Steam Forum Question

esinohio

If this has been asked or discussed before please forgive me for my lack of some search skills.  

Currently one of the bigger issues I see over in the Steam forums are new users to KSP asking the same basic questions we all muddled through when we found this gem of a game.  Over here I can clearly see a subforum for gameplay questions and tutorials.  While steam does allow that handy guides section, having an additional subthread might be a welcome sight to new players to the game and might reduce some clutter in the main part of the forums.

I was wondering if it had ever been suggested to maybe add a few sub forums over in the Steam area that exist here.  One of the single largest threads over there is essentially and hard to follow Mission Reports sub forum packed into a solitary thread.  I would imagine the people who enjoy posting to that thread would love to have a complete sub forum there to document their mission exploits the same way they are done here. Actually easier to do since the image hosting and embedding is built into Steam.  

For whatever reason there seems to be two distinct communities with us floaters dotted among them.  I just thought that adding a few sub forums over there might give things a slightly more organized look on the Steam community discussion pages and make it far easier on new users to find answers to questions.   

newcomer are/"could be" like babies ; ) it happen everyday all the time, patience is what it's all a boot (some are better at patience and repeat than some others around a various range of topics)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

This would be a point to bring up with the good folks at Steam. We are not affiliated with them. :) 

Squad is the one who dictates what sub forums show up under the main discussions on Steam.   It is a Squad moderated discussion forum and like numerous other products(games) up there on Steam, they have the ability to add whatever sub forum under the main discussions area they want. I think maybe Vanamonde you misunderstood the nature of my question and I apologize if my question was overly vague and that I was not more specific on what I was asking.   I know you were just trying to help but I just find it highly dubious that in order to have a sub forum added we, the users, have to contact Steam. (I'd rather chew my damn arm off) and not someone here at Squad.  Not sure how Squad could protect its brand if they were not the ones in full control of those Steam discussions under their community pages.

@sal_vager Can you please weigh in on this since I see your name pop over over there in a moderation fashion?   Who am I supposed to ask over in that mess about adding Sub forums to Squads discussion area?  Some Steam support thread somewhere?  The Steam KSP general discussion thread? Because that almost seems as productive as peeing windward due to the exact chaos I'm trying to get rid of.  As far as I know you're the only moderator over there so I'm not sure who else I might even begin to approach about this now.  I just simply thought a tiny facelift to the way the discussions were organized over on the Steam side of things might be a welcome change to that community.  Of course it could also just be the rantings of a slightly OCD ol' timer who's head is going to explode at what appears to be a missed opportunity for Squad to put a better face on what for many is their first experience with the game.  

3 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

yup but unlike many steam game (not to say almost all), ksp remain playable without steam loaded even if you bought it steam ... hint hint ...

And how does this relate to my post?  Of course it runs independently.  That has zero to do with a few sub forum additions over in the other discussion area.

it has to do that ksp is not linked to steam with the same aggreement than most others license (and lord gaben rarely make exception) so best is to ask lord gaben staff i guess, because when you think about it it's pretty obvious why

as i m not either affiliated whith lord gaben, and either not affiliated with squad in any way , still i have  rough idea why

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

4 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

it has to do that ksp is not linked to steam with the same aggreement than most others license (and lord gaben rarely make exception) so best is to ask lord gaben staff i guess, because when you think about it it's pretty obvious why

Ok, so again.  Squad moderates those discussion forums.  They can delete threads, lock them, make pins, etc.  But your saying Squad must ask Steams permission to add sub forums under the already given discussion forum?  

everyone can't be everywhere, i m not saying anithing else

alos i can tell another thing you don't want me, (for exemple),  over the ksp steam forum, and a few others peops, and most moderator around here the same, prolly ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

21 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

everyone can't be everywhere, i m not saying anithing else

alos i can tell another thing you don't want me, (for exemple),  over the ksp steam forum, and a few others peops, and most moderator around here the same, prolly ^^

I was never asking for the level of moderation we enjoy here.   Make no mistake I know perfectly well the vivid differences between what passes for moderation over there and here.  Yes, warm that ban hammer up, seriously.  And you're wrong, I would LOVE for the level of active moderation to be present in the Steam forums. Holy hell the number of idiotic threads that would have been deleted.  All I was suggesting was the addition of some extra sub threads might be a welcome change. A setup closer to how Flight Simulator X has their steam discussion arranged.  And countless other games that enjoy numerous sub forums within their Steam discussions. 

@esinohio

To bring some freedom...

Gast no right's

Member posting, edit own content

Moderator s.above + permissions from Administrator

Administrator = magazambalo

If you look here:

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

I'd love to, but I'm just a moderator there :)

This means he has only permissions that are given to him from Admin!

And the Admin is somebody from Steam, therefore editing of the forum Contents is maybe not permited to him?

No offense, but this look like this situation where the moderators have only the ability to play firefighter for the Admins and no more. He/they would happily change something but never became the ability to change something on the situation. 

Here in the forums is a completly other Situation. Because the Admin "Squad" decided to give full control over the Forums to the Moderators.

And Steam didn't do anything alike?

np

^^ anyway as an autisitic fiber person very sensitive to some stuff others people tend to pay much less attention, for my own sanity, i avoid forum postin' as much as possible anywhere, there's very few rare place i allow myself pokin' around this strange planet most of us walk on without really knowin' why in the first place & when not in a chair with wheel.

also i can easily say that many place  i posted some stuff around the net the last 5 years, i ran into trouble with some "nice" people ... the place around the net, i can be myself, a lite autist person without gettin annoyed are rare

also as a lite communicant autist , i took the part to be as kind with people as they are with deep autist, and you know people react when they missinformed on some topics ... autist they are much more my family than "normal people", and this is something i do for my own sanity as well

pls forgive the non diplomatic aspect of the first post as well

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

31 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

np

^^ anyway as an autisitic fiber person very sensitive to some stuff others people tend to pay much less attention, for my own sanity, i avoid forum postin' as much as possible anywhere, there's very few rare place i allow myself pokin' around this strange planet most of us walk on without really knowin' why in the first place & when not in a chair with wheel.

also i can easily say that many place on the net i posted some stuff around the net the last 5 years, i ran into trouble with some "nice" people ... the place around the net, i can be myself, a lite autist person without gettin annoyed are rare

Look, this is turning sour here and that was not my intention. 

I simply saw an opportunity to make what I thought would be a positive change to how the community discussion pages are setup over on Steam and set about finding out just who we would have to ask about making some changes.  That's it.  Asked the moderator just who I needed to talk with and got a response that was less than helpful.  He's busy,I get it.  I've skimmed my fair share of customer requests prior to my retirement. 

So at this point let's just forget I asked and let this drift into the dustbin.  

well i guess, unlike some other games and being an average user, playin ksp without bein registered on the official forum sound a bit weird somehow ^^

it's like not having a cell phone somehow, sound weird nowdays, even if i don't use it i have one and pay my bills

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I don't think we need this uncivility here, the question asked by the OP is a legitimate one even if we forum mods aren't able to help directly. 

To be quite frank, I'm not familiar enough with the Steam forums to even know the proper channel for such a request. Perhaps one of our community managers can chime in. @uomocapra @badie

8 hours ago, esinohio said:

So, I guess I shouldn't have even bothered to ask is what I'm reading.     

I didn't mean your suggestion was not a good idea, esinohio. What I am saying is that while this forum and the Steam forum are both about KSP, we are entirely separate and a suggestion about the Steam forum here will not reach the people over there. 

I think I may see the problem- Squad created the Steam page and has since let the creating members leave. (Ahem possibly @KasperVld) or any other highly ranked Squad member. Admins selected may also have been Squad developers. They likely created the forum back in 2013 when the game first hit Steam and intended 1:1 moderation activity however as this forum grew the Steam forum got neglected.

To explain @Vanamonde what OP is meaning; is that someone (not Steam), has the ability to manipulate the Steam forum structure. Now Vanamonde and other moderators may not have their role stretch outside of these forums and onto the Steam forums. 

I've run groups and whatnot frequently (before discovering Discord... which Squad should make an official KSP discord). From that experience, I know this is Squad's power, they just likely forgot about who they gave these powers. Granted Squad likely can contact Valve and ask who the Admin likely is. From there, Squad can possibly reallocate who's Admin. 

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I didn't mean your suggestion was not a good idea, esinohio. What I am saying is that while this forum and the Steam forum are both about KSP, we are entirely separate and a suggestion about the Steam forum here will not reach the people over there. 

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I think I may see the problem- Squad created the Steam page and has since let the creating members leave. (Ahem possibly @KasperVld) or any other highly ranked Squad member. Admins selected may also have been Squad developers. They likely created the forum back in 2013 when the game first hit Steam and intended 1:1 moderation activity however as this forum grew the Steam forum got neglected.

To explain @Vanamonde what OP is meaning; is that someone (not Steam), has the ability to manipulate the Steam forum structure. Now Vanamonde and other moderators may not have their role stretch outside of these forums and onto the Steam forums. 

I've run groups and whatnot frequently (before discovering Discord... which Squad should make an official KSP discord). From that experience, I know this is Squad's power, they just likely forgot about who they gave these powers. Granted Squad likely can contact Valve and ask who the Admin likely is. From there, Squad can possibly reallocate who's Admin. 

I will personally birth your children at this moment @ZooNamedGames.  I swear to all that is holy.  [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde
Keep the discussion clean, please.

Squad made the game, but Steam is a separate company which operates forums. Squad does not control Steam. Please make suggestions about the Steam forum on the Steam forum, because we here can't make changes there.