The Gardening Thread: 2018 season.

UnusualAttitude

On 4/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, UnusualAttitude said:

... my Little Helper, Woppit.

Looks like Woppit is not too happy about your eminent domain over his litter box. lol

@Dman979mentioned mint. Yes, that stuff is like wild strawberries... plant it once and you'll never get rid of it. I have spearmint in my yard, m'lady likes to make tea with it. I also have catmint and catnip in my garden.

9 hours ago, klesh said:

This will be an interesting season, what with the state I live in having legalized certain plants for growing at home.  I foresee a bunch of dead amateur hour gardens come 'round July or so.

are you talking about this ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinol#Chemistry laughing hard insert 442 blablabla super lobbies versus super lobbies ^^ 100 % coton 100 % polyester 100 % grape 100 % cheese 100 % antibiotic 100% fiber 100 % whatever hahahahahahahahahahaha [self censored because] ther's so much hypocrysy worldwide on various layers around that topics ... because of the various lobbies

on a side note speaking of gardening ^^ https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-plant-habitat-will-increase-harvest-on-international-space-station can't wait ^^

that's something i really miss now, having a small garden corner, growing some potatoes, salads, radish, carott, forest strawberries and etc ^^ loved that younger and taking care of them and eating them afterward. Anyway Paris Toulouse not that far if you need a hand ^^ (jk)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

8 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

are you talking about this ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinol#Chemistry laughing hard insert 442 blablabla super lobbies versus super lobbies ^^ 100 % coton 100 % polyester 100 % grape 100 % cheese 100 % antibiotic 100% fiber 100 % whatever hahahahahahahahahahaha [self censored because] ther's so much hypocrysy worldwide on various layers around that topics ... because of the various lobbies

Slow down guys... politics and uhm... illicit medicinal plants... are both hot topics here. If we drag in both this thread is doomed. :wink: Let's stick to potatoes and carrots,  shall we.. 

The results will be interesting, but one of the things I couldn't help but notice is that the new system "requires minimal crew involvement to install the science, add water, and perform other maintenance activities". If I was a space gardener on a deep space mission I would actually look forward to getting my hands dirty, doncha think?

that's something i really miss now, having a small garden corner, growing some potatoes, salads, radish, carott, forest strawberries and etc ^^ loved that younger and taking care of them and eating them afterward. Anyway Paris Toulouse not that far if you need a hand ^^ (jk)

It's one of the main reasons why I moved out of Toulouse city centre and into the suburbs, and eventually I hope to move out into the country proper. Ideally, I'd like a field of wheat at the bottom of my garden so that I can sit and listen to the sound of the wind running through it for hours on end. Hell, I'll plant one myself if I have to... 

Toulouse is just an hour away via EasyJet, or an afternoon on the train. Si tu passes dans le coin, appelle-moi... :)

Edited by UnusualAttitude

22 hours ago, klesh said:

This will be an interesting season, what with the state I live in having legalized certain plants for growing at home.  I foresee a bunch of dead amateur hour gardens come 'round July or so.

The interesting thing about this (here in the USA) is that, while certain states have legalized these certain plants, federal law still forbids them.

Ugh. My son likes to plant marigolds. We have them in planters out front. One is an old, cast iron kettle grill (previous owner left it with the house) that is well off the ground on legs. The marigolds are cut off at the ground... Deer?

On 24.3.2017 at 10:13 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

If I smell rotten lemons again, I might go berserk.

If i say it somebody the most people look at me like i am a loonatic.

We salt thw fruits like lemons water- or honeymelons. A big barrel layed out with Melons and lemons salt and water.

They become squishy with time but if you will some fruits in winter and it is to hot that is the way.

As kids we used to make sweets of thus to. Fruitflesh of of watermelon, lemon and grapes+sugar in a bottle a stick and squish all together till it is something like jam. Bring on a plate an dry in the sun. Wrap a roll of the dried jam and enjoy your selfmade sweet:D

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

3 hours ago, tater said:

Missed a few posts since this thing got pinned---I actually find pinning threads makes me read them less, because it removes valuable information (position showing recent posts).

I know. Maybe I should subscribe, but subscribing to one's own thread seems.... pretentious.

But don't worry too much, a gardening thread on a spaceflight gamer's forum is like... dancing to architecture.

24 minutes ago, tater said:

Ugh. My son likes to plant marigolds. We have them in planters out front. One is an old, cast iron kettle grill (previous owner left it with the house) that is well off the ground on legs. The marigolds are cut off at the ground... Deer?

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Could be deer. My father (who lives in the countryside proper) had to set up an electric fence to protect his garden from the wild boar.

Uhm... or maybe random spiteful neighbours....?

35 minutes ago, tater said:

Many people plant marigolds in their vegetable gardens; The smell of the flowers is supposed to mask the smell of vegetables, keeping pests away. Basil is supposed to help ward off pests also.

As for your marigolds disappearing, it could be rabbits as well as deer. Hasenpfeffer!

The low pots and rabbits are certainly possible, we have tons of rabbits, plus desert wood rats (pack rats), squirrels, chipmunks, and deer. That old bbq is well off he ground. A squirrel could jump, I suppose.

On 08/04/2017 at 10:21 PM, UnusualAttitude said:

dancing to architecture.

:3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 :3 nice image ^^ the shape of things over time ^^ sometime so far and still so close in a way ^^

btw i dunno if plant are blind or can't ear ,) but they may be sensible to vibration like a stomach or whatever ^^ at a certain scale it's a bit unclear  still ^^

my poptatoes like vivaldi, while my radish tend to prefer heavy metals ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On 4/18/2017 at 2:17 AM, tater said:

Saw 7 deer in the yard yesterday. Probably what ate the marigolds.

Wow, seven. I don't think I've ever seen that many deer before in one place.

On my side, progress in the potato and onion bed is good. (I planted them one month ago today).

6W1CDPJ.jpg

Also, we have sweetcorn.

58g9Nx1.jpg

"With a melon!?"

E5RFJ6h.jpg

Things aren't going so well in the greenhouse, however. So far, my tomato plants look a bit thin and weedy, considering I planted them indoors back in February...

IqQNRiC.jpg

Courgette's are growing just fine, though.... (sigh).

bozaiG3.jpg

Edited by UnusualAttitude

@Just Jim, those are awesome. My wife I think has phalaenopsis orchids (mostly). I tend to buy them for her at the grocery store, lol, and she grows them in this sort of anteroom we have at the front door (we call it the "airlock," actually). It gets good, indirect (and/or strongly filtered) light, and the orchids seem to love it in there. Outside would be impossible here, I think, it's way too dry in New Mexico.

She has repotted them a few times, but it is almost always if not a failure, not the best experience. They seem to be happier in the root bound containers, and when repotted (following what she's read about how to do it, including orchid pots, etc) she always has casualties, and they seem unhappy for a long time, even if they manage to live. If we leave them in the pots they came in, they stay very happy looking, and reflower for her.

Is there a trick to repotting them?

Cannot do much as I am still living in an apartment. Right now, everything has to be in flower pots or planters. But this is what I have this year:

9D0TVXb.jpg

Geraniums I was able to keep alive over the winter, some shamrocks (that I've had since 1999, the last plant my grandmother gave me before she passed away), and on the table, some begonias that also survived the winter.

4tT36gl.jpg

The view from the chair you saw in the other picture. My pink lady climbing rose bush, some tropical houseplant, and a Schefflera.

In the front, I have miniature lilac bushes, a pot of hanging petunias, and a lime tree. In the black pot are Moss Rose seeds, yet to sprout.

VGg1Wjb.jpg

59 minutes ago, tater said:

Is there a trick to repotting them?

The only rule I follow is treat them like an air plant, not a terrestrial plant. Mine are all in hanging baskets outside, but under an overhang and a large tree, so they get really bright indirect light... but nothing direct, or they'd fry. 

Oh, and all but 2 of mine are Phals... I also have a big Vanda and a newer Coconut orchid. Not sure what that one's flowers will look like, but so far it seems to be doing OK.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Cannot do much as I am still living in an apartment.

...with a pretty nice view from what I assume is your back door. Spot of fishing?

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

My orchids, however, seem to be loving it!

Beautiful! You guys are starting to change my mind about only growing things that are edible... :D

edible by who by what when ^^ and orchid a yup thoose are %% root water and nutrient and temperature very sensitive true true ^^ i need a garden crieeeeesss thks for the photos ^^ banzai are kinda like orchid with even more inertia if you do something wrong and much longer life span

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Had some pics clouded that I could get at:

Orchids (my wife's)

kT9R5hw.jpg

MLO4GU1.jpg

Another cool one is a plumeria we got as a stick in Hawaii, and I actually got it to flower:

VQuGL5U.jpg

Honestly, most of my yard is native plants (that's what I call cactus and weeds :wink: ) that survive because I don't intentionally kill them:

8xaSEEP.jpg

mRi8C1D.jpg

^^^this pic I took just a couple days ago, actually. All the other images here are old ones.

Edited by tater

3 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

...with a pretty nice view from what I assume is your back door. Spot of fishing?

Beautiful! You guys are starting to change my mind about only growing things that are edible... :D

For the most part mine is a butterfly/hummingbird garden, not an edible plant garden. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.