Hatch status: closed

I don't think the hatches are why you're having trouble docking, I think it's the construction port that's giving you grief. They come from RoverDude's Konstruction mod. They can only dock with another construction port (that is, not a regular clamp-o-tron) and, if snap is enabled on one, then it must also be enabled on the other. If snap is enabled on both, then there are only certain orientations that will allow them to dock, which is somehow managed using the "angle" tweakable. If snap is disabled on both, then they should mate in any orientation.

As for the hatches, I'm pretty sure CLS does not allow you to open hatches on docking ports that are not docked, since that would mean exposing the inside of your vessel to the vacuum of space.

14 minutes ago, Merkov said:

I don't think the hatches are why you're having trouble docking, I think it's the construction port that's giving you grief. They come from RoverDude's Konstruction mod. They can only dock with another construction port (that is, not a regular clamp-o-tron) and, if snap is enabled on one, then it must also be enabled on the other. If snap is enabled on both, then there are only certain orientations that will allow them to dock, which is somehow managed using the "angle" tweakable. If snap is disabled on both, then they should mate in any orientation.

As for the hatches, I'm pretty sure CLS does not allow you to open hatches on docking ports that are not docked, since that would mean exposing the inside of your vessel to the vacuum of space.

Now this is the kind of info that hours of searching doesn't find you. The mod thread only ever tells you what's included, same goes for video reviews and stuff, but never this nuanced stuff like what "snap" even is, thank you. As you and @DStaal pointed out, I did trace this to CLS and was kind of wondering if it was the difference between the construction and regular docks. That's very unfortunate though, because they attach to each other in the VAB, so I feel misled. I supposed opening hatches into space wouldn't be smart, but I thought it was more about... idk, opening the dock to be accessible to the other dock, not in terms of actually exposing the interior of the ship.

Thanks, I'll change some things around and see if anything changes. Hopefully, similar docks allows for the magnetic attraction and everything else just falls into place from there.

26 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Now this is the kind of info that hours of searching doesn't find you. The mod thread only ever tells you what's included, same goes for video reviews and stuff, but never this nuanced stuff like what "snap" even is, thank you. As you and @DStaal pointed out, I did trace this to CLS and was kind of wondering if it was the difference between the construction and regular docks. That's very unfortunate though, because they attach to each other in the VAB, so I feel misled. I supposed opening hatches into space wouldn't be smart, but I thought it was more about... idk, opening the dock to be accessible to the other dock, not in terms of actually exposing the interior of the ship.

Thanks, I'll change some things around and see if anything changes. Hopefully, similar docks allows for the magnetic attraction and everything else just falls into place from there.

Yeah, they attach in the sense that they have attachment nodes, so they can be hooked together in the editor, same way two fuel tanks can be attached in the editor. Just to re-iterate, the issue with docking isn't going to be from CLS, but from Konstruction (if you don't recognize that mod name, you might have gotten it as a part of MKS, if you have that).

First off, turns out this helps: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki

So, I just tested a few combinations with the use of two rovers on the launch pad. Indeed the CoT Jr's can be docked, undocked and allow pass through. I thought I had a screenshot, but apparently not, though it's easy to understand.

(Screenshot 1) Here, I moved onto the CoT Jr construction docks. I do not know the difference between "compressing parts" and "multi-weld" and I can not find a reference to multi-weld on the github page; they seem to do the same thing. While I got this unsightly gap after compressing the docks, I believe it's easily avoided by sinking the docks into the cabins a little bit. 

XfRjB0.jpg

Two things that caught me off guard about the CoT construction docks:

1) After docking, but before welding, I found I could not undock the crafts. Is docking, like welding, permanent?  While testing, I restarted the game and it worked when I went back to get more screenshots. So, bug.

20WcHC.png

2) Ok, so "Hatch status" does not update real time, for one. With both stock and CoT construction docks, I could open and close hatches (I know that the stock docks were open or closed because I could or couldn't transfer Kerbals, respectively) and the status remained the same. Piggybacking off that, it seems that I can't transfer crew through CoT construction ports unless I compress/weld them; is that the case?

F0npAT.png

While we have these two connected, how do you transfer fuel? I have a refuel station orbiting the moon that i'll be using and I thought it was alt-click both docks to see the "In/Out" interface, but nothing showed up. 

ZTWhl7.png

I do have the Ship Manifest mod, which I have never used, but it seemingly let me cheat and I hit "refill resources" and got everything back for free. I do not want to use this as an alternative to the realistic "in/out" refueling. 

TFZYC7.png

Finally, as some guys here and the Github page mentioned, stock and construction ports can not be combined.

uGiim3.jpg

Edited by ItsSeanBroleson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.