Idea for a hardcore camera mod

sila0164

Hello

I've been playing for quite some time now, and find myself wanting more of a challenge. So I thought of something I was not able to find any mod that does.

The idea is basically a hardcore camera mod, where the player would not be able to use the 3rd person camera the game mainly uses. Even when firing probes that does not come with IVA view. One would have to place cameras (or simply launch it relying on information from HUD) like in real life. 

I know there are mods that comes close to this. Where this would differ from others, is that you "stage" the cameras. Ie: 1st stage has burnt out and you stage to your 2nd, the camera would "automatically" switch to the camera you placed to check that sepration and ignition went to plan. At launch you would be looking through a fixed camera at the launchpad that would focus on the rocket until it reaches XXX height. Then it would automatically switch to the camera activated in the 1st stage (if any).

I have no idea how modding works, if this is even possible or whether or not I would be able to do this. But I have done a bit of modding in other games and have allways wanted to learn a bit of programming.

But first, I want to pitch the idea to the community, asking a few questions:

Is there a mod that does this already? (I dont think there is, but correct me if i'm wrong)

Do you think its a good idea?

Is this something you would use?

If you have any suggestions expanding on the concept, they're welcome.

Have a nice day! :)

Well, in real life, most everything is done by an autopilot of sorts. The astronauts, while smart and capable, only really take control in emergency type situations. So if you want it to be realistic, just use Mechjeb for ascent/reentry and maneuvering. 

Now, you could create a challenge for others and only allow IVA during the mission. 

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Well, in real life, most everything is done by an autopilot of sorts. The astronauts, while smart and capable, only really take control in emergency type situations. So if you want it to be realistic, just use Mechjeb for ascent/reentry and maneuvering. 

Now, you could create a challenge for others and only allow IVA during the mission. 

I guess it would be more of a visual/hardness thing, rather than a realistic thing. But I think it would make the game harder, as I find myself very reliying on the 3rd person camera, which you would not have IRL. But that might just be me.

IVA is only available during manned missions. This is mostly meant as an idea for probes/satelites.

There is a mod called "Quick View" by @Malah that can be set to disable outside-the-craft view, but only for craft that have IVA. Another mod called "Probe Control Room" created a sort of IVA for probes, and when used together they did exactly what I believe you want... except that Probe Control Room hasn't worked for a while :( 

And if you're using Quick View, do use Raster Prop Monitor together with it :D

Oh, addendum: You need RPM for the cameras, quick view only disables the external cam. The cameras are parts you place on the ship, they don't switch automatically but you can set different IDs and cycle them on the monitor. Probe Control Room also used RPM to make its interface with the probe.

Thanks for the comments :) I'll probably just live with the jsi camera for now.... Tried shortly to see if I could make it "stageable" but it just made the engine activation sound :D 

I'm guessing its a bit deeper in the code than just the parts.cfg....

You don't need a camera mod. What you need is the navball alignment indicator mod, and then just fly primarily in map mode, occasionally switching to the regular view for things like selecting docking ports and such, but not for flying.

20 hours ago, Kerbart said:

You don't need a camera mod. What you need is the navball alignment indicator mod, and then just fly primarily in map mode, occasionally switching to the regular view for things like selecting docking ports and such, but not for flying.

This...

Or HullcamVDS which I believe in the config settings for it will allow you to not switch to the 3rd person view.  You can have as many cameras as you want and even use the right click menu if you can see a part.  

Peace. 

14 hours ago, theJesuit said:

This...

Or HullcamVDS which I believe in the config settings for it will allow you to not switch to the 3rd person view.  You can have as many cameras as you want and even use the right click menu if you can see a part.  

Peace. 

That's just what I wanted! Thank you :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.