My Questions Regarding Kerbnet Waypoints

This week I downloaded 1.2.2 for the first time and I have a few questions. How do you place waypoints? And Is it possible to have the comm system enabled, but still transmit without the restrictions imposed by it? Is it possible to place waypoints without the comm system? What I really need to do is place waypoints across Kerbin out of range of the KSC without a orbital communication satellite system. How would I do that?

I think you may be confusing CommNet and KerbNet.  CommNet is the new system requiring you to have an antenna connection (direct or via relays) in order to get full functionality out of unmanned craft.

KerbNet is a tool for scanning planet surfaces (similar to what was available on the Narrow Band Scanner), and is what allows you to place a waypoint.  

They're pretty much completely independent - though it's certainly confusing since the names are similar and they came out at the same time.  But yeah, you can certainly use KerbNet without having CommNet requirements on. 

To use KerbNet, you'll need a ship with a KerbNet capable part.  Probe cores are the most common, but the Mobile Processing Lab also enables it.  More advanced hardware lets you unlock more functions, like detecting biomes, and better rates of detecting anomalies.  But I think even the basic option allows waypoints.  

Some more info at:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/KerbNet

To place waypoints, you need KerbNet activated. For KerbNet to remain activated, it needs a comm connection. So, in general, the answer to your question is no. If you have CommNet turned on and set to max difficulty, then you won't have connectivity, and you won't have KerbNet.

To actually place the waypoint, you click the mouse to move the KerbNet cursor to your target, you enter a name in the name input window (there is usually an amusing default name there already to overwrite), and you click the waypoint button. The color of the waypoint marker is based on the name you enter. If you name a bunch of them with identical names, they will all be the same color.

Edited by bewing

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

Ok. That clears up some things, but is there some kind of game setting that allows me to give antennas infinite range?

I think the only way to do that is either moding your game, or to just turn off CommNet. I play with CommNet on constantly, so I'm not sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.