Mk. 3 SSTO with Large Fuel Margin Wanted

7 minutes ago, fourfa said:

"Mk3 SSTO" "large fuel margin" and "light" don't seem compatible to me, but maybe these fit the bill:

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/ORCA-v2

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/ORCA-v2-Heavy

If you need more fuel left over in orbit, just replace some of the payload space with fuel tanks

thanks giving them a try now

On 3/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, eagle92lightning said:

I am build a large space station with mostly 2.5m parts and I need a SSTO to carry this parts to orbit and dock them in to postition. Please if an SSTO that meets the criteria in the title please provide a Kerbalx link below

RmHJDAk.jpg

gkskMv8.jpg

Designed to lift 40t to a 150km orbit without using any of the payload fuel.

or https://kerbalx.com/Wanderfound/Kerbotruck-Compact-Lander for the same ship with a different cargo:

GJCgDmP.png

Edited by Wanderfound

13 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

I can get this one to orbit! Awsome!

To get the most out of it:

1) Begin with a 10° climb until 10,000m.

2) Drop the nose to the horizon (0°) and crank the speed up to 1,500m/s.

3) Lift the nose to 15°. Keep the jets airbreathing until switching mode at 29,000m.

4) Keep the nose at 15° until the apoapsis reaches 55,000m, then drop it to surface prograde and keep it there until you reach space.

5) For reentry, set the periapsis to 0m right on top of KSC.

6) Keep the nose about 5° above the horizon until you're in sight of the KSC mountains (you can slow down much more quickly if you instead reenter at 30°, but it's a bit trickier to judge the trajectory to arrive at KSC in an unpowered glide if you do that).

7) Come over the mountains at as close as you can to 10,000m, then descend immediately afterwards, aiming to get down to about 150m comfortably before the runway.

8) When empty, the ship can comfortably maintain level flight down to about 70m/s.

9) Aim to land at 70m/s with a very small amount of engine power applied to maintain that speed. Use the spoilers (linked to the brakes) to control your descent rate.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:20 AM, Wanderfound said:

To get the most out of it:

1) Begin with a 10° climb until 10,000m.

2) Drop the nose to the horizon (0°) and crank the speed up to 1,500m/s.

3) Lift the nose to 15°. Keep the jets airbreathing until switching mode at 29,000m.

4) Keep the nose at 15° until the apoapsis reaches 55,000m, then drop it to surface prograde and keep it there until you reach space.

5) For reentry, set the periapsis to 0m right on top of KSC.

6) Keep the nose about 5° above the horizon until you're in sight of the KSC mountains (you can slow down much more quickly if you instead reenter at 30°, but it's a bit trickier to judge the trajectory to arrive at KSC in an unpowered glide if you do that).

7) Come over the mountains at as close as you can to 10,000m, then descend immediately afterwards, aiming to get down to about 150m comfortably before the runway.

8) When empty, the ship can comfortably maintain level flight down to about 70m/s.

9) Aim to land at 70m/s with a very small amount of engine power applied to maintain that speed. Use the spoilers (linked to the brakes) to control your descent rate.

i prefer 70+ kilometer orbits to much heat other wise

4 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

i prefer 70+ kilometer orbits to much heat other wise

I'm describing how to reach an orbit of whatever altitude you want.

Pull the nose down once the apoapsis reaches 55km, but keep the engines burning until you've got the apoapsis where you want it. It's about minimising drag and maximising gravity lift.

Edited by Wanderfound

14 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

I'm describing how to reach an orbit of whatever altitude you want.

Pull the nose down once the apoapsis reaches 55km, but keep the engines burning until you've got the apoapsis where you want it. It's about minimising drag and maximising gravity lift.

okay thanks and is there any way to put seperate oms engines so i can keep the oxidizer and liquid fuel for the deorbit burn

11 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

okay thanks and is there any way to put seperate oms engines so i can keep the oxidizer and liquid fuel for the deorbit burn

You could stick a few of the Puff monoprop engines around the tail if you wanted, but as those monoprop engines have a worse ISP than the RAPIERs, you'd be better off just using that mass for a bit of extra LFO tankage instead.

If you want a bit more range from it, it's fairly simple to increase the LFO tankage substantially:

QFAWrfl.jpg

Note the extra LFO tank just in front of the tail.

You just need to tweak the wing/gear/RCS positions slightly to account for the altered centre of mass.

Edited by Wanderfound

11 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

You could stick a few of the Puff monoprop engines around the tail if you wanted, but as those monoprop engines have a worse ISP than the RAPIERs, you'd be better off just using that mass for a bit of extra LFO tankage instead.

If you want a bit more range from it, it's fairly simple to increase the LFO tankage substantially:

QFAWrfl.jpg

Note the extra LFO tank just in front of the tail.

You just need to tweak the wing/gear/RCS positions slightly to account for the altered centre of mass.

okay thanks

or could just use infinite prop LOL

Edited by eagle92lightning
realized something

If you just want to lift 2.5m parts I have the affordable and easy to fly Skyliner Mk 2

qvopoLB.png

KerbalX link

Or if you need to get something bigger and heavier into orbit that won't fit in a cargo bay, and you still like to use SSTOs then I have the formidable Pteradactyl Mk 2 which can take 100t of anything that fits in the fairing and still provides ground clearance for the wheels.

OYfupY7.png

KerbalX link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.