Splashed Down Biome Science in 1.2.2

Geolu_Henge

My first post here on the forums, much like my first craft in game, is likely to just sit here on launchpad getting ignored for a while.

Anyway, to the point.

For a while now, I have been actively seeking out all possible science combinations of biome and situation on Kerbin; Land, Sea and Air. I'm doing this in career mode as a sort of roleplay that they would firstly want to understand their world before launching into space.

I remember in v0.90 there were .. let's say odd.. biome boundaries, but that was cleaned up in 1.something. After much google-fu and forum-combing I had all but written of the Mountain and Highlands while splashed down combo's. Landed in Water I had a hunch on, and decided to test that out first.

Spoiler

It is possible, just so long as you don't have the gameplay option "partsPressureLimits" enabled, otherwise everything explodes/implodes at -390m below sea level. To get Landed at Water, simple get a craft dense enough, or with enough thrust to sink down and get you to the sea floor, anywhere. You are now "Landed" in water.

Mountains splashed I found thanks to this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793004939 found on a forum or reddit thread that I can't find again.

But highlands seemed to be impossible. No one had any news or leads. So I began my quest. Using tips from a forum about kerbalmaps when it shutdown, I figured out how to add Kerbins terrain image file to google earth pro, along with the biome map pulled from the wiki, I played around with transparency to get a visual on where biomes and water might overlap. This gave me around 20 potential sites to investigate, which I painstakingly flew around visiting in sandbox with infinite fuel. After 15 failures, I was running out of determination, but then I remembered the debug had biomes visible in map option...

So I flipped that on, saw some potential sites, visited them. Still nope. But finally, one little pixel of colour caught my eye. A bit north of my location, so I flew up there, landed in the river and pootled along. After 2 weeks off work dedicated to this endeavor, I finally found what must be the last Highlands Splashed location in the 'verse.

Well, enough rambling. Thanks for reading.

Spoiler

ps: just discovered the Launchpad at Baikerbanur is it's own unique biome too.

Great Job and Good Patience.

My biggest Personal Biome Event was to find a Spot with 2x3 Biomconditions.

I have not noted the point for a personal quest to find it on every new start.

But i think i know it to good already.

Looks like a lot of hard work went into that! Well done. 

This may spoil the satisfaction of doing it the hard way, but there is a mod that can help steer you towards every odd combination of science:

Between that and [x]Science it is possible for this stuff to be almost too easy

No need to go that far apart.

Spoiler
On 3/22/2017 at 0:16 AM, Geolu_Henge said:

Mountains splashed I found thanks to this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793004939 found on a forum or reddit thread that I can't find again.

Just a short bit North of that same river where you found the Highlands patch, there's also a small patch of Mountains to splash around in:

GWDf3iW.png

Edited by swjr-swis
corrected forum goof-up

21 minutes ago, Geolu_Henge said:

Is that locations north/west along the river, just before reaching the confluence/fork?

Just a few km north of where you found the highlands splashed, a bit closer to the next bend; the module window shows the coordinates.

The picture may be slightly confusing because it is looking due south instead of due north like yours, but the view would be almost the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone is still playing 1.2.2 like I am, but I just learned of the splashed down biome science myself and have been on a mission to find them all. I too found the Mountain one via the steam post. And now thanks to this thread I finally found the elusive Highlands one, so yeah big thanks for your patience. I flew up and down the banks of that river myself and found nothing but Shores, so I'm curious to find out how small it is haha.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793004939

Speaking of this lake to the north with the Mountain biome, (which I'm now calling Biome Lake) it has quite a few other splashed down biomes. Tundra, Ice Caps, Grasslands, Northern Ice Shelf, Shores, Water, and ofc Mountains. Most of them are along the east and south east shoreline, with Mountains and Water being a little further off the coast. The lake is only missing Badlands, Highlands, Desert, and Southern Ice Shelf, or I just couldn't find them.

Speaking of the Southern Ice Shelf biome, if you look a little to the north/north east of Biome Lake, you'll see another small lake just south of the Northern Ice Shelf. It has a very tiny Southern Ice Shelf biome at the northern end of the lake roughly in the center. The biome is partly in the water and on land so you can grab both the landed and splashed down science and save a trip to the south pole. And I suppose if you're quick enough you can fly over it and grab the flying above science as well. Coords: N 72-56-25 W 82-59-00

I'm off to investigate an island just south east of KSC that supposedly has a water biome on land to grab some water landed science xD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.