Update 1.2.9 Pre-release: Localization Pack is here!

UomoCapra

Hello everyone,

The public pre-release of the localization pack is here!

It has been a massive undertaking to localize Kerbal Space Program in four more languages: Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

Around 4,000,000 lines of code carefully revised to catalogue all the aspects that needed to be localized and addressed.

More than 82,000 words translated.
456 images created for textures and UI.

684 slides prepared for the KSPedia.

For the past few months more than 20 dedicated volunteers threw everything they’ve got at the game in order to help us catch any error and to ensure that the KSP humor and technical accuracy was kept intact. They did an incredible job and we can’t express enough gratitude for their help, but now we need more eyes to help us polish the final details of the localization effort to ensure a high quality experience to all KSP players around the world.

This test build is open for everyone before we officially release the update (1.3). You’ll be able to opt-in via the Steam betas and through the KSP Store. Naturally, you’ll need to own a copy of the game beforehand in order to access these builds.

A Pre-release project has been made available on the bug tracker to report errors and/or unlocalized texts. Additionally, to facilitate discussions of the Pre-release branch we’ll be opening up a temporary sub-forum for feedback, but while talking about and exploring bugs on the forum is welcomed, we highly encourage you to use the bug tracker to ensure the team gets all your feedback. For more details of what and how to report, click here.

If you need help to get the pre-release builds on your language, check these download tutorials to start playing (the KSP Store tutorial will be made available tomorrow, March 17th).

Steam video tutorials:

But that is not all, throughout the pre-release phase, two “additions” will be inserted to the builds:

• Ambient Light Adjustment: A Boost value to the ambient light setting that can brighten the render engine settings to bring light into the darkness.

• Asteroid Redirect Mod: The official mod will finally be merged to the base game to add that extra facet to contract gameplay without needing an extra download - including the SENTINEL Infrared Telescope.

For more details and the full changelog, check out the Pre-release Chagelog.

Got any additional questions?

Don’t forget to read our FAQ, now in five languages!

We’re almost there and we couldn’t be more excited.

Happy launchings!

I love that localization is being done, I really do - the accessibility will allow even more people to enjoy this great game. But as an English speaker that doesn't really interest me at all in this upcoming release. Even the added features are nothing we don't already have.

Where can I go to see the list of bug fixes that have been closed for inclusion in the new builds?? There have been numerous mentions of bugs being fixed in the dev notes, which has been nice, but where can I see the current change log? Will that be included in the upcoming Pre-Release discussion forum?

Edited by Drew Kerman

9 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I love that localization is being done, I really do - the accessibility will allow even more people to enjoy this great game. But as an English speaker that doesn't really interest me at all in this upcoming release. Even the added features are nothing we don't already have.

Where can I go to see the list of bug fixes that have been closed for inclusion in the new builds?? There have been numerous mentions of bugs being fixed in the dev notes, which has been nice, but where can I see the current change log? Will that be included in the upcoming Pre-Release discussion forum?

Changelog:

Gratulations on the release.   :cool:

Btw: The page with how and what to report seams to have the same permission error, too.

Edited by KerrMü
Stupid mistake because of sleep deprivation

1 minute ago, StupidAndy said:

the only question I have is this

will it break saves and/or mods? is that unpredictable or do you know if it will break them?

so far my game is crashing with mods. Dont know wich one though. But it's normal so soon

1 minute ago, UnnamedProdigy said:

By asteroid redirect mod do you mean Custom Asteroids or is there an actual mod called Asteroid Redirect because after googling it I can't find anything on Asteroid Redirect

Pretty sure they mean the Asteroid Day mod, the one they partnered with the B612 foundation to release.

2 minutes ago, Lupi said:

3 minutes ago, UnnamedProdigy said:

By asteroid redirect mod do you mean Custom Asteroids or is there an actual mod called Asteroid Redirect because after googling it I can't find anything on Asteroid Redirect

Pretty sure they mean the Asteroid Day mod, the one they partnered with the B612 foundation to release.

3 minutes ago, genbrien said:

Thanks for the quick replies. Didn't even know that mid existed

12 minutes ago, KerrMü said:

Gratulations on the release.   :cool:

Btw: The page with how and what to report seams to have the same permission error, too.

Yeah sorry should be good now.

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Step one: Build a rover.

Step two: Drive in a direction.

Step three: Search for seams.

Let us know if you hit any that break your rover.

Good announcement. Clear, to the point, has prominent links to instructions and the bug tracker.

Since concerns were expressed about downloading unnecessary files for other locales: the English pre-release download is only 145.8 MB for me on Steam, which seems pretty reasonable.

There's now a folder at GameData/Squad/Localization with some cfg files with a format like this:

Localization
        {
        en-us
                {
                #autoLOC_118898 = Min. Pilots on Vessel: <<1>>
                #autoLOC_118899 = \nMultihop Capable
                #autoLOC_127810 = New Craft

... which is close enough to what I had planned that I think I can move ahead with my own l10n patch. (I even settled on the same <<1>> format for embedded strings!) And I don't see files for any other locale, confirming that they don't get downloaded unnecessarily.

29 minutes ago, genbrien said:

Why on earth would you link to that if there is a much better alternative? https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/asteroid-day

It's funny how people keep complaining about all the evils of Curse when there's a perfect ad-less/wait-less/nag-less alternative available.

aaaaaaaaand so it begins.  People download a pre-release, load it with mods, complain that it broke, then (let me guess) never quite get around to duplicating it in pure stock or filing a bug report