kunok

Bad translations

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

it's fun because i prefer google french (wich is especially flavored) than the one i ve been taught and used too for years ... while most others french disagree with me on that ^^ grammar is interesting to build neuro between 0 & 25 olds or so it depend if just one or many

of course old habits  binded in our neuro scheme since we're kiddy and we don't really know in the details where they come from at first how they evovled over century when it's not thousand years, in correlation to the others languages next and some specific crytpanalisys and sharing need to the one we've been forced in by birth 

i grant you that ; )
it's a bit complicated, or could be, or may be, more than what it may appear

but i won't grant you anithing else ^^ think about it or don't ; ) weirdness are fun (and do not a l l necessarly require adjustements) ^^ they just happen faster thks to internet, add spam everywhere, disminushing return and all and etc. ^^ if you fail considering that aspect from a neuro science aspect ^^ how to say your missing something about langages ^^

as many know , some word games in some country are considered stupid in some others ... so what it's about my country is better to play with word than others ; ) adding wordss game scheme from others country to your own grammar gonna arms ? rlly ... i don't think so

of course you do need to study each specific country and langages specific kind of word games ... and i pzersonnaly won't give you more clue about that than i just did ^^ explore and have fun ^^

i will only say that time will tell by itself for the days to come how world linguistic gonna go ^^ ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
fixed ^^

Is this thread a good place to also mention typos and grammar errors, or should I make a new thread?

For example, in the Cheats menu it says "Infinite Propellent" where it should say "Propellant" with an A.

3 hours ago, problemecium said:

Is this thread a good place to also mention typos and grammar errors, or should I make a new thread?

Neither: you should create a report on the prerelease tracker. That is, if you wish it to be seen by those who can correct them.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, problemecium said:

I confirmed it for you and added a screenshot.

Btw, you ended up posting the issue on the regular tracker, instead of the pre-release one I linked you; they are not the same. Nothing lost, but as I understand it they prefer the reports in the pre-release tracker in this phase.

I caught that mistake myself a few seconds after posting, but alas, I can't manage to find any way to delete reports :\

It is true that this bug is present in 1.2.2 at least ^^;

On 3/20/2017 at 5:23 AM, JPLRepo said:

There are different flavours of Spanish.

That's true. I guess I was talking from the perspective of Mexican Spanish, as I'm Mexican. I've worked in international translation teams (for NASA, actually), and what "flavour" to use was always a topic of debate. Usually, we settled for the most "international" form a given term.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:49 AM, Noobton said:

Gah even wikipedia uses both periapside and periapsis, https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periastro. nvm then.

This is the main reason I always use the original English language version instead of translations, they usually sound too weird to me.

I also happen to be a Mexican astrophysicist, and we usually say "apoastro" and "periastro" in astronomical contexts, at least in Mexico (but "periapsis" and "apoapsis" are also valid, and I'd say they're more appropriate in the spaceflight context). Don't know about other countries.

But anyway, let's raise any concerns in the tracker, as suggested.

2 people like this

hi @Meithan is nice to get the opinion from someone that really knows what he's talking about, do you know how often is periápside and apoápside used?

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Noobton said:

hi @Meithan is nice to get the opinion from someone that really knows what he's talking about, do you know how often is periápside and apoápside used?

I've never heard those versions in Mexican Spanish. Sounds like Spaniard Spanish.

Edited by Meithan
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Then again, I confess that most of the technical terms we use are just our own personal adaptations of the English versions. Most scientific research (including our own) is done in English. The only official dictionary for Spanish, that of the Real Academia Española, doesn't list either of these terms ("periapsis", "periastro", "periápside"); I guess they're just too technical. "Ápside" does appear, though.

However, I just found an official Mexican government document from 1995 specifying terms for spatial communications, and to my surprise the officially recommended terms are indeed "periápside" and "apoápside". "Periastro" and "apoapstro" are also there, but those are usually reserved for the orbits around stars (which is why they're the more common forms in astronomy), so wouldn't be the correct words for orbits around planets or moons.

Edited by Meithan
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

DELETED

Edited by atomontage
guess it was photoshoped though.