Iamsodarncool

An undocumented feature of 1.2.9: ElectricCharge has been renamed to EC in the game

9 posts in this topic

Personally I disagree with this change, it feels like an acronym for acronyms' sake. As Elon Musk said, "The key test for an acronym is to ask whether it helps or hurts communication". This one definitely hurts it. Especially for new players, it's just unnecessarily confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All resources show abbreviated in some places, not just EC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

All resources show abbreviated in some places, not just EC.

I went through the "sort by resource" tab in the advanced section of the editor, and chose a bunch of parts for each resource. The only one I see abbreviated is ElectricCharge to EC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resources will display their abbreviation if they do not fit into the UI, whether that is PAW, staging or the resources app. This was done as some of the resource names are quite long depending on the language selected. Next PreRelease build will include tooltips where the resource name has been abbreviated.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Next PreRelease build will include tooltips where the resource name has been abbreviated.

Thanks for the explanation.

Btw, I assume you mean the opposite: that the resource name in the tooltip is not abbreviated? Otherwise there'd be little point to the tooltip. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Thanks for the explanation.

Btw, I assume you mean the opposite: that the resource name in the tooltip is not abbreviated? Otherwise there'd be little point to the tooltip. :wink:

Yes. the tooltip shows the full resource name where the resource abbreviation is showing in the PAW and Resources app (still todo the staging one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20-3-2017 at 5:37 AM, JPLRepo said:

Resources will display their abbreviation if they do not fit into the UI, whether that is PAW, staging or the resources app. This was done as some of the resource names are quite long depending on the language selected. Next PreRelease build will include tooltips where the resource name has been abbreviated.

And I assume this is easy to add when creating custom resources, right? I like this feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azimech said:

And I assume this is easy to add when creating custom resources, right? I like this feature.

Yes
All you do is define your resource as per the new standard.
 

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = LiquidFuel
  displayName = #autoLOC_500999
  abbreviation = #autoLOC_6002095 
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.8
  hsp = 2010
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

name is the internal name for the resource.
displayName is the Localized tag for the resource (full name)
abbreviation is the Localized tag for the abbreviation
More details will be presented shortly in the prerelease modding sub-forum on how to do the localized tags.
That's it.

<EDIT> Forgot to mention you don't 'HAVE' to localize it... so you can just put strings in any language in displayName and abbreviation.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Yes
All you do is define your resource as per the new standard.
 


RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = LiquidFuel
  displayName = #autoLOC_500999
  abbreviation = #autoLOC_6002095 
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.8
  hsp = 2010
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

name is the internal name for the resource.
displayName is the Localized tag for the resource (full name)
abbreviation is the Localized tag for the abbreviation
More details will be presented shortly in the prerelease modding sub-forum on how to do the localized tags.
That's it.

<EDIT> Forgot to mention you don't 'HAVE' to localize it... so you can just put strings in any language in displayName and abbreviation.

Muchas gracias :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now