Airliner Safety Challenge

Here is my Light passenger jet I'm calling it the Z-16

Score: 1907

Bonus points:

Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff (20 points)
Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff (20 points)
Your plane does not need SAS to fly stably (20 points)
Your plane can fly on 33.3% of it's engines (30 points)  
Your plane can belly land with all crew and passengers surviving (20 points)
Your plane can ditch in the water with all crew surviving (10 points)

Total Bonus: 120

Max speed+(max distance/10)+((Max passengers*5)*1+(number of flight attendants/2))+Bonus points

1276+(3913.202/10)+((16*5)*1+(1/2))+120=1867.82

W7LRIHo.pngkNM5lrq.pngjQKRNXZ.pngoj1vXht.pngLWTkp5P.pngYSTlA3D.pngKgaB4ND.png

Edited by timzim817

3 hours ago, Delay said:

2067944? That doesn't look right. Are you sure that it's in km, not m?

And I forgot about that. Actual score is 2051.7944. THAT makes more sense. I'll edit my submission now.

Edited by SpacePod9

Cool challenge idea.

Alright! Here's my go with a plane called the "Koeing". It's got 64 passenger capacity, so it's heavy class.

I got some inspiration from some old passenger planes with engines on the top, and I decided to make it a little more kerbal.

TWO Engines on the top!

Pictures:

Spoiler

F49bwsm.png

OBnV5xn.png

i05MlGD.png

Scoring:

• Bonus Points:
  • Can't tailstrike +20
  • Stalls at 20m/s (That's some serious power) +60
  • Needs only 4 of it's 6 engines to fly +5
  • Doesn't need SAS to fly stably +20
  • Airbrakes +10
  • Can ditch in water with no damage +20
  • Needs the whole runway -20
  • Main Scoring:
  • Max Distance: (Not enough to even score it. It runs out almost instantly, but i'm proud of it.)
  • Passengers: 64 capacity = 12.8 points? (I think I did the math wrong.)
  • Flight Attendants: 2 = 1 point? (I probably just did the math wrong again.)

135 bonus points + 12.8 + 1 = 148.8

(Welp, I think I did the math wrong.) The base scoring needs a little explaining, as it doesn't make much sense to me with some calculations containing *'s and others with other characters.)

Edited by Dcseal

12 hours ago, Dcseal said:

Cool challenge idea.

Alright! Here's my go with a plane called the "Koeing". It's got 64 passenger capacity, so it's heavy class.

I got some inspiration from some old passenger planes with engines on the top, and I decided to make it a little more kerbal.

TWO Engines on the top!

Pictures:

Reveal hidden contents

F49bwsm.png

OBnV5xn.png

i05MlGD.png

Scoring:

• Bonus Points:
  • Can't tailstrike +20
  • Stalls at 20m/s (That's some serious power) +60
  • Needs only 4 of it's 6 engines to fly +5
  • Doesn't need SAS to fly stably +20
  • Airbrakes +10
  • Can ditch in water with no damage +20
  • Needs the whole runway -20
  • Main Scoring:
  • Max Distance: (Not enough to even score it. It runs out almost instantly, but i'm proud of it.)
  • Passengers: 64 capacity = 12.8 points? (I think I did the math wrong.)
  • Flight Attendants: 2 = 1 point? (I probably just did the math wrong again.)

135 bonus points + 12.8 + 1 = 148.8

(Welp, I think I did the math wrong.) The base scoring needs a little explaining, as it doesn't make much sense to me with some calculations containing *'s and others with other characters.)

the * symbol is how people usually type times.  / is divided, + and - are self explanatory I hope.

Lets say 5km range because from the screenshot you got at least that far.

Max speed+(max distance/10)+((Max passengers*5)*1+(number of flight attendants/2))+Bonus points

so: (Whatever the max speed is, I don't see it in your submission)+(5km/10)+((64*5)*1+(2/2))+135

I'm dubious about the 20m/s stall, as those wings are too small.  Stall is when you plane starts falling out of the air because it's going too slow, and loses controllability.

By the way, you could make this a far better scoring plane by replacing the tail ramp with the slanted mk3-2.5m adapter emptied of oxidizer and the slanted 2.5m-1.25m adapter and a slanted tail cone for more fuel.  And Then take off most of the jets, that size of plane can take off on three wheesleys.  Two goliaths is overkill, and you have six.  you'd be better off using a few RAPIERs or whiplashes, and then you could rake in a ton of speed points.  You could remove all but two of the rear landing gear, but you could have two bogies per side if you aren't as good at landing softly.

My Entry; The mini Concorde

Max range = 51 / 26 (distance Travelled/Units Of LF Used) = 1.96153846154

1.96153846154 * 800 = 1569.23076923

Max Range = About 1569 KM

SCORING

Spoiler

Bonus points:

• Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff - It Can Tailstrike.
  • Your plane stalls at less than 50m/s - I can Stall better than this
  • Your plane stalls at less than 30m/s you expect me to stall that fast???
  • Your plane stalls at less than 25m/s - Thats About It - 30 points
  • Your plane stalls at less than 20m/s - Sadly, To Slow For me
  • Your plane does not need SAS to fly stably - I can do that if i try - 20 points
  • Your plane does not need trim adjustment to fly straight and level.  This only stacks with the non SAS points - You're joking Right? Right?
  • Your plane can fly on 50% of its engines - Yes I can :)  - 20 points
  • Your plane can fly on 66.6% of it's engines - To easy for me
  • Your plane can fly on 33.3% of it's engines - I have an even number of engines m8
  • Your plane can fly on 25% of it's engines - I tried, I crashed into the ocean
  • Your plane can belly land with all crew and passengers surviving - Yes I can, I just have to say bye bye to my tail first - 20 points
  • Your plane can belly land without damage - Your Kidding right?
  • Your plane has airbrakes - Can you count flaps being deployed? No? I guess not then
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with all crew surviving -Quite Easy. But I can do better :D  
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with no damage - I can do this too - 20 points
  • Your plane is a seaplane - No, Thats for my other entry
  • Your plane is an amphibious seaplane - See above
  • Your plane can take off and immediately land back on the runway without turning around, and is heavy size or above - I can carry six Kerbals m8
  • Your plane has a way to jettison fuel without speeding up - you mean drop pods right, But does crashing count as well? No? But It's a way to jettison fuel isn't it? No tank, No fuel, No problem. No? Fine Then.
  • Your plane can fly on any two engines - Easy
  • Simple fuel and air systems: your plane has all fuel tanks and air intakes in the same stack as an engine  - No.

Point malus:

• Your plane can lose controllability due to fuel shift - Surprisingly, No.
  • Your plane needs the end of the runway to take off - Only on he island runway, but thats because the runway is too short. The KSC Should fix that though.
  • Your plane can break up due to aerodynamic forces - My Powerplants are 4 Junos with a maximum speed of 320M/S. NO
  • Your plane can melt itself if left at full throttle - See Above
  • Your pilots do not have a clear view out the aircraft-I.E. windows are covered - I don't have a droop Nose so No.
  • Your plane solely relies on alternators on the main engines for power -Knew I should have added a solar panel - -10 points
  • Your plane contains an RTG or nerv engine (passengers don't want radioactive death leaking) - - Luckily.
  • Your plane needs all of it's engines to fly - I can fly on 2 outta 4 engines.

FINAL SCORE:

300 + ((1569/10) + (6*5)) + 100 = 587 Points. YAY

A VIDEO

THE LAG IS REAL!!!

Edited by HamnavoePer
Adding Score

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.