[1.2.2] The Dwarf Star (Kopernicus)

electricpants

Possible future second star  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If the Phoenix system gets too crowded, I will add another star. What should this other star's type be?

• M-type (Red Dwarf)
    • L-type (Red Dwarf/High-mass Brown Dwarf)
    • T-type (High-mass Brown Dwarf)
    • Y-type (Low-mass Brown Dwarf/Sub-Brown Dwarf)

18 hours ago, electricpants said:

Also, why was it so hot on Abraxa in the imgur album? (There is a way to change the temperature to a cooler, more realistic one if you want.)

It seems to be the close proximity to Phoenix. I did lower the star's temperature down to 1800*K (which is the temperature of a real-life L dwarf), but I believe the corona might be too hot. I'm thinking of re-sizing Phoenix to Kerbal scale while its mass would be 1/100th real-scale. How about, in real life, Phoenix would have 0.06 solar masses and 0.1 solar radii?

Also, I think Septis needs to be retextured. Try making a new height map, this time with more deformity (more apparent high and low regions) and NO volcanoes. When I create the color and normal maps with Kittopia I can add volcanoes with VonoroiCraters.

Proposal!

Smallish planet, with a smooth surface and deep ravines, so that the highest points are snowy, low-atmosphere, and barely habitable, while the bottom of the ravines have around Kerbin atmosphere and gravity (maybe a little less) with liquid water. Introduce it as an icy dwarf planet that has recently been captured by Phoenix, and has begun to thaw, creating ice crevasses. Basically two planets in one, Arkas on the top and Laythe on the bottom.

3 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Proposal!

Smallish planet, with a smooth surface and deep ravines, so that the highest points are snowy, low-atmosphere, and barely habitable, while the bottom of the ravines have around Kerbin atmosphere and gravity (maybe a little less) with liquid water. Introduce it as an icy dwarf planet that has recently been captured by Phoenix, and has begun to thaw, creating ice crevasses. Basically two planets in one, Arkas on the top and Laythe on the bottom.

Interesting idea.

Will do! :wink:

Also, @ProtoJeb21, I've added you as a co-author to this mod on SpaceDock, so you can update the mod with your improvements to the Phoenix system if you want. (BTW, here's Septis's new heightmap: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5KO_W-swenrTk9MclZRN1diLVU, I tried making varying terrain without blurring it so it wouldn't look bad)

And @JadeOfMaar, I've finally gotten your planet to load correctly! (I'll update the mod to include Rekiesse very soon)

Edited by electricpants

1 hour ago, electricpants said:

And @JadeOfMaar, I've finally gotten your planet to load correctly! (I'll update the mod to include Rekiesse very soon)

w00t!

2 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Proposal!

I was hoping an ice planet would come around pretty soon.....I didn't think it would actually be coming by and then get captured. Ba dum tiss. Not knowing better, I expect this ice planet to actually be very large (I'm guessing at least Eve's size) if it's going to have the mass and surface gravity of a rocky or metallic planet. Since there are irl giant water worlds out there I'm confident about my proposed correction.

The resource setup for this one should come pretty quickly as I know what world and data to use as templates. All that's missing is a name.

There's not much to do for resource configs for Abraxa, Septis and Rekiesse since they're rocky worlds and will have fair amounts of nearly all common resources. So Abraxa and Septis are technically finished already.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@electricpants I'm releasing version 0.4, which adds in the tweaks I made to Abraxa, Septis, and Phoenix. I'll get to Rekiesse later on.

Also, I have an idea for an ocean planet with a 2-3 spin-orbit resonance. But it's not an ocean world of water...but of liquid NITROGEN! (Name is up to you)

While flying and sinking... to 1346m below at Abraxa and Septis I found that Abraxa's lower atmosphere protects against heating from the star's radiation. Physics is awesome. :) Are the texture updates applied in v0.4? And what's this LN2 planet resonating with?

21 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

While flying and sinking... to 1346m below at Abraxa and Septis I found that Abraxa's lower atmosphere protects against heating from the star's radiation. Physics is awesome. :) Are the texture updates applied in v0.4? And what's this LN2 planet resonating with?

Abraxa and Septis have new textures. A's terrain is more complex, while S is completely revamped. Height map made by @electricpants, which I used to create color and normal maps with Kittopia. I didn't get to Rekiesse yet.

The nitrogen planet (let's call it N2 for now) has a spin-orbit resonance. This is where it's rotation has an integer ration with its orbital period. For example, N2 rotates three times every four times it orbits Phoenix. Mercury (and quite a lot of space engine planets) have similar resonances.

My idea for a planet if you would like to implement it:

Spoiler

HERODOTUS (You are free to change the name) - A strange, far planet from phoenix. Or so you would think. It is heated to extreme temperatures due to the extremely hot, radioactive core. However, the crust is so thick, the heat doesn't fully transfer to the surface. This causes just enough heat to melt it's ice and create a fluid ( You can decide which, i suggest H2O or maybe Methane).

@MysterySloth Sounds intriguing. Some more specs would be nice like expected size and whether it intends to have an atmosphere. (So far, all submitted planets have an atmosphere...and no moons... which might be kinda bad) Having a highly radioactive core would lead to high gravity regardless of its size. Nuclear material is very heavy.

@electricpants by chance is there a GitHub for this mod? I'd like to be able to post my features and potential fixes directly into the project files so you and ProtoJeb can test them out before you post on SpaceDock. Speaking of fixes, I encountered another odd thing with Abraxa. Its info panel said its atmosphere was 45km high but in flight it's 40km high. Please confirm. It might have been a side effect of being installed beside Galileo's planets.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

28 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@MysterySloth Sounds intriguing. Some more specs would be nice like expected size and whether it intends to have an atmosphere. (So far, all submitted planets have an atmosphere...and no moons... which might be kinda bad) Having a highly radioactive core would lead to high gravity regardless of its size. Nuclear material is heavy.

I expect it to be of a size slightly larger than Kerbin. I imagine it would be far from Phoenix because getting caught in a huge SOI when you're looking to find say Abraxa might be slightly annoying... For moons, i imagine it would have one captured asteroid (No spoiler needed, because asteroid) and:

Spoiler

(Can't come up with a name) - A strange little, atmosphereless moon (3/4 size of Eeloo) that has a strnge feature, possibly due to an ancient asteroid impact containing this feature. What is this feature? A large, mutant species of fungus. The fungus, while feeding on the oxygen found deep in the crust of the moon, contains all other aspects of a fungus. The Biologists at the KSC said the fungus may eat the astronauts alive, but who wants to go here anyways?

EDIT: Chlorine makes up Herodotus's oceans. Just to add to the extremely toxic vibe. Also, if you add any resoures to Herodotus, make sure it is rich in uraninite.

EDIT 2: Herodotus doesn't have an atmosphere on most of the planet. There is however, puffs of chlorine gas that are underground.

EDIT 3: By the way, the oceans of Herodotus lie underground, and the cause of the gas pockets is that the chlorine is slowly evaporating due to the core. 

Edited by MysterySloth

@MysterySloth I must have you know that some features of your planet cannot be done (as desired, or at all) in KSP. Undersea oceans are possible but pointless (you can't open holes in the terrain to get to them). With EVE some plumes can be done. To help @electricpants along or just sprinkle his imagination :cool: I can see this planet having most of its land above or near the "trace atmosphere" edge with the uppermost regions white-ish and the rest brown and gray, and maybe have the atmo and ocean colorless with a very minor green tint, and most of the visible atmosphere would be where the ocean or lakes are.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@MysterySloth I must have you know that some features of your planet cannot be done (as desired, or at all) in KSP. Undersea oceans are possible but pointless (you can't open holes in the terrain to get to them). With EVE some plumes can be done. To help @electricpants along or just sprinkle his imagination :cool: I can see this planet having most of its land above or near the "trace atmosphere" edge with the uppermost regions white-ish and the rest brown and gray, and maybe have the atmo and ocean colorless with a very minor green tint, and most of the visible atmosphere would be where the ocean or lakes are.

Yeah thats what i was kind of thinking

6 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Hey @JadeOfMaar @Gameslinx or @ProtoJeb21, should I add some lore to the planets?

I already have some lore planned out for Abraxa.

Absolutely! We already have some good lore as well for Septis and Rekiesse.

Also, shot of Septis transiting Phoenix:

cHrRRjM.png

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Eye candy

All this productivity! 

@electricpants , definitely go for the lore. I'm doing it through Easter eggs from science experiments and terrain deformities. If you want to go the terrain way, use the MapDecal PQSMOD. This allows you to add a heightmap on top of another. AKA, you can have veeeeerry small symbols in the terrain. I've got a few on Niebos and Butai in my own planet pack.

You can also specify a colour map for them. This might be useful if you want to add features to the terrain but can't be bothered to Photoshop them properly!

Though for lore, the ScienceDefs might be a good way to start/go, because you want a lot of people to see it but not straight away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.