Those 2 guidance units

The 2 guidance units (high level probe core) can serve as relay to control probes without a direct contact with Kerbin. It's said that the smaller one can control with a pilot withing 1 hop (direct contact ?) and the biggest one support multihop. We need a pilot on the station though.

BUT

Do I have to set the guidance unit on the station or on the probe ?

Can I build probes with simpler cores and set the guidance unit on my station (which is crewed with nice pilots) ?

Thx

44 minutes ago, bewing said:

You need an advanced probe core, a pilot, and a relay antenna on a station -- and they can control any unkrewed probe in range.

This got me wondering whether you can remote control a craft that has an empty command module and no probe core.  Answer: nope.  Remote control also does not help if you have a Scientist or Engineer on board the probe, but no Pilot or probe core.  

So the "probe" craft needs a probe core for remote control to work.  But only the "master" craft needs one with remote control functionality. 

EDIT: One more observation.  If your "probe" has a core with only partial (or no) SAS functions, you only get those functions even if being remote controlled by an experienced pilot.  In other words, remote control can't give a probe more functionality than it would have had by itself under the old pre-CommNet system. 

Edited by Aegolius13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.