Just now, eloquentJane said:

Very true, but Vostok is comparable to the Mercury program (which stock KSP already has parts inspired by) while the Gemini program fills the niche of technological development for advanced orbital operations before Apollo (also represented by stock KSP) took the next step and went to the Moon.

Soyuz does the same, hopefully we'll see some parts for that instead. I'm not super hot for more American-styled parts.

Would fit into their forced LOLKERBALSHAVECLASSESBECAUSEWEHAVE3KERBALS paradigm as well.

33 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

All that and more.. and it's not contract based. It's a Mission.

Does this interact with career mode, or does it just create a 1-off scenario?

In the former case, instead of taking "Explore the Mun" could the player design a mission to land, collect specific science, then return/transmit that science to Kerbin, then return the crew?

4 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Someone's probably going to go replicate the expansion's features in a third party tool. Then you're paying for the UI and donating money to Squad, which is... not that bad, actually.

They're not going to be able to copy it exactly. I'm pretty sure that's illegal to some degree (probably falls under piracy). And I suspect the DLC will include something that's not easy to replicate in the stock game without some complex added code, which is really what's being paid for (that would be the "Missions", which from the sounds of things are not based on any existing functionality since they are apparently neither contracts nor scenarios).

Would the early model Soyuz-inspired thing force EVA to move from one craft to another? :wink: 

Having both flavors of capsule is awesome, but it really, really begs for a Space Race mode of some sort...

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

In fairness, Vokshod I included a pilot, an engineer, and a physician :wink:

And I'll bet you every single one of them was trained to handle the craft in the case of an emergency, including being able to activate the stability control (that thing you need to re-enter the atmosphere). :wink:

4 minutes ago, regex said:

And I'll bet you every single one of them was trained to handle the craft in the case of an emergency, including being able to activate the stability control (that thing you need to re-enter the atmosphere). :wink:

Real astronauts (& cosmonauts/taikonauts/etc) are always trained for emergency situations, but they do still have specializations. Not everyone who goes to space has to be capable of doing all of the tasks that are required for the main mission, just the ones that are required for their part of the mission and the ones that are required for emergency situations (like manual docking maneuvers in the event that the automated systems malfunction). Obviously there has to be some redundancy, hence multiple crew members to begin with, but much of the work done in space (particularly on space stations) tends to be scientific studies that need someone who specializes in that particular area of study.

Edited by eloquentJane

5 minutes ago, Oscar Kerman said:

and  multiplayer when?

A month or so ago, in the parallel universe where the devs on that project didn't leave. They also have the Porjket part revamp released stock.

Edited by Jarin

Lets see when did I buy this beautiful game,  2013-02-15  Sweet! @SQUAD if you guys setup a way for us who are eligible for the free DLCs to throw some money at you I'll do it. I'm excited to see what comes of the historical missions. Hopefully they add Gemini and Soyuz type parts. 

15 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Real astronauts (& cosmonauts/taikonauts/etc) are always trained for emergency situations, but they do still have specializations. Not everyone who goes to space has to be capable of doing all of the tasks that are required for the main mission, just the ones that are required for their part of the mission and the ones that are required for emergency situations (like manual docking maneuvers in the event that the automated systems malfunction). Obviously there has to be some redundancy, hence multiple crew members to begin with, but much of the work done in space (particularly on space stations) tends to be scientific studies that need someone who specializes in that particular area of study.

I don't recall disputing that, did I? Or did you take my objections to a forced and ... quite frankly ill-thought-out game mechanic as implication of that my ignorance of that?

Edited by regex

Sounds awesome. I'll definitely buy it!

And to those that don't like the idea of paid DLCs... look at Crusader Kings 2. This game is 5 years old and received constant development and lots of expansions, making it even better - all because of the players who kept buying the DLCs. Paradox made millions and in return we got a great game. 

@regex - So maybe clarify the objection then?

Specialties exist/existed (the example I tossed out there, ironically, being a pilot, engineer, and (arguably) a scientist).  Crew are trained for emergency situations, etc.  In stock, only pilots can create maneuver nodes without comms (i.e. for flying a vessel, pilots are better), nor can non-pilots operate the SAS in career mode.  So I am a bit confused as to the point you were making.

(for clarity, we're talking about the whole ' LOLKERBALSHAVECLASSESBECAUSEWEHAVE3KERBAL' thing).

Edited by RoverDude

9 hours ago, Woodstar said:

KSP finally succumbed to the DLC virus.

From what I've just read content isn't worth more than $9.99, comparing to other DLC's

DLC is just the new word for expansions, which have been around for decades.  DLC is bad if its just horse armour or new skins, but this does sound like it adds actual stuff.

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

@regex - So maybe clarify the objection then?

Well, since we're having the discussion... Classes (seem to) exist purely so that Kerbals can have classes. They make no realistic sense and they make very little gameplay sense in terms of progression either; Engineers aren't useful unless you have a ground program or until/if you are doing ISRU, scientists don't matter after the tech tree is finished, pilots don't matter after you get a sufficient probe core, and seriously, why the hell can't ANY Kerbal press the "t" key? I know why, it's so that we have to bring a pilot along, right? Such awesome gameplay!.

Classes exist purely to justify a three Kerbal capsule.

In other words, LOLKERBALSHAVECLASSESBECAUSEWEHAVE3KERBALS. Literally.

Kerbal skills would actually matter in a game with a real career mode, where kerbals were capable of autonomy.

Then the pilots would be able to do routine things like execute maneuver nodes quite well, but might sometimes over shoot, then have to follow the node marker and correct (wasting propellant as the downside, along with perhaps satisfying the maneuver node with the target orbit very slightly off (meaningful if you aim for 61 km at Duna, and get 58, say). Pilot skill would reduce the error/overshoot, and all kerbals perhaps do it, but the pilots even at skill 0 do it better. Engineers might EVA and fix stuff, or on stations, they might EVA and have the ability to part weld (select 2 parts on a station, hit "weld" and then any engineers aboard EVA and make it happen over X hours divided by the number of engineers on EVA times their skill). Scientist kerbals might walk around after landing, and find the science possible (Jeb taking a sample gets 5 out of 120 points, but the scientists might get X*skill science for every hour of EVA or something).

The autonomy need not be insanely detailed, but it would make skills/classes matter.

Though I'm slightly annoyed about paid expansions, how could I not buy it after being addicted to this game for 3 years. (Though please don't make them the norm for new content) This annoucement has restored my faith in the management and dev team and I'm really looking forward to this.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

23 minutes ago, regex said:

Well, since we're having the discussion... Classes (seem to) exist purely so that Kerbals can have classes. They make no realistic sense and they make very little gameplay sense in terms of progression either; Engineers aren't useful unless you have a ground program or until/if you are doing ISRU, scientists don't matter after the tech tree is finished, pilots don't matter after you get a sufficient probe core, and seriously, why the hell can't ANY Kerbal press the "t" key? I know why, it's so that we have to bring a pilot along, right? Such awesome gameplay!.

Classes exist purely to justify a three Kerbal capsule.

In other words, LOLKERBALSHAVECLASSESBECAUSEWEHAVE3KERBALS. Literally.

We're going to have to really agree to disagree on this one, considering the mission I cited was a historic one with 'classes' that happen to match what we have in stock, and two of the crew members had minimal flight training....

Edited by RoverDude

Meh. I didn't fancy historical parts that much. I guess it's good for those that are into it. I would like some new parts to help with spaceplanes. And to fix the drag on some parts. Still, it's something. Just not something I am interested in buying.

11 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

We're going to have to really agree to disagree on this one

You asked, I explained. It's one of the few mechanics left in the game that make me really mad. Even career mode makes more sense than the classes to me (I just don't find it compelling gameplay).

11 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

, considering the mission I cited was a historic one with 'classes' that happen to match what we have in stock, and two of the crew members had minimal flight training....

Fortunately the Soviet scientist and physician knew where to find and what buttons to press in order to steady the craft in case their pilot passed out or something (or it would have simply stayed in its orientation because the system didn't suddenly deactivate when their pilot passed out), and they could execute maneuvers planned out by and press other buttons dictated by mission control if they needed to get their pilot back to Earth or to a space station or something.