36 minutes ago, KSK said:

Regarding KSP, that's a difficult question. I bought the game back in 2013 - honestly can't remember exactly when, so I may or may not be eligible for free DLC but that's not important.

Well just like me. The new owner may take some time to sort everything out completely and may surprise the userbase with some sort of a 'Roadmap' where everything that cliffhangs from 1 to 4 Years back in time (etc.) gets sorted out and we all then know what is happening.... If this happens we all know what is going on. Maybe all those long awaited thing's were (absolutely by pure and sheer accident) held back because stuff like 'additional gas planet 2' or 'Multiplayer' or 'DV readout' perfecly fits into the DLC sheme.

Soon we'll know what direction the ship is sailing.

12 hours ago, Physics Student said:

This is the 11.111 th post in the announcements forum:

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DLC! 

*musik starting to play*

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
And I know, I know, I know, I know
I know I want you

We shouldn't even think about tomorrow
Sweet memories will last a long, long time

We'll have a good time baby, don't you worry

And if we're still playing 'round, boy that's just fine
Let's get excited, we just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
And I know, I know, I know, I know

I know I want you, I want you

Why are you so happy? Its not coming out until 2197.

Edited by The Moose In Your House

7 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

how much longer until the release? ETA?

Trust me, they won't say... most often @SQUAD don't know themselves until the last couple days before a release. :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, StupidAndy said:

ah ok, like school stuff :D

Well, sort of.  lol.

From what I understand it depends on a number of things, especially if there is a pre-release so they can find and squash any bugs. This is the biggest unknown, the time factor depending on if there are a lot or just a few bugs to deal with.

And I'm sure there are a bunch of behind the scenes stuff we're not privy too...

In a nutshell, they'll release it as soon as they think it's ready... and if we're really, really lucky, and we don't bug them too much... we may get a heads up a day or two in advance... maybe.

Just now, Just Jim said:

Well, sort of.  lol.

From what I understand it depends on a number of things, especially if there is a pre-release so they can find and squash any bugs. This is the biggest unknown, the time factor depending on if there are a lot or just a few bugs to deal with.

And I'm sure there are a bunch of behind the scenes stuff we're not privy too...

In a nutshell, they'll release it as soon as they think it's ready... and if we're really, really lucky, and we don't bug them too much... we may get a heads up a day or two in advance... maybe.

it would be nice if we could preorder it, but oh well :/

2 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

it would be nice if we could preorder it, but oh well :/

yeah, I'd send them the $$$ now, but for all we know, they're still working out what the final price will be.

Edited by Just Jim

paid DLC ad sill no compete against AI single player..BOO

I'll still get the DLC... but i was hoping for competitive single player vs AI before this DLC started happening.... now they will make us pay for it, if it even ever happens

Coming back from a hiatus, I might chime in here a bit late. Unfortunately, this expansion does not excite me at all.

- New parts of "historic" design, which probably just do the same job as all other parts, will just clutter up the UI.

- Historic missions are of no interest to me.

- Mission builder is a meta-game-y aspect which I am not interested to play.

I would advocate an entirely different direction for Kerbal Space Program: Don´t look back, look into the future! Like,

- Some advancement in tech, like the new SpaceX Merlin engines with better ISP ratings. (Near or far future mods tend to overdo this, I want something modest and realistic)

- What about economic and social exploitation of space? Tourist missions and ISRU harvesting are just a start, what about colonies? The stock parts are woefully lacking here. Mods like USI and MKS look good but seem to overdo things, especially when simplification is one of the strengths of KSP.

So, bottomline, I will wait until KSP starts to look forwards and implements new systems to add new gameplay, like colony or social and economic management.

A really interesting message by Falkenherz, and it just goes to show the difficulties the developers of KSP have to face.

Falkenherz is more interested in the future conquest of space, with colonies and modern to near future engines, etc.  Not a thing wrong with that, a perfectly reasonable and valid request it is for KSP to offer them in a future upgrade.

And then there's me, and I'm pretty much the opposite to Falkenherz.  Colonies, etc. don't really appeal to me, whereas the early days of struggling to even get into space never mind making orbit is what I find fascinating.  If the developers were to spend the next twenty years developing and refining this aspect of KSP, it would still not be enough for me.

So there we have two totally opposing wishlists and we expect the poor sods who engineer this game to somehow accommodate them both, plus I'm sure many other views and opinions thrown into the mix as well!  They really can't win, although as I'm as happy as a clam to have such a great game as KSP already, I'll just wish them good luck and support them in whatever direction they take KSP.

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

Good thing it's a DLC, so all those people complaining here have the option simply not to buy it.

Stop complaining and go play League of Legends, that's what you get for free.

Edited by Physics Student

2 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

So there we have two totally opposing wishlists and we expect the poor sods who engineer this game to somehow accommodate them both, plus I'm sure many other views and opinions thrown into the mix as well!  They really can't win, although as I'm as happy as a clam to have such a great game as KSP already, I'll just wish them good luck and support them in whatever direction they take KSP.

I'll throw some added confusion into the mix then. :) I'd like to see both of yours and @Falkenherz's ideas included. I love the idea of starting from a humble beginning and struggling to get to space before gradually progressing through to all that near future colonisation of space stuff. That's what I hoped Career mode would be all about

I think (although please feel free to disagree) that both wish lists stem from a common cause - there's not actually very much to do in Career mode as it stands - or rather there's not much to do that's unique to Career mode and which builds on or adds to the sandbox experience.

After a couple of playthroughs, getting to orbit with early tech parts is a solved problem and, as the saying goes, once you're in orbit you're halfway to anywhere. There are other piloting challenges to master of course - rendezvous, docking, powered descents etc. but once you've mastered getting to orbit with 1.25m parts - which you do very early on if you're going to get anywhere in Career mode, then a sizeable chunk of the rocket building and design challenge is done - and there's not a lot to replace it.

End result - not much replayability or depth at either end of the career game. 

The good news is that done well, the  extra management aspects proposed by @Falkenherz should help make the early 'struggle for space' game more engaging and challenging too. At least they would in my opinion. :) So in principle I think Squad could cater to both of you, although that looks like a challenge for the next expansion or possibly a KSP2 if that's ever greenlit.

Edited by KSK

On 5/31/2017 at 5:01 AM, Sirad said:

Wrong. DLC dont pay the Bills. DLC was invented some years ago, as a way to press out more Money from da Kids, without enhancing Quality by just selling each bit separately. The Quality of the games would not enhance if 100 billion People buy the DLC. only the Wallets of the Shareholder will get better. A complete Game that once could have been purchased for 50$ now costs 500$ because it is sliced into 100 Pieces. Most People are just not enough enhanced in their mind to add all that together to realise that some games cost more than the Computer they are played on. Humans are dumb and the Developers just found out. The Game itself wont be any Better.

DLC is not for Funding the Game, its for increasing someones Wallet. Some games even have all functions inside and you have to Buy a DLC to get some Bits switched to acess that function.

This exactly.

It doesn't help that pretty much anything that the devs want to put in paid DLC could be made by a modder for free, because then they might think about restricting mods.....

42 minutes ago, KSK said:

I think (although please feel free to disagree) that both wish lists stem from a common cause

42 minutes ago, KSK said:

After a couple of playthroughs... a sizeable chunk of the rocket building and design challenge is done - and there's not a lot to replace it

LOL... nope, I can't disagree with you mate; I'm on my very first playthrough and so far am enjoying every single second of it, even when I'm yanking my hair out in frustration!  Currently all eyes and telescopes are locked on Duna and a new package is being cobbled together in the VAB

Maybe when I'm in the middle of my fifth or sixth career game, then I'll be in total agreement with you. :D

1 hour ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

LOL... nope, I can't disagree with you mate; I'm on my very first playthrough and so far am enjoying every single second of it, even when I'm yanking my hair out in frustration!  Currently all eyes and telescopes are locked on Duna and a new package is being cobbled together in the VAB

Maybe when I'm in the middle of my fifth or sixth career game, then I'll be in total agreement with you. :D

It's great isn't it!  That stage of the KSP experience was fantastic - figuring out how everything worked, finally nailing that Mun landing, figuring out better rendezvous techniques, going interplanetary... I loved all of that, my first Mun landing, bringing Jeb down the ladder, then jumping around in that sweet low gravity - that was one of my best gaming experiences bar none.

Don't get me wrong - I may not have much to say about the game right now but I remember the early days and they were awesome! Glad they're working for you too!

Some very nice replies to my posting, thank you for your insights!

I have done about five career games, and each one was different in scope and goals, using completely different approaches at design and logistics. So I can understand players who like to replay under different historic technologies and designs. However, my point about the lack of new gameplay option sticks, and that´s why such an expansion is rather "nice to have" but nothing really which propells the game forward as a true new content DLC should.

As an additional point, I had to observe that did not go beyond the Kerbin system in every one of those saves. Because the parts are not made for it, not realistic enough to pull it off. Well, except for unmanned flights, and the last expansion for remote controls did a lot to make it realistic enough. But there is no way that I cram e.g. Jebediah in a Mk1 pod and leave him in there for 3+ Kerbin years, just in order to reach Duna! I need a true interplanetary spaceship which also accomodates the "human aspect" of Kerbals, they are no robots! So, here is a second aspect beyond the pure gameplay and management aspect, some more "simplified realism" would be cool. This of course also directly feeds into the colonisation-idea, as management of Kerbals should be a much more central aspect there.

1 hour ago, Falkenherz said:

As an additional point, I had to observe that did not go beyond the Kerbin system in every one of those saves. Because the parts are not made for it, not realistic enough to pull it off. Well, except for unmanned flights, and the last expansion for remote controls did a lot to make it realistic enough. But there is no way that I cram e.g. Jebediah in a Mk1 pod and leave him in there for 3+ Kerbin years, just in order to reach Duna! I need a true interplanetary spaceship which also accomodates the "human aspect" of Kerbals, they are no robots! So, here is a second aspect beyond the pure gameplay and management aspect, some more "simplified realism" would be cool. This of course also directly feeds into the colonisation-idea, as management of Kerbals should be a much more central aspect there.

What would you consider the Hitchhiker storage container if not habitation space?

Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3 passenger compartments?

2-4 kerbals with a lab, a couple hitch-hikers, and perhaps a Mk3 cockpit or a smaller cockpit and a Mk3 passenger compartment seems like plenty of space for a nice, quick 100-day transit to Duna just using stock parts.

(a 3 year transit means leaving at pretty much the worst possible time or making multiple Kerbol orbits before encountering Duna, so I agree that that is pretty unrealistic since they can be there in less than 2 years, with the first year and a half of that staying home and waiting for a better transfer window) 

Admittedly, I like USI-LS as it gives some nice habitation options in addition to nicely configurable Life support and habitation requirements, but even stock has plenty of parts that make for good RP habitation.

I really like the idea, it is awesome. Yet i do not think it looks like that would come out in the next few years. Is there any proof of development? I would not be surprised if some features don't pop out as promised. I don't want my be a part of a hatedom like what happened with No Mans Sky.

Thats just my opinion though.

Yeah the hitchhiker is always a central part. I have built big interplanetary ships, but they were always a bit painful. E.g. centrifugal induced artifical gravity is possible to build with stock parts, but launching such a ship, or just being able to assemble it in orbit, is a major pain and requires for me a lot of suspension of disbelief.

BTW, using Mk1 command pod, adaptor and hitchiker makes for more efficient space than a Mk2 command pod, by almost 1 t less mass. Imagining this as "one big command pod" is already a stretch. It is little things like this, when they sum up, that they throw me a bit out of the game. I would like to have real dedicated parts instead of redundant historic parts like they seem to want to offer in the "making history" expansion.

Will the Making History events take place in the KSP system or a closer simulacrum of our real solar system?

I'm just wondering because things like dealing with the inclination of your launch sites vs the Moon is something the respective sides of the space race did (and do) have to deal with

Also, 5m parts kind of suggests the scale of the system for Making History is going up (or perhaps will be a difficulty option, ohhhhh please be a pickable/difficulty option), because a Saturn V with 5m S-IC/S-II stages in a KSP size system would be mighty overkill.  Either that or the parts would have to be really bad (mass fraction/ISP etc) to make those 5m parts necessary, which would seem a bit odd.

I'm still hoping that we'll see light/cryogenic fuels for Making History, because the US investment in cryogenic/hydrolox fuels/engines and the propulsive efficiency they provided really make the Saturn V's payload fraction possible.

Edited by NoMrBond
Accidentally a word

The future of humanity is going to bifurcate in two directions: Either it's going to become multiplanetary, or it's going to remain confined to one planet and eventually there's going to be an extinction event. "Elon Musk"

Modders look at it like this I think...

People should pursue what they're passionate about. That will make them happier than pretty much anything else.
"Elon Musk"....

If it is worth doing it will make money on it's own..... Great games are free, parts cost time or money  MHG....

Edited by Wrench Head