How low can you go? This is a challenge to see how low you can get a satellite (or other spacecraft) to orbit the mun.

The orbiter should be stock, but mods are allowed for delivering the orbiter to the mun. The challenge is about orbiting the mun, not getting there.

Post your apoapsis and periapsis heights, and some pictures of your spacecraft and orbit. The final orbit should be sustainable.

Your score is the sum of your apoapsis and periapsis heights. Lower scores are better.

I finished my attempt with a score of 12111 meters, and will be posting some images shortly.

Minimum "safe" distance is 7061m:
http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun (see "Terrain")

That's the lowest you can go without any risk of hitting a mountain.
Putting a craft in a 7062m x 7062m orbit does not seem like a challenge to me... it would be easier than mun landing in any case.

Orbits that don't cross high point coordinates could even go lower...
But once below 5000m, your craft would be at risk of being deleted if you switch focus and you wouldn't be able to timewarp without switching focus.
Personnally, I wouldn't have the patience to wait for a full orbit to complete without timewarp.

There might be matter for a challenge there, but not in its current form

From what I could find, it seemed that most other ultra low orbit challenges were set for kerbin, and shot down cause atmosphere. Either way, It's time for the photos from my attempt.

F3QUovH.png

This is the probe I used.

lZxPZV7.png

A shot of my orbit.

yGl1wQh.png

My probe above one of the giant equatorial craters.

e4wfK5p.png

And my probe on the dark side.

My apoapsis was 6101m, with a periapsis of 6010m. As perviously stated, that gives me a score of 12111m

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

11333 points, an auspicious number

I would say 11331 even: I saw altitude drop to 5647 Pe and rise to 5684 Ap during the accelerated orbit (and I couldn't see the numbers on the map view at all, it goes too fast, 1:11).

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I would say 11331 even: I saw altitude drop to 5647 Pe and rise to 5684 Ap during the accelerated orbit (and I couldn't see the numbers on the map view at all, it goes too fast, 1:11).

Then the numbers in the two modes must differ by a smidge- that's kinda neat, I never would have noticed that. Thanks for scraping a couple points off my score!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.