Core things needed for KSP to be "finished"?

They need to make swing wings actually reduce drag, it killed me when I spent ages on my F-14 only to find out swinging the wings back SLOWED ME DOWN. because it pushed the COL back further causing the tail to pitch up, creating more drag....

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 1:02 PM, tater said:

It would be nice if SoI change reliably dropped time warp.

What for? As of 1.2, dropping time warp is no longer necessary (there's actually an option somewhere (dunno about the menus, but it's ORBIT_WARP_DOWN_AT_SOI in settings.cfg)) so long as you have patched conics. And if you don't have patched conics, then there's no way of knowing there will be an SoI change (inbound) until it happens (of course outbound is easy to detect).

19 minutes ago, taniwha said:

What for? As of 1.2, dropping time warp is no longer necessary (there's actually an option somewhere (dunno about the menus, but it's ORBIT_WARP_DOWN_AT_SOI in settings.cfg)) so long as you have patched conics. And if you don't have patched conics, then there's no way of knowing there will be an SoI change (inbound) until it happens (of course outbound is easy to detect).

Dropping time warp is not necessary? So I plan on doing an orbital insertion after getting into the new SoI, and I have the warp set high, and I blow past periapsis because I'm slow to stomp down the time warp...

It's also supposed to drop below certain attitudes. When I'm in LKO, and I really want much faster warp I have to go to the tracking station, but sometimes after coming to a new SoI, it never drops warp at all.

Edited by tater

@tater That sounds like you may have somehow turned off the warp-down. As for blowing past periapsis at high warp, that's not surprising, really, when it takes mere minutes to go from fairly high altitude down to periapsis and back, and minutes at 10kx to 100kx is less than one frame. This has happened to me many a time, but not once did I blame anything other than my own carelessness, but I've dealt with this sort of thing for over 30 years in my own programming*.

As for no longer necessary: I was talking about the changes in post-crossing trajectory due to crossing the boundary at high warp.

While I agree (quite noisily at times) that this should be stock, if you're not adverse to mods, Kerbal Alarm Clock does a very good job of handing both (sometimes too good: it dewarps completely when I don't want it to, but again, PEBCAK).

Oh, and your "what for" is a good reason, really.

* While I have some ideas on how to fix blowing past periapsis at extreme warp, I'm not certain they'd not be without their own problems for "tight" ("period" close to warp rate) orbits. One idea includes disallowing warp rates that cause an orbital period (or hyperbolic flyby time) to be less than a few seconds real-time, but what about when those high rates are wanted anyway?

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Life support. A space game that purports to be realistic in any way needs to represent the core challenge of crewed spaceflight.

Yea, I think they will most likley add a simplified version for people who play career mostly on very hard mode.

On 20/03/2017 at 0:53 AM, Foxster said:

What do you think are the core outstanding features still waiting to be sorted out before you'd consider KSP "finished" and ready for expansions to be added?

#1: Game engine that scales reasonably well (preferably with GPU physics acceleration) and doesn't freeze periodically, use ridiculous amounts of memory or crash my desktop.

#2: Other minor details, like life support, ΔV & TWR display in SPH/VAB, and a career mode that doesn't suck. Strategia, Contract Configurator, KER and USI-LS or Kerbalism in the stock game. Something like KAC (or decent maneuver planning in the tracking station) would be nice too.

#3: With #1 sorted out, we could have other nice things, like stock clouds and terrain textures that aren't boring and oh-so-obviously tiled. Something like idtech's megatexture rendering / texture streaming would be nice, and would avoid loading everything into memory at startup. 

Then again, real game-engines cost real money, so we'll probably be stuck with this Unity turd forever, and SQUAD will never be able to implement these nice things without murdering performance. Additional features have had this effect already.

Edited by steve_v
formatting

I think that there should be a 'different' career mode, called campaign mode. Career mode wouldn't have to change.

In campaign mode, there would be cutscenes and a rudimentary form of LS. Maybe there wouldn't be a way to change difficulty. As you progress in the game, it would go through different 'decades' or 'eras'. Perhaps it would start in an ancient civilisation where kerbals discover the planets and moons of the Kerbol system, ending in the discovery of the Mun. From there, it would go to a shabbier form of the low-tech buildings that start off regular career mode.

Wernher Von Kerman and his team of castaway scientists start off this new 'space program' under the promise of shaking King Jool's hand. Bob being one of the scientists calls his brother, Jebediah, from a local junkyard. Bill is employed from a local car shop. Valentina becomes an available pilot after achieving first orbit.As the 'decades' progress, it would mean different kerbals that act as the administrators.Hopefully more room to show off female kerbals in-game besides being shot off into space.

There would be incentive to actually go places besides sticking a flag in the ground and jumping around.

This idea of a campaign mode would help answer several questions about kerbal myth and society. 

On April 1, 2017 at 11:31 PM, steve_v said:

#1: Game engine that scales reasonably well (preferably with GPU physics acceleration) and doesn't freeze periodically, use ridiculous amounts of memory or crash my desktop.

#2: Other minor details, like life support, ΔV & TWR display in SPH/VAB, and a career mode that doesn't suck. Strategia, Contract Configurator, KER and USI-LS or Kerbalism in the stock game. Something like KAC (or decent maneuver planning in the tracking station) would be nice too.

#3: With #1 sorted out, we could have other nice things, like stock clouds and terrain textures that aren't boring and oh-so-obviously tiled. Something like idtech's megatexture rendering / texture streaming would be nice, and would avoid loading everything into memory at startup. 

Then again, real game-engines cost real money, so we'll probably be stuck with this Unity turd forever, and SQUAD will never be able to implement these nice things without murdering performance. Additional features have had this effect already.

I wouldn't say that career mode sucks, there is waaaay too many "fly this random person to here" and "build a base for a company" when does nasa ever do that?

17 hours ago, Atubara said:

I think that there should be a 'different' career mode, called campaign mode. Career mode wouldn't have to change.

In campaign mode, there would be cutscenes and a rudimentary form of LS. Maybe there wouldn't be a way to change difficulty. As you progress in the game, it would go through different 'decades' or 'eras'. Perhaps it would start in an ancient civilisation where kerbals discover the planets and moons of the Kerbol system, ending in the discovery of the Mun. From there, it would go to a shabbier form of the low-tech buildings that start off regular career mode.

Wernher Von Kerman and his team of castaway scientists start off this new 'space program' under the promise of shaking King Jool's hand. Bob being one of the scientists calls his brother, Jebediah, from a local junkyard. Bill is employed from a local car shop. Valentina becomes an available pilot after achieving first orbit.As the 'decades' progress, it would mean different kerbals that act as the administrators.Hopefully more room to show off female kerbals in-game besides being shot off into space.

There would be incentive to actually go places besides sticking a flag in the ground and jumping around.

This idea of a campaign mode would help answer several questions about kerbal myth and society. 

That would require soooooooooooooooooooo much coding

Like so many others, I'm still holding out for a good career mode overhaul. Not holding my breath for a fully stock solution, but hopefully the new tools with the expansion will include letting modders play with some lower-level game mechanics.

A million ways one can play, and therefore a million opinions on where the priorities should be.

Just a DeltaV/TWR readout for me,not to mention for the Console players that can't mod the game wth KER or MJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.