KSP Weekly: What a week!

SQUAD

I was thinking more of the fact that with the small docking port, they'd need to keep a set of helmets in the capsule, and the MEM (using "Munar" for "Lunar" here :wink: ), because I'm not sure that the helmets will fit through the hatch...

Looks like a nice pod, though! (that said, I agree that a more "new" look tends to appeal to me, than the current stock "oil barrel" 2.5m tank color)

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

As noted earlier, it can fit two Kerbals (provided they are really good friends).

Well that's good to know. Model itself though is really nice. 

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I disagree. If you think two kerbals shouldn't be able to fit in the LEM, then just load one in.

As for the RSS/RO thing, I also disagree. IMHO, KSP is a semi-realistic game, realistic enough to provide a challenge, but not realistic enough to take the fun out of the game. I think that a RSS/RO DLC wouldn't result in as many sales as an expansion like Making History, because it would simply be too difficult, especially for new, eager players. 

It took me weeks to just get to the Mun and back in stock KSP when I started. Imagine trying to get into orbit in RSS! The furthest I got in RSS/RO was a satellite that barely made it into lunar orbit, before I quit realism due to difficulty.

New players especially might be deterred by that, and so not buy the expansion. This, of course, means SQUAD misses out on money, and might even lose money  if the DLC cost more to make than the earnings from said DLC (I understand that that's unlikely, but still). 

And lastly, the new historical parts don't necessarily need to be used for their purpose. Use them for whatever you want! Make a 300m tall monstrosity using 1.875m parts if you want, nothing's stopping you. I mean, people are making hinges out of THERMOMETERS! I think that the new parts will be used for much more than just a "few hours of play", since there are just so many things you can do with the parts in KSP. 

Reveal hidden contents

Wow. I just realized what a wall of text I just created. @Snark You happy now?! :D 

It is more of an opinion thing, and I get your point. I just felt like more of a visual change, like a planet difference, would be a much better change. There is for sure potential in the parts, but for me, it just seems like there is a lot of value. 

For the Realism DLC, of course it wouldn't be for everyone. Just like this historical pack won't be for everyone. If Sqaud does decide to do more DLCs, I just think that a realism upgrade would be really neat and give a whole new feeling to KSP for players to experience. 

To be clear, I am not saying the DLC has no value. We only got one part announced yet, I am just saying that historical parts seem to be a 1-time thing to me. 

Spoiler

P.S never be ashamed of a wall of text! Walls of texts are great! :D

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

They actually fit side by side (with helmets).  

Have you decided on the mass statistic? And, do you feel the Mk2 inline lander can is in a good game-balance place, for its mass? (A premium is placed on larger attachment nodes? Thinking of the times I have 'sacrificed structural integrity', and stacked 2 MK1's to save mass.)

2 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

You know that applies to every functional hatch in the game, right?

Yes, sadly. I would have made the hatches all larger, or the head/helmets smaller, because it has always bugged me.

"the current aesthetic is so uneven"

Um, like the ever so even aesthetic shared by the Apollo and Soyuz? I love the capability of building things with totally different looks in the same game.

Anyone know if 2.5m LF tanks are going in? That lack  in the last engine revamp trashed a bunch of my earlier NERVA designs...

Just now, DancesWithSquirrels said:

"the current aesthetic is so uneven"

Um, like the ever so even aesthetic shared by the Apollo and Soyuz? I love the capability of building things with totally different looks in the same game.

I think most of those criticisms are referring to the quality of the visuals rather than the diversity of them.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.