which I dumped just outside my area. If you need any dirt, please use any or all of this!:

68165ADA2BF403A11F4A6298FD41ACCDFD6510BA

Save:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912850019

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

We are now able to construct the Eden Project

I noticed the Space Elevator is also unlocked. What do folks think of making a shared monument zone in the center to hold the end-game buildings? We have plenty of dirt to make a nice big plateau, and we could try to devise a hybrid of the styles of all our towns.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.