TotallyNotHuman_

First Steps I: First Flight [Chapter 2]

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Author's Note: This story is not to be confused with the far more famous story First Flight written by @KSK. His story can be found here. If you mistook my story for that, then move along. There's nothing to see here.
While we're at it, please note that before you report this post for infringing on the title, know that I have spoken to KSK and he has graciously agreed to let me use this title. This is the relevant PM that was sent to me:

On 1/20/2017 at 3:32 PM, KSK said:

Hi TotallyNotHuman,

I know that feeling - not having the time to catch up with other stories on the forum because I'm too busy writing my own!

You're welcome to use First Flight as a title but thanks for asking and if you could put a link to my story somewhere that would be great! Let me know if/when it goes live and (if you'd like), I'll post a short note on your thread just confirming that I'm OK with the title in case anyone else decides to comment on it.

Good luck with the writing!

Cheers,

KSK.

With that out of the way, let us begin...

First Flight is a story set in the 29th century, 70 years after the first FTL test flight and about 250 years after the founding of the Space Program. This story will chronicle the adventures of the KFS Scalpel, the first ship that is sent out into interstellar space to investigate a mysterious radiobright star. Because FTL travel is still maturing, they will spend 10 years in transit. What they find at the star in 10 years' time will forever change kerbal's understanding of the universe, and what lies beyond.

Spoiler

OOC is serious business:

In a departure from my usual routine (shoehorning my stuff into the Forums editor and praying for the best), I'll post each chapter in Markdown form to GitHub instead (because of lack of a better hosting solution).

Updates will be on Tuesday at midnight EDT. Expect a standard deviation of approximately five minutes either way; do keep in mind that I wrote this in Word, and therefore have to run it through a Markdown converter before I post it on GitHub.

First Flight will be part one of a three-part series entitled First Steps. Part Deux is in the works, and I'm pushing for its publication before First Flight is done.

Not sure when the next First Flight chapter will be out? Look no further! Click here for the countdown towards the next chapter, provided courtesy of timeanddate.com.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1 [3/14/17]

Chapter 2 [3/21/17]

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_
Chapter 2
3 people like this

Chapter 1 is here. Due to some Forums shenanigans (damn you, automerge), I was only able to post it as a separate comment now. Anyway.

5 people like this

On 3/14/2017 at 1:05 AM, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

Chapter 1 is here. Due to some Forums shenanigans (damn you, automerge), I was only able to post it as a separate comment now. Anyway.

I like your reference to Star Trek Enterprise :D

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I knew someone would notice it!

Keep an eye out for more references (both ST and otherwise).

Cannot into grammar
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yes, both you and Kuzzter have the same problems, mimicking star trek(Its not like I'm NOT a fan of star trek, I enjoy it a lot) 

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

47 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

I knew someone would notice it!

Keep an eye out for more references (both ST and otherwise).

Yeah, I haven't seen that series in a long time, but the moment I started reading it, I was like, I know I've seen this be- Star Trek Enterprise, pilot episode!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

Yes, both you and Kuzzter have the same problems, mimicking star trek(Its not like I'm NOT a fan of star trek, I enjoy it a lot) 

The 'problems' you mention are nonexistent. Go to TVTropes and read this. You'll find that many derivative works have shout-outs to their parent works or entirely different works. There is nothing wrong with a nod to another work.

Case in point: The Savage Chicken from the Freefall webcomic. You'll notice that its call sign is 1071-CCN. Oh, noes! It's the Enterprise's call sign backwards! Get the pitchforks! Get the torches! Get the lawyers!

Does this happen at all?

The answer is no. Content creators do not give a flying (bleep) if you give a shout-out to them. Often, they welcome it. So no, these are not problems.

In the future, I would also suggest that you take a couple of grammar classes.

But wow. Mentioning Kuzzter and myself in the same breath. I'm honored, though the circumstances are anything but.

Posted (edited)

It is a joke, but still, I see everyone making references to it. Sorry about that, I don't mean any offense, I am just a very sarcastic person, and the grammar..... i don't want not to talk about it.

(Beware, joke above, the real answer to your grammar question is that I hate proofreading my posts:))

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

Understood.

Sorry about my tone earlier; I was running on a near non-existent amount of sleep. All is forgiven.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

It is a joke [...] very sarcastic person

Poe's Law says you should always make sarcasm explicit. Around here, that usually means suffixing a ":sticktongue:" or a ":P" to the joke in question.

Edited by 0111narwhalz
grumble grumble mobile URLs grumble grumble
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Right, I unfortunately am gaining a reputation for making sarcastic remarks concerning petty things, this is.... unfortunate:/

Edited by Alpha 360

Chapter 2 has landed. Sorry about the short chapter this week; there isn't much going on in-universe.

Next time on First Flight: Commander Enman learns how (not) to consume hydrazine responsibly, among other things.

*ahem*
1 person likes this