kunok

Bad translations

18 posts in this topic

Where should I post bad translations?, because... lots of the Spanish translations seems like google translate for me, too literal or just weird nonsense (I'm from Spain). Being a Mexican based company I was expecting that you would really have no problems with the Spanish versions, only the typical typos :P I'm not a grammar guy, but there are things that won't make sense to a person from Spain

Try making a list:

- Where each thing you consider mistranslated can be found
- What it says in the game
- What you think it should say instead

Once you have a good number of them, toss them on the bugtracker.

Posted (edited)

I will try but there is lots of general mistakes to post in the bugtracker, that comes from using english rules instead of the Spanish ones, like capitalizing every word in a title, in Spanish is only the first word is capitalized. Or translating R&D to I&D instead of I+D. I know that this kind of "translations" are pretty common in lationamerica, but feels that I'm reading Spanglish instead of Spanish.

There are other that are just plain weird, "fin" translated as "plano de deriva" instead of "aleta" or "alerón"

Is out there a reference document or something?

I helped before in software translations, I could volunteer (I know there was a calling a couple of weeks ago, but I was pretty busy) @Badie ?

Edited by kunok
1 person likes this

Considering Squad's nationality I wasn't expecting the Spanish translation to have problems. I'd be happy to help polish it too. kunok's proposed translations are spot on, by the way.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Meithan said:

Considering Squad's nationality I wasn't expecting the Spanish translation to have problems. I'd be happy to help polish it too. kunok's proposed translations are spot on, by the way.

There are different flavours of Spanish.

21 hours ago, kunok said:

I will try but there is lots of general mistakes to post in the bugtracker, that comes from using english rules instead of the Spanish ones, like capitalizing every word in a title, in Spanish is only the first word is capitalized. Or translating R&D to I&D instead of I+D. I know that this kind of "translations" are pretty common in lationamerica, but feels that I'm reading Spanglish instead of Spanish.

There are other that are just plain weird, "fin" translated as "plano de deriva" instead of "aleta" or "alerón"

I helped before in software translations, I could volunteer (I know there was a calling a couple of weeks ago, but I was pretty busy) @Badie ?

You can raise your feedback about translations on the bug tracker.

14 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Exactly! I doubt there are any glaring errors for Mexican-Spanish speakers. In similar fashion, there are spelling errors in the English version of the game when looked at from a UK-English perspective as it's using US-English.

I don't know Spanish but I have coworkers who do, and when we are writing brochures for the latin-American market we always have them proof-read by as many foreign offices as possible, because what are innocent Spanish words in one country can be vulgar slang in the next.

Unless Squad releases different localizations of the Spanish edition that is not going to be fixed. I doubt it's  because Squad is sloppy, it's just that Spanish has evolved differently in different countries over the years.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Exactly! I doubt there are any glaring errors for Mexican-Spanish speakers. In similar fashion, there are spelling errors in the English version of the game when looked at from a UK-English perspective as it's using US-English.

I don't know Spanish but I have coworkers who do, and when we are writing brochures for the latin-American market we always have them proof-read by as many foreign offices as possible, because what are innocent Spanish words in one country can be vulgar slang in the next.

Unless Squad releases different localizations of the Spanish edition that is not going to be fixed. I doubt it's  because Squad is sloppy, it's just that Spanish has evolved differently in different countries over the years.

No, I'm not talking about local rules, I'm talking about international Spanish rules, (I don't try to be offensive) every mistake I pointed is in any basic translations stile guide.

This guides usually tell you how to write in neutral Spanish, to not copy the structure in english and to not use english expressions.

A very short but good one, the ubuntu guide https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuSpanishTranslators/Estilo every mistake that I pointed is here

Another a lot larger but also better, the one from Microsoft http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/0/c80371fa-bc89-46a7-883d-071d59f0c24c/spa-esp-StyleGuide.pdf

Also there are lots of things that are just inconsistencies sometimes a part "inline" is translated as " en tandem" (wut?) other times "en linea"

12 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

You can raise your feedback about translations on the bug tracker.

Ok, I will try to make a general bug report, suggesting user guides and putting some examples, maybe I get it done tomorrow, but it would be easier if you allowed me to make suggestions in a translation tools like https://crowdin.com/ or whatever you use, it's a problem if I need to open ksp two times one in english another in Spanish because I don't have idea what was supposed to be that word that doesn't make sense. Because is almost everywhere, seriously lots of translations looks like google translate, and you will get bad reviews for the translation...

There are also pretty good translations, is not like everything is wrong, that just make it weirder because it feels very incoherent

PD: Can I post directly in Spanish in the bug tracker? I will explain myself a lot better :P

Edited by kunok
2 people like this

12 hours ago, kunok said:

en tandem

Tandem is one behind the other, like a plane with tandem seats, or a tandem bike. The word comes from latin, and it is used as avation tarm here in Brazil, so it's probably used in Spanish. I can (maybe) see why they used tandem and 'en linea' even though I would probably stick to tandem only.

1 hour ago, VaPaL said:

Tandem is one behind the other, like a plane with tandem seats, or a tandem bike. The word comes from latin, and it is used as avation tarm here in Brazil, so it's probably used in Spanish. I can (maybe) see why they used tandem and 'en linea' even though I would probably stick to tandem only.

I know what tandem is, is just that some of the uses are weird. Tandem may have sense in the case of a seat, even if it's there only one cabin is weird as tandem implies more than one, but it has no sense in something like the inline clamp-o-tron. And for the Spanish layman tandem is only a bike with two seats.

Other thing you putted the translation as es-es :D with means that is the variation from Spain, not the international one neither the mexican one. :P

Something I've been wondering in the Spanish translation is why it was decided to translate periapsis and apoapsis as périapside and apoapside, as far as I know those are the french versions, in Spanish we use Periapsis and Apoapsis as well.

2 hours ago, VaPaL said:

The term used in Spanish is motor en línea https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_en_línea

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, Noobton said:

Something I've been wondering in the Spanish translation is why it was decided to translate periapsis and apoapsis as périapside and apoapside, as far as I know those are the french versions, in Spanish we use Periapsis and Apoapsis as well.

[Forum keeps destroying this URL, so you'll just have to type it in by hand. Go to google, search for "ápside definición"]

Start going down the list of different dictionaries and tell them all how wrong they are...

Edited by swjr-swis
Forum software keeps creating an invalid URL

Gah even wikipedia uses both periapside and periapsis, https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periastro. nvm then.

This is the main reason I always use the original English language version instead of translations, they usually sound too weird to me.

15 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

[Forum keeps destroying this URL, so you'll just have to type it in by hand. Go to google, search for "ápside definición"]

Start going down the list of different dictionaries and tell them all how wrong they are...

After doing a little bit more of research I see they are both used (even in English), I still think the translation should keep the apsis versions.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:23 AM, JPLRepo said:

This brings up a question for me: Regional variances on language. For instance, Quebecois versus native French. Microsoft Windows has variances on localization such as en-us and en-uk for differences in English.

How hard would it be to take an existing localization, for instance en-us, and make an en-uk variant? Or fr and fr-qc when the time comes? And maybe there's a need for es and es-mx in this case. I'd like to try my hand at making an add-on for en-uk or en-ca.

On 19/3/2017 at 7:25 AM, kunok said:

Hi kunok, 

Thanks for your comments I´ll share your information with the localization team and let them know you can help us with that! Thank you ! 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Noobton said:

this bug is still on more info needed even after uploading screenshots more than a week ago (for 1738)

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/14348

doesn't really motivate me to keep testing.

Yeah the little and too generic answer here also doesn't motivate.

I will help you, it has been a busy week with too much work, and a 3d printer burning it's own diodes