16 minutes ago, regex said:

Are you literally trying to guilt-trip someone into buying a product to keep a company afloat? The product should stand on its own against its competitors. Some will prefer it, others won't, but at the end of the day Squad needs to deliver something worthwhile in order to remain in business.

No, I was just calling him cheap in a sideways manner as he seems to have made the choice not to buy it before even seeing it, because he thinks he can get the same for free from mods.

Edited by klesh
for clarity.

1 minute ago, klesh said:

No, I was just calling him cheap in a sideways manner as he seems to have made the choice not to buy it before even seeing it, because he thinks he can get the same for free from mods.

So your intent was to insult them because they don't make choices the same way you do? I'm pretty sure insulting people is against the forum rules. Maybe a better tactic would have been to call out the obvious, that we've only seen a single part from this pack and then let the matter go because it's not your place to tell people how to spend their entertainment money.

I think that any sort of Mission editor (scenario is OK, career is better) is worth the price of a few fancy coffee drinks I get for my wife (or maybe 8-10 of the espressos I drink). Added parts? Sure, maybe some will be decent (my SSTU install deletes all the stock tanks, anyway).

On 3/17/2017 at 9:34 AM, Badie said:

Yes we will keep our promise 

Squad is definitely a model of integrity in an industry where integrity seems to be a relic of another time. Much kudos and much thanks are deserved.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I think that any sort of Mission editor (scenario is OK, career is better) is worth the price of...

I'd like to see some more details about it before declaring what it might be worth.

So far, all I remember seeing is that it's neither scenarios or career. 

Which leaves what?  Some new game mode we haven't heard about?

1 hour ago, regex said:

So your intent was to insult them because they don't make choices the same way you do? I'm pretty sure insulting people is against the forum rules.

This does kinda assume that the choice is the same to begin with. I remarked elsewhere how this isn't the case and why that might matter, but those posts have since been removed. Perhaps it's time to stop talking about each other's choices to buy or not to buy and get back to discussing the merits or otherwise of the hypothetical product. If you think people should buy it, surely the best thing to do is to comment on why you think it'll be a worthwhile investment. The best possible offer can still be turned down if it's simply too costly.

Does the mission editor effectively replace contract configurator and contract packs? Will it be much easier for people to create and share something like contract packs? 

There's a steep entry cost into creating good contracts currently and I think people underestimate how much community content will be gained with an intuitive mission editor.

44 minutes ago, John FX said:

It also seems AFAIK that the missions you make in it can`t be shared with people who do not have the DLC.

vOv

I would assume the same given that the code to use the missions is in the DLC with the base game only needing some new API functions to allow it.

I'm still curious as to exactly what missions do that contracts can't, though. But then I don't play career at all, let alone modded career, so I don't really know what contracts can and can't do.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

I'm still curious as to exactly what missions do that contracts can't, though. But then I don't play career at all, let alone modded career, so I don't really know what contracts can and can't do.

I'm hoping it's something like "Launch 3 Kerbals into LKO under 100km, then eject to Mun. Orbit Mun retrograde. Detatch a lander with 2 Kerbals in it from your craft and land it. Detatch a rover from the lander. Do science. Return to mun orbit with the 2 Kerbals, and dock to the same orbiter you left in orbit. Return those 3 Kerbals to the surface of or splashed down on Kerbin, with all the science collected on Mun's surface. Score is number of unique science reports recovered on Kerbin from a single biome on the surface of Mun divided by the cost of the craft in kilofunds."

Edited by 5thHorseman

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm hoping it's something like

Yes, your description would be exactly what I have in mind. Let's hope that in today's devnotes (or tomorrow's depending on timezone) they will talk more about it. 

12 hours ago, razark said:

Assume nothing.  It was stated that the missions could only be shared with others with the DLC.

Then we will have two levels of `stock`. One with and one without the DLC.

I am genuinely curious which side of the fence `stock purists` will fall on.

Will the DLC be regarded by them as a mod or not?

1 hour ago, John FX said:

Will the DLC be regarded by them as a mod or not?

For me, stock is what Squad officially released as part of the game (and not a mod). Asteroid Mod was a mod until it was integrated. If it was released as DLC, it would be stock from the start :) 

The main difference between an official mod and a DLC is that when game updates to new version, all DLCs are always compatible with the newest version, while you have to wait for mods to be updated. 

1 hour ago, John FX said:

I am genuinely curious which side of the fence `stock purists` will fall on.

The DLC is not stock. Stock is what everyone has available to them, the base game. DLCs, as someone said could be called 'stock+'.

19 hours ago, klesh said:

If there is a better LEGAL alternative to the stuff then you really have no case. It's SQUAD's business to provide a better experience through this payed DLC than the free mods can. If the same stuff can be provided for free by mods, then SQUAD's work isn't really worth that much, is it?

I am not interested in this DLC nor am I interested in mods related to this DLC theme. In general I am not interested in mods that alter the gameplay too much. However, if SQUAD cannot provide something worth buying, then people shouldn't buy the stuff.

I am generally interested in SQUAD making the game as good as it can be and I will buy worthwhile content if it seems reasonably priced and has a purpose that is interesting for me and enhances the game. However, if SQUAD fails to deliver something worthwhile, I don't buy it and even if the company goes under, I will be disappointed, but won't care too much. If the game dies, it will be because SQUAD failed to deliver, not because I didn't throw money at a company that does not deliver content I am interested in. I buy games because they're fun, not because companies need to exist. I like this game, I have no beef with the company, however I will pay for quality and not for charity.

I can't read through 22 pages, have they said whether it will be free for pre-April 2013 players?

BTW I'm juts asking, not complaining. Personally, KSP has been a superb investment, best hours of enjoyment per dollar ratio of any game I've had. I'd be willing to pay for the extra content with no problem, though getting a freebie would be better obviously :)

3 minutes ago, A_name said:

I can't read through 22 pages, have they said whether it will be free for pre-April 2013 players?

BTW I'm juts asking, not complaining. Personally, KSP has been a superb investment, best hours of enjoyment per dollar ratio of any game I've had. I'd be willing to pay for the extra content with no problem, though getting a freebie would be better obviously :)

Yes. I believe on page 1 or 2. :D

20 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm hoping it's something like "Launch 3 Kerbals into LKO under 100km, then eject to Mun. Orbit Mun retrograde. Detatch a lander with 2 Kerbals in it from your craft and land it. Detatch a rover from the lander. Do science. Return to mun orbit with the 2 Kerbals, and dock to the same orbiter you left in orbit. Return those 3 Kerbals to the surface of or splashed down on Kerbin, with all the science collected on Mun's surface. Score is number of unique science reports recovered on Kerbin from a single biome on the surface of Mun divided by the cost of the craft in kilofunds."

What you described is great, and I'd love it if that becomes possible with the DLC. However, the possibility for unknown events sounds even more intriguing. Something like a full fledged version of the K files, which starts out with "investigate the anomaly near X" which then points towards a heretofore unknown craft in orbit which has to be recovered, which then unlocks a new technology allowing you to detect an unusual asteroid, which contains a map to a special anomaly on Tylo...

Basically something like a multi-part quest in Skyrim which can reveal secrets and take unforeseen twists and turns.