JacktoseIntolerant

Erroneous error message when trying to scan the sun

Question

KSP Version: 1.2.2.1622 (WindowsPlayer x64)

What Happens: Attempting to perform an orbital survey of the sun gives a weird error message.

Mods / Add-Ons: Tested with no mods.

Steps to Replicate: Place a craft with an M700 Survey Scanner into any orbit of the sun (including a polar orbit). Right-click the scanner and click Perform orbital survey.

Result: The following message is displayed:

You must be in a stable polar orbit between 26160km and 1500km to perform an orbital survey.

Note that the larger number is first, but neither one makes sense for an orbit of the sun.
Regardless, that message shouldn't appear. Perhaps it should just repeat the “Survey Scanner disabled ...” message? Or the button should be disabled?

Fixes/Workarounds: None/ignore it.

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files: Here's what you see if you deploy the scanner and then attempt a survey. Note the conflicting messages. My orbital parameters are visible in the debug window.

9562E9018483144330C035AAD4D2794D0B27CB54

Vaguely related note: If you can't scan the sun because it has no surface, how can you scan Jool?

3 answers to this question

very good question.

"Errenous Error Message"

And, we have a new acronym!

On a serious note, have you tested what happens if you go down that low? (Provided you don't burn up, which you probably will)

53 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

On a serious note, have you tested what happens if you go down that low? (Provided you don't burn up, which you probably will)

I have not, because that would take some actual piloting effort, and I was just cheating. I'll see.

1 person likes this