Randomly found mun arch

Andrew Hei

Yeah, I ran into the arch (well, I didn't physically run into it) a few weeks ago just by chance on a random biome sci gathering mission.  I landed in the crater just below it and was surprised to see the arch up on the hill behind my lander.  Of course I had to 're-park' my lander for a closer look...that thing is pretty big!

It's so nice to be surpised by KSP now and then.  I had seen pics of the arch in the past but never visited it yet....was very cool to come across it at random.  

Jeb says good work and recommends you fly thru it on the way back up. :)  Cheers.

I like the Mun arches. I landed near that one several times recently, both with Soviet-style and Constellation-style technology (I know it's the same one because during my incredibly laggy few hours spent driving a rover around the area on a Constellation mission I've become quite familiar with the surrounding terrain).

2 hours ago, Andrew Hei said:

Btw a weird way to start a profile in the forums lol.

Certainly a memorable way. I don't actually remember what my own first post was but it probably wasn't anything as interesting.

Haha. Once took a medium size cargo SSTO to an arch. Brought a small very badly built rover too. Had fun until the solar panels broke and I had to fly the Kerbals in EVA back to the SSTO. I am horrible at pinpoint landings. Especially with Nervas. And Jeb ran out of EVA propellant so he had to walk back. He had this glitch where when he walked or ran, he would twitch a lot and this slowed him down. But eventually the entire crew got back and all returned safely to Kerbin. Fun times.

Fire

On 3/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, Red Stapler said:

Jeb says good work and recommends you fly thru it on the way back up.

Of course Jeb would say this. I once exploded a lander trying this maneuver by hitting the arch on the way up. 

On 3/13/2017 at 4:32 PM, Andrew Hei said:

I swear I had no idea where it was but I found it randomly

Congratulations Andrew and welcome to the forum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.