30 minutes ago, /not/pol/ said:

most likely not under a month after it became available on steam.

As they explained in the announcement of the April 2013 deadline, SQUAD's original intention was that no one would get expansions for free (emphasis added):

Above all, is the admittedly quite grey area concerning what constitutes an update or an expansion to KSP and most importantly, what our promise of “all future updates for free” actually means.

[...]

So given that this was a point of confusion, and that we believe that no matter what, a promise is a promise, we are including Expansions in what you can expect to get for free if you have already bought the game. Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013).

We have to admit though, up until now, we hadn’t considered Expansion Packs to be the same as updates to KSP. That was in large part because we really had no plans for actual expansions at all.

The only reason anyone gets free expansions is because the EULA was worded ambiguously up to that point. When the problem became apparent, they changed it with a short grace period.

It's not favoritism, or discrimination against Steam users, or an unfair deadline, etc. It's a situation where they made a mistake, and dealt with it responsibly; users who might reasonably have thought they were purchasing free expansions got them, and everyone else got a clear announcement that expansions would be paid. Possibly SQUAD's best public relations exercise.

13 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Some questionable content has been removed, keep it clean and coherent please.

Aside from being on a certain beach aswell... What does Kungalush! mean Mr. Frybert ...Nixon??

8 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

(...) The only reason anyone gets free expansions is because the EULA was worded ambiguously up to that point. When the problem became apparent, they changed it with a short grace period. (...)

Let me start by saying that it's perfectly reasonable for Squad to charge for expansions and that I applaud it, as it's a way to fund future development (and expansions) of the game. I'd rather pay a little bit for fresh content, than not getting anything at all.

At the same time, the was very, very little ambiguity in the promises Squad made back in the day. I'm paraphrasing here, which gets me on a slippery slope of course, but while I cannot find my car keys in the morning my memory is pretty good on this one: “we will never charge you for any upgrades, ever.” 

The reason I remember this vividly is because I also remember thinking “wow, that's fairly short sighted. At one point you will have sold the game to everyone you can possible sell it to. How to fund development from that point onward?” To me, claiming that they only meant updates and not expansions seems like a legal cop-out (“weaseling out”) to me.

Again, I have no problem paying for DLC. And perhaps their legal team advised against saying “yeah, we made that promise, and in hindsight, that was really dumb. Because we can't fund future development of KSP that way. So we're sorry but we're going to kinda break that promise and we WILL charge for expansions in the future. But because we're standup guys, we will honor our commitment to anyone who has bought the game up to this date

Because I feel that's what really happened. And I'm fine with that. We all make mistakes. But saying we never meant free expansions... Meh.

I do not believe any reasonable person believes entire expansions, which can be wholly other game systems, should be free if they love the game. Updates, sure, but expansions? Ask for expansions to be free is like asking for your favorite game to die because it has no funding to keep it going. Please be reasonable. 

Even if the developer tried to offer free expansions, if they intended to keep developing and I truly loved the game as I do this one, I'd beg them to take my money instead.

That said, I think those not familiar with the gaming development community will easily get the two mixed up. I think Squad found the right compromise. I may be buying the expansion and giving it to friends who do not get it free just to support the game.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I am truly saddened by the way some people are about this DLC. Its very simple....no wanty - no buyey.

As for the "deadline" so what? A gets for free but B has to pay? And?

Welcome to the world we call REAL LIFE. I'm actually in the B catagory yet you won't find me crying about it....

... I'll pay IF I want too - my KSP experience won't change if I don't want the extra content.

I will more than likely pay as it's helping the geniuses who are continuing with this great game.

Enough said from me I think. ....

Edited by maceemiller
Spelling

On 08/05/2017 at 11:10 AM, The Flying Kerbal said:

You're not the only one mate!  As soon as I read players could recreate historic flights and missions, that was me well and truly hooked.

My opinion is that a lot of players wish that KSP was more suited to recreating the Earth space race, it has been said on these forums many times, and each time ignored until extra money could be charged for the privilege.

2 hours ago, /not/pol/ said:

at the very least the mission editor could be part of an update instead of expansion seeing as how its a basic feature most games have. if only given extra functionality with the expansion

Stock, you can already:
-write new contracts
-build new scenarios
-propose/accept challenges to/from the community

With mods, you can already:
-rearrange and modify stock planets
-create entirely new planets
-cause random or event-driven part failures
-make things that could accurately be described as "missions"
-acquire replica parts of nearly every real-life spacecraft
-attach parachutes to EVA'd kerbals

Every feature the Making History expansion reports to include already exists somewhere within the community, and many can be found in the stock game. I don't know how SQUAD expects to compete with the community, except by their ethos.

12 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Stock, you can already:
-write new contracts
-build new scenarios
-propose/accept challenges to/from the community

With mods, you can already:
-rearrange and modify stock planets
-create entirely new planets
-cause random or event-driven part failures
-make things that could accurately be described as "missions"
-acquire replica parts of nearly every real-life spacecraft
-attach parachutes to EVA'd kerbals

Every feature the Making History expansion reports to include already exists somewhere within the community, and many can be found in the stock game. I don't know how SQUAD expects to compete with the community, except by their ethos.

Creating new contracts and scenarios are NOT part of stock and require alot of cfg work that could be very hard for newcomers.

I'm not expecting it in this expansion, and you all have probably heard this idea before, but career mode would be impossible to stop playing if they added an option for rivalry space agencies.

Seriously, the only reason everyone cared so much about the moon landing was because of the space race with russia

Edited by Arustyred

4 hours ago, Toriatrix said:

Bought the game for 15USD in april 2012, i'm still waiting on multiplayer. 

Who cares about this DLC... 

I'm still waiting to hear what people would do with multiplayer that actually requires multiplayer, that can't be done in any other flight sim. The only thing I can think of is building your own aircraft to dogfight with. Realistically, those people want a new game created, something like Kerbal Air and Ground Warfare. Anything else, you may as well be playing alone, IMHO

Multiplayer isn't as easy as it sounds...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Although "missions" appear to be a separate game mode not contributing anything to a Career Mode game, I hope / would like to see the new parts available for use in career mode. Which means they would have to be assigned values for the tech tree.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, regex said:

Are you going to include a list of mods in the scoring? Or even the concept of "player used mods"?

Really good question here; scoring will differ wildly depending on mods used.  The included "historical missions" will be subject to a "top scores" thread somewhere in the forums, I am sure.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Galacticvoyager said:

Sooooo...

Image result for breathes in boi meme

What are missions...

Another planetary base has sent word that they need our help! I'll mark it on your map.

Edited by Starwaster