Update 1.2.9 Pre-release: Localization Pack is here!

UomoCapra

11 minutes ago, Ruka said:

Did you use steam version? I'm using steam version and try to switch language in preview but it didn't work.

Yes, I'm using the Steam version. Note that when you change from English to Chinese or Japanese, it downloads the ~150 MB language files on the fly, and you need to wait for that download to finish, so if you change the setting and immediately run the game I imagine it would still be in English.

6 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes, I'm using the Steam version. Note that when you change from English to Chinese or Japanese, it downloads the ~150 MB language files on the fly, and you need to wait for that download to finish, so if you change the setting and immediately run the game I imagine it would still be in English.

I know that but when i change language, steam did't download anything. Is that internet problem or just wrong setting?

11 minutes ago, Ruka said:

I know that but when i change language, steam did't download anything. Is that internet problem or just wrong setting?

Have you opted into the pre-release? Check the Betas tab in Steam, the languages are only available as part of the pre-release at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Ruka said:

Impossible for me to say. Are you changing the language setting in the correct place? There are two of them in Steam.

I've been having the same problem and haven't found anything that works. And yes, I know how to switch languages and install pre-release builds, as mentioned in the thread linked below, other games change language fine, it's just KSP giving me problems.

Edited by DMagic

Continuing the theme of weird requests... any chance of making the 64 bit player the default when launching from Steam, or a way to make that selection permanent (without resorting to %command hijinks in the launch options)

Even having the 32/64 picker show up when you launch from a steam shortcut would be nice, currently you only see this if you launch from the library list inside Steam which is a bit inconvenient.

And yes I know you can make a direct x64 player shortcut, but if you launch the executable directly you don't get the Steam overlay (or the option for Steam screenshots) etc

On 3/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, HebaruSan said:

Chinese:

8QdUvZp.png

Japanese:

UkTjLOq.png

Something about the thicknesses, angles, curves, etc. makes both look very light-hearted to me.

I don't care for the Chinese font. For some reason it reminds me of Comic Sans. Maybe it's the way that there is no variation in stroke width, or maybe it's just that there is no distinction between strokes, so everything sort of smears together.

The Japanese is much better in these aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the beta and i take it off and go back to regular, and now I AM GETTING THIS TELLING TELLING ME I CANTPLAY BECAUSE OF emptysteamdeport, WHAT IS THAT!!! someone help me 

Edited by Hallahan

On 25/03/2017 at 8:17 PM, NoMrBond said:

Continuing the theme of weird requests... any chance of making the 64 bit player the default when launching from Steam, or a way to make that selection permanent (without resorting to %command hijinks in the launch options)

Even having the 32/64 picker show up when you launch from a steam shortcut would be nice, currently you only see this if you launch from the library list inside Steam which is a bit inconvenient.

And yes I know you can make a direct x64 player shortcut, but if you launch the executable directly you don't get the Steam overlay (or the option for Steam screenshots) etc

Steam shortcuts do honour Launch options set in steam. I've set the KSP 64-bit with %command% etc and a newly created desktop shortcut launches the 64-bit with Steam overlay. Whilst I agree the 64-bit probably does need to be the default by now, I suspect short of setting that default, the problem lies in the Steam implementation of different launch configurations and the inability in Steam to set a default selection... Citing the 'Play GTA' vs 'Play GTA online'... I never want to play the single player any more! :)

Meanwhile, %command% setting works in every practical way.

10 minutes ago, BadLeo said:

Hum... a vanilla Delta-V-meter for the VAB would be nice. Is it to late too ask for that feature? :D

It's never too late to ask, but it's definitely too late for that to be added to 1.3 or the pre-release.

On 4/23/2017 at 2:07 PM, BadLeo said:

Hum... a vanilla Delta-V-meter for the VAB would be nice. Is it to late too ask for that feature? :D

Only if it's only available on easy mode or togglable in options.  Otherwise you might as well just have a "build my rocket" button.

Having an accurate delta-V readout is not a "build my rocket" button or a cheat or any other sort of goosery.  It's basic information, like the part count or the velocity readout or the altimeter.

Do you use maneuver nodes, rather than plotting all your burns by hand/with protractor and slide rule?  I mean, if you think that the game shouldn't give delta-V figures, it should be consistent and not tell you how much the burn is going to take, either.  Figure it out yourself!

How about orbital plots?  I remember when the game didn't provide those, because they hadn't been coded yet.  Would you like to go back to that?

Edited by Commander Zoom

Perhaps I came out of the gate swinging a bit hard on that one.

Maneuver nodes are not available at game start in Career Mode; you need to do some work and upgrade first to earn them, which makes sense because the Kerbals need to learn how to do it.  If we want to take orbital plots away in the very beginning of the game and turn it into a lower level upgrade, I wouldn't have a problem with that because again, it makes sense to the game flow.

I usually do calculate my own burns because the in-game calculator is inaccurate in many cases, such as when you have a powerful rocket but a tiny maneuver, or you plot the maneuver before staging, and you'll need to do it yourself anyway if you want an accurate burn that crosses a stage, or if you plot your maneuver and then exit the game or just go back to KSC and return later.

I can see a delta-v calculator being an upgrade-enabled feature, but I really hope it would be toggleable because it removes an entire segment of the gameplay.  At its heart, KSP is a rocket science game; the first challenge in executing missions is designing a rocket that meets the mission profile, which involves meeting a delta-v budget.  The delta-v budget of the rocket is a function of the rocket's design so if you're just going to slap a number on the screen, designing a rocket can degrade into a hunt-and-peck in the parts list rather than a design effort.  Even with the maneuver node tool, you need to know how orbital basics to use maneuvers to effect the trajectories you want.

That said, I admit that I am fairly draconian when it comes to game mechanics.  I design my rockets with spreadsheets and calculators and actually fly test missions to see what works.  I play the game because I am a gigantic nerd and I /enjoy/ doing the math to calculate these things and love the feeling of accomplishment when a mission plays out exactly as it should because I can look back at my own paper trail and see how I got there from here.  I know that not everyone plays like this so I can definitely see the appeal of such a thing, but it would hurt my personal experience.  I figure, if everyone else can talk about the things they want to see to make the game more exciting for them, why can't I talk about the things that would make the game less exciting for me.

16 hours ago, Commander Zoom said:

Having an accurate delta-V readout is not a "build my rocket" button or a cheat or any other sort of goosery.  It's basic information, like the part count or the velocity readout or the altimeter.

Do you use maneuver nodes, rather than plotting all your burns by hand/with protractor and slide rule?  I mean, if you think that the game shouldn't give delta-V figures, it should be consistent and not tell you how much the burn is going to take, either.  Figure it out yourself!

How about orbital plots?  I remember when the game didn't provide those, because they hadn't been coded yet.  Would you like to go back to that?

That.

Also, the game ins't made more challenging when it hides such basic information. It makes for a grinding experience, instead. The challenge of games, specially simulations and open ended ones, comes from forcing the player to apply creativity and ingenuity to the use of tools and info provided by the game to achieve the desired outcomes. Besides, showing delta-V figures is more likely to make people use maths and make calculations than hiding it, which is a plus.

EDIT: If for no other reason, having a stock delta-V-meter will significantly reduce the number of stranded Kerbals through the Kerbol system, which is a noble goal worth of being chased. Stock delta-V-meter for a higher chance of returning home in time for dinner!

Edited by BadLeo

I've been living under a rock and havent played KSP since before the satellite network feature. Though, I've been keeping up with the news from time to time, hoping the game would evolve to the direction I hope for. Sadly for me it hasn't been the case.

Although new features are always welcome, I often wonder why some obscure features get incorporated into stock while others blatantly needed features keep being overlooked. We got the whole satellite network feature, with all its complexity; we got the whole localization effort which involves retexturing a good part of the game; we got some sort of mod which has to do with a telescope thing around eve or something like that; but still.. STILL delta-v readouts aren't part of the stock game??? That's like super basic when compared to all the other complex features being put into stock!

One might say 'there are mods for that'. But I'm willing to bet most of the player base has a delta-v readout mod installed. How can that not be stock, while some specific telescope mission is? What is the criteria for choosing what goes into stock?

Also, the game keeps getting much more complex. I know you can switch the satellite feature off, but should we really expect people to go on deploying whole satellite networks without a simple, integrated delta-v readout? How can the stock game not provide the necessary tools for the features it offers? I know there must be a bunch of geniuses here that don't need dv values, but for the average joe like me, you either end up having to install a mod anyway, or face constant frustration.

For the next big update, I've read parts may malfunction while in-flight. Is that so? Is the game going still more complex, while still not offering a simple delta-v readout?

4 hours ago, X-SR71 said:

I've been living under a rock and havent played KSP since before the satellite network feature. Though, I've been keeping up with the news from time to time, hoping the game would evolve to the direction I hope for. Sadly for me it hasn't been the case.

Although new features are always welcome, I often wonder why some obscure features get incorporated into stock while others blatantly needed features keep being overlooked. We got the whole satellite network feature, with all its complexity; we got the whole localization effort which involves retexturing a good part of the game; we got some sort of mod which has to do with a telescope thing around eve or something like that; but still.. STILL delta-v readouts aren't part of the stock game??? That's like super basic when compared to all the other complex features being put into stock!

One might say 'there are mods for that'. But I'm willing to bet most of the player base has a delta-v readout mod installed. How can that not be stock, while some specific telescope mission is? What is the criteria for choosing what goes into stock?

Also, the game keeps getting much more complex. I know you can switch the satellite feature off, but should we really expect people to go on deploying whole satellite networks without a simple, integrated delta-v readout? How can the stock game not provide the necessary tools for the features it offers? I know there must be a bunch of geniuses here that don't need dv values, but for the average joe like me, you either end up having to install a mod anyway, or face constant frustration.

For the next big update, I've read parts may malfunction while in-flight. Is that so? Is the game going still more complex, while still not offering a simple delta-v readout?

Totally agree. These big projects are overshadowing easier wins. A dv readout should have been in the game at release IMO. Life support should be really easy to implement as well, but instead Squad chose to implement Remote Tech which is waaaay harder. I don't really understand their prioritization process.