First Steps I: First Flight [BLACKOUT]

TotallyNotHuman

First Flight has been taken down and will remain so indefinitely until issues with the new EULA are resolved. If you would like to read it, please enquire on the Kerbae ad Astra channel, #kerbaeadastra on Freenode.

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Edited by TotallyNotHuman
Blackout

First Flight has been taken down and will remain so indefinitely until issues with the new EULA are resolved. If you would like to read it, please enquire on the Kerbae ad Astra channel, #kerbaeadastra on Freenode.

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

7 hours ago, NotAgain said:

This talk of total (or near-total) crew loss on a ship named Scorpion seems foreboding.

Is that supposed to be a reference? Because my sleep-deprived brain says otherwise.

In any case, the mention doesn't always mean something bad's going to happen. I'm merely citing the fact that stasis technology is in its infancy. They might die...or they might not. You'll know next week. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

Alright, sorry guys. Due to the last week of school being a total nuisance (grumble grumble unfinished work grumble grumble), the next chapter will be postponed to Friday. The reason of this postponement will be revealed...on Friday.

Dammit, I really haven't been publishing on time. Sorry guys. :blush:

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

As far as I can tell, this is turning out to be very good-quality work. It's sufficiently descriptive and in-depth about the ships, their systems, the worlds and the crews to be immersive, but not so detailed that it becomes boring. That's often a hard balance to strike, and I'm certain you've managed it, @TotallyNotHuman_. I'm utterly enthralled. Keep up the good work.

In fact, I wouldn't mind a relay system planet pack...

Edited by NotAgain

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

13 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

@TotallyNotHuman_, this is some of the best KSP fan fiction I have ever read. Keep up the good work!

:blush: I'm flattered. If you liked my stuff, you should check out some of @KSK and @CatastrophicFailure's stuff - they're both superb writers, and my primary source of inspiration here on the Forums.

13 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

Also, looking forward to the mod, if I can help in any way, let me know!

We're looking for C# programmers, .cfg coders, and writers (because the mod is based on an alternate universe). If you can do one or any of these, hit us up at our own IRC channel here. :)

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_
Clarification

8 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

:blush: I'm flattered. If you liked my stuff, you should check out some of @KSK and @CatastrophicFailure's stuff - they're both superb writers, and my primary source of inspiration here on the Forums.

I'd put you in the top five:

1. @Kuzzter (Kerbfleet)

2. @KSK (First Flight)

3. @adsii1970 (Kerny Kerman's Journal)

4. @CatastrophicFailure (Ussari Space Program & The Kraken Trilogy)

5. @TotallyNotHuman_ (This!)

6. @Just Jim (The Saga of Emiko Station)

7. @Cydonian Monk (Forgotten Space Program)

In my honest opinion, you just passed Jim, or more accurately, he passed you.

4 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

I'd put you in the top five:

[snippety snip]

In my honest opinion, you just passed Jim, or more accurately, he passed you.

:confused:

There is no way in hell that I passed Jim and Cydonian Monk. No freakin' way.

But thanks for your honest opinion. I really am flattered. :cool:

Anyway, how about that offer? :wink:

26 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

We're looking for C# programmers, .cfg coders, and writers (because the mod is based on an alternate universe). If you can do one or any of these, hit us up at our own IRC channel here. :)

1 minute ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

:confused:

There is no way in hell that I just passed Jim and Cydonian Monk. No freakin' way.

Anyway, how about that offer? :wink:

In MY opinion, Jim passed you, going opposite directions. (I like science fiction, not weird-fantasy fiction.)

I'm over on the IRC now, trying to figure out how it works.

On 21/06/2017 at 2:57 AM, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

Aww shucks. :)

You're a psychic, my good sir! :D

I'm currently collaborating with @0111narwhalz, @Benjamin Kerman, and @KAL 9000 to create a mod based on Kerbae ad Astra. Planet packs are considered low-priority on the todo list at the moment - we need to get the parts, plugin, and tech tree finished first. But once we get that done, you can expect the planet pack (singular, but with multiple planets and star systems) to come Soon™.

You can follow development of the mod at its GitHub repository here.

---

Back on topic. (I'm choosing to do this in the same post to avoid auto-merge shenanigans again. :mad:)

Chapter 15 is live. Sorry about the (somewhat) late delivery - I had to get vaccinated and some blood taken from me for various medical purposes. Joy. :rolleyes:

Next time on First Flight: Alpha reveals a secret. The end is nigh, folks.

Nice chapter! Good mix of technical detail and those journal entries felt very fluid and natural.

6 hours ago, KSK said:

Nice chapter! Good mix of technical detail and those journal entries felt very fluid and natural.

Thanks! This is actually my first (published) attempt at writing exclusively in the first-person (I'm no Andy Weir), so it's nice to know that I didn't mess up too bad. :P

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Oh dear, names are a mess. I have story called New Steps. Wich might be confusing, so i have to change the name again. Oh well.

Don't feel compelled to change your title due to approximate conflicts. My story's title, after all, has an approximate conflict with @KSK's First Flight, which is completely unrelated.1

1Well, not completely, but you get the point - they're not in the same universe.

Thank you,

@TotallyNotHuman

Blackout

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.