Rath

totm
Airliner Safety Challenge

128 posts in this topic

I feel that there should be a bonus for being structurally stable in 4x physics warp.

12 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

I don't see a requirement to have actually flown it for the maximum range.  @Rath suggests flying it until it crashes and then using F3 to check, but again, this thing should never crash.  There is no change in performance over time, and I've flown it for ~20 minutes or more wanting to make sure that it was actually capable of sustained flight and didn't wiggle itself apart.  Since the plane can keep flying, it'll only crash when I stop paying attention and it starts to pick up some bank and crashes into the ocean.  That's a test of my own willingness to waste a few days of time when I could be doing something better as opposed to the capabilities of the aircraft.  

You know, there is an autopilot mod called PilotAssistant - you can use that to check, just leave it running for a bit.

15 hours ago, qzgy said:

You know, there is an autopilot mod called PilotAssistant - you can use that to check, just leave it running for a bit.

Again, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be checking.  I've checked the engines, and they can run for several hours at the right RPM under physics warp on the test stand, so it can be assumed that they should never lose thrust.  The plane can sustain flight as long as the engines don't lose thrust or parts fall off.  There is no reason for parts to spontaneously fall off in flight when the plane is flown properly.  Ergo, the plane should keep flying forever when flown properly, and I'm not sure how flying it for 20 minutes is any less comprehensive a test than flying it for 20 days.  What exactly would flying it for a longer time period test?

Edit:  After a bit of math, it'd take me at least 4 days MET if I wanted to comfortably get first place.  I'd rather not.  

Edited by Charlie_Zulu