Airliner Safety Challenge

32 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Thought about it, but I consider them "cheats" so I didn't use them.

Well, if that's how you view them, you could always use them and then stick an ore tank and/or a few steel plates on to simulate their weight and drag for much fewer parts. Eh, to each his own. :)

i made a mid size one

5-35m/s stall 

20-the tailstrike rule

10-all survive a land in water  

20-everybody survives a belly-land if done propperly

10-has airbrakes

20- has 7 engines and can run on 2

851m/s

3271km

2 atendants

32 pasangers

for the speed

32 kerbals 

for a clear wiew of the plane 

intirier wiew 

Edited by martiplay28yt
missing space

Here's my entry for the light category.  I fully admit this sorta exploits the rules by being a fast, super-long-endurance plane.  I could have probably made it go around kerbin a few more times too (my record is 14!), but this was quick and dirty:

QYVpGZW.png

Scoring (only including things that both affect the score and that I've tested):

Max Speed: 1584m/s
Cannot tailstrike on takeoff: 20
Simple air/fuel: 10
Needs all engines: -20
Can burn up: -10
Range: 10x around Kerbin (plus about 30 min of reserve) at approximately 26km altitude, so (626*6.28*10) = 39,313 km
Passengers: 2
Ditch in water without damage or losing crew/passengers: 20+10

Score:
1584 + 39313/10 + 2*5 + 20 + 10 + 20 + 10 -20-10 = 5555

OP, may I suggest a cap on the number of points available from the aircraft's range?  I would suggest a maximum cap of 360 points from that part of the score.

Edited by zolotiyeruki

16 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

OP, may I suggest a cap on the number of points available from the aircraft's range?  I would suggest a maximum cap of 360 points from that part of the score.

I'll just remind you guys that there are other mathematical functions available, too. Roots and logarithms, for example... The coefficients are just a matter of politics but really, those kind of functions would stop mindless spam and make other options more lucrative. Even KSP itself uses nonlinear functions for calculating things like reputation.

K84 Passenger Plane

Super heavy ( 80 passengers, two flight attendants, and two pilots)

Range- when flown perfectly( which is NOT all that easy) about 2700 kilometers

Max speed- 288 m/s

• Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff (20 points)
  • Your plane stalls at less than 50m/s (5 points)
  • Your plane does not need SAS to fly stably (20 points)
  • Your plane does not need trim adjustment to fly straight and level.  This only stacks with the non SAS points. (10 points)
  • Your plane has three engines and can fly on two (5 points)
  • Your plane has three engines and can fly on one (30 points)
  • Your plane can belly land with all crew and passengers surviving (20 points)
  • Your plane has airbrakes (10 points)
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with all crew surviving (10 points)
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with no damage (20 points)
  • Your plane can fly on any two engines. - not sure how many points this is, but let's say 30.

• Point malus:
  • Your plane solely relies on alternators on the main engines for power- has one battery, so.. -5 points?

288+(2700/10)+((80*5)*1+(2/2))+175

288+270+400+1+175

=1134! 

Thats the new lowest score on the super heavy!

14 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

@Rath, could we get an update on the scoreboard? Already 3 planes have topped points in the superheavy and light categories.

Yep, I'm doing it now.

EDIT: Switched up the engine out points to percentages.

Edited by Rath

On 3/27/2017 at 8:38 PM, NotAnAimbot said:

(+_+) mobile y u do dis

Anyways, I feel like engine out system is hard make work well. On one hand, the new percentage system helps make it applicable to aircraft with any number of engines, and helps to (somewhat) reduce incentive to spam unneeded engines for points.

But on the other hand, it gives the same amount of points to, say, a quadjet aircraft with two engines out as to a twinjet aircraft with one engine out, even though the quadjet is contending with a scenario which is (theoretically) far less likely than that that the twinjet is contending with. To demonstrate the problem, let's do some math.

Spoiler

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that there are no uncontained engine failures that take out other engines. We'll also ignore something like a flock of Canada geese or a volcanic ash cloud that could take out all engines on a plane at once.

Suppose the chance of any given engine going out during a particular flight is 0.01%.

The twinjet has a 2 x 0.01% = 0.02% chance of needing to fly with one of it's engines out.

Meanwhile, the quadjet has a 4 x 0.01%  = 0.04% chance of needing to fly with one of it's engines out. This makes sense, since a quadjet has twice as many engines, thus twice the number of engines that could go bust on any given flight. So at first our system seems reasonable.

But we want to know what the chances are of it needing to fly with two engines out. The chances for another engine to go out in a flight once one of them is already out would be 3 x 0.01 = 0.03%. So for two engines to go out that's 0.04% x 0.03% = 0.000012%! (If you think that math doesn't work, remember that 100% is probability 1. You divide by 100 before multiplying, then multiply by 100 again later to get the percentage.)

So the quadjet is getting the same number of points for coping with a situation that is immensely less likely than that of the twinjet. Hmm...

However awarding points linearly for each engine isn't great either, as it incentivizes the spamming of engines for large numbers of points... Catch 22 I guess :P

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Og4CZC5.jpg

Supersonic Passenger Jet - Phoenix Aerospace's FireStar

Tested Range: Approx. 2100km 

Maximum Speed: Mach ~4.5 or 1362m/s

Cruising Altitude: 18,000m to 20,000m

Passenger Capacity: 8

Cannot Tailstrike - 20 points

Does not need SAS to fly stably - 20 points

Does not need trim - 10 points

Can fly on 33.3% of engines - 30 points

Has airbrakes - 10 points

Can fly on any two engines - assuming 5 points because of 66.6% rule

Total Bonus: 95 Points

Score

1362 + (2100km / 10) + (8 * 5) * 1 + 0 + 95

1362 + (210) + (40) + 95

48 minutes ago, Delay said:

Tried to make a SR-71...

Ended up with a suborbital spaceplane, but it can go into orbit under the right circumstances.

Does that still count?

No. Airliner may not leave atmosphere. Its in the rules.

vvJSSqX.jpg

Supersonic Passenger Jet - Phoenix Aerospace's Nova

Class: Large

Tested Range: Approx. 2300km 

Maximum Speed: Mach ~4.2 or 1250m/s

Cruising Altitude: 17,000m

Passenger Capacity: 36

Cannot Tailstrike - 20 points

Does not need SAS to fly stably - 20 points

Does not need trim - 10 points

Can fly on 25% of engines - 35 points

Has airbrakes - 10 points

Can take off and land immediately - 10 points

Has a way to jettison fuel without speeding up - 10

Total Bonus: 115 Points

Score

1250 + (2300km / 10) + (36 * 5) * 1 + (2 / 2) + 115

1250 + (230) + (180) + 2 + 115

8 hours ago, Delay said:

So, do I have to activate a parachute by hand or assign it to an action group? Or can I use the staging for that?

I put them as the stage right after the engines and before any ejection modules I got on bombers. It can lead to accidental parachute release though, so action grouping might be better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.