Concerning complaints about the cost of DLC

frizzank

I do not see why so many people are complaining about the cost of DLC. If it's too much, don't buy it. If you want to buy it and cannot afford it, then put it on your wish list in steam. That way, if someone sees your steam wish list and wants to help, they can. I cannot honestly say how many gifts I have sent to others through Steam just because I have grown to consider them a friend and want to do something nice for them.

Or maybe we can ask the forum mods if we can create an "adopt a user" thread where those of us who can afford it can donate to help those who cannot afford the DLC...

Just thinking out loud...

Not even DICE/EA prices their DLC at $20! lmao :sticktongue: (well, they might. I haven't bought a DLC since BF3. Thanks ARMA)

44 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Or maybe we can ask the forum mods if we can create an "adopt a user" thread where those of us who can afford it can donate to help those who cannot afford the DLC...

That's a good sentiment and all, but how are they going to prove they can't afford it? Give squad their tax returns or something?

4 minutes ago, stickman939 said:

Not even DICE/EA prices their DLC at $20! lmao :sticktongue: (well, they might. I haven't bought a DLC since BF3. Thanks ARMA)

That's a good sentiment and all, but how are they going to prove they can't afford it? Give squad their tax returns or something?

Honor system and on a first-come, first-served basis. Let's face it - someone like me that has 30+ games in my Steam library has no need to have anyone buy me the DLC (or any other games, for that matter). Now someone who's been a Steam member for years, as in the case of a few that I know, either are youth or adults that are financially limited. There are ways to tell... to some degree.

Oh, and Cities: Skykines DLC has been priced at around $25.00 U.S., and I have paid for each one, so far. There are a few free ones offered, but the big ones (technically expansion packs) are full price. And fans of the game have no problem paying for them, as I expect the dedicated KSP player will do as well...

Edited by adsii1970

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Honor system and on a first-come, first-served basis. Let's face it - someone like me that has 30+ games in my Steam library has no need to have anyone buy me the DLC (or any other games, for that matter). Now someone who's been a Steam member for years, as in the case of a few that I know, either are youth or adults that are financially limited. There are ways to tell... to some degree.

I could see a first-come first-serve setup working.

Just now, Jestersage said:

Overkill of Payday came did. For 4 mask.

Lol no way? RIP

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Oh, and Cities: Skykines DLC has been priced at around $25.00 U.S., and I have paid for each one, so far. There are a few free ones offered, but the big ones (technically expansion packs) are full price. And fans of the game have no problem paying for them, as I expect the dedicated KSP player will do as well...

I've never played Cities so I wouldn't have known. But like I said, I haven't bought DLC from them in awhile.

But yeah, I don't imagine fans having a problem paying for it if they want it.

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Interestingly enough, when the disasters DLC dropped, I added it to my wishlist on my phone as I wasn't at home.  By the time I got home, one of my Steam friends had bought it for me out of the blue.

At the same time, if you can't afford your hobby, you either need a better job or a different hobby.  

Just now, klesh said:

Interestingly enough, when the disasters DLC dropped, I added it to my wishlist on my phone as I wasn't at home.  By the time I got home, one of my Steam friends had bought it for me out of the blue.

At the same time, if you can't afford your hobby, you either need a better job or a different hobby.  

[edited by adsii1970 - removed extra line spaces]

Yep, see, that's exactly what I am talking about. You've got good friends. I do the same for mine and I never expect anything in return. :)

And the second part of your statement - spot on! There are a few friends that I have that are not as blessed as I am financially  and who are are disabled. This does, by no means, apply to them.  They should never be held to this category. But if you're young and cannot afford it, then grab a lawnmower and a gas can - and go make your own way. Cut some grass and earn some money! Don't seek out financial help while you have the ability to go and earn... that's just tacky and lazy...

On 3/21/2017 at 9:08 PM, frizzank said:

Your more than happy to spend 40$ in add-on for some click-bait cell phone game

I have never done this, for the record.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:08 PM, frizzank said:

Don't like the game, then don't buy the expansion. But if you do like it you better sure as heck cough up that $15 for the DLC and not say a freaking word about how your not getting your moneys worth.

No, I will not automatically pay for an expansion just because I enjoyed the original game, thank you very much. And I most certainly will not ignore issues of quality in said expansion should I buy it, if they exist. Much as your rant has some merit on the simple fact that "devs gotta eat" (I know this all too well like many others) it fails when you stoop to telling people how to spend their entertainment money.

I dont mind pay for DLC like this ... it is nice expansion of the core game ... you know something extra... and not that important... not like other dlc in other games ...

Thats why i see this "price deal" not important question .... important for me is diferent one:

Can you please make DLC that will be focused on planets and make them hardcore ? :D

29 minutes ago, Sputnik 1 said:

I'm confused, has paid content been announced? If so could someone give me a link to the post?

Apparently, after a bit of searching, it's this one:

Although the ambiguous title doesn't help.

As for the topic: why in the heck would I spend $20 for DLC when I can find thousands of perfectly good mods that do the same thing?

Edited by Slam_Jones

I date back of the era where you bought full fletched expansion CD's for a game to extend its live.

These expansions added tens, sometimes hundreds of hours of new contents to a game, a whole new storyline, new area's to explore or something in that general idear of expanding the game.
I never had any issues in buying those expansions, even often looked forward to them.

Slowly this became replaced by small DLC's that add really nothing to a game, a new skin, a new weapon, imho its just added BS to the game, a quick money grab.
Later on it evolved in getting better gear that in a way was becoming Pay-to-win contents, leaving those who didnt buy the DLC in a disadvantage.

This kind of DLC really gave the DLC a bad rep, people got imho weaseled out of their money, and with the huge influx of casual players as gaming moved from a Niche hobby for geeks into the mainstream madness its has become now-a-days, Publisher saw a huge profit market thats willing to pull out its wallet for the next shiny object. And in a way i cant blame them, alot of modern casual gamers are willing to spend hundreds, sometimes even thousands of euro/dollars on a game, and they run a bussiness after all.
And in favor of those cashcow gamers they stabbed imho the old generation gamers who made them rich in the first place in the back.

Instead of games made by people with a passion, that could be seen in the quality of the game, hence some of the older games still have 20+ years after their release are still seen and considered as the standard modern games are compared with.
And those games had expansions too, even the expansions became part of the nostalgia of these games.

But now-a-days DLC and the main games are mostly trash, regardless of the budget they are made with, they still are and will be moneygrabs., and i refuse to buy this trash, even if millions are addicted to these games on a daily basis.

But i discovers in the indy branche you still can find gems of games, that breathe the quality of games of the past Era, KSP feels to me right there on the spot, abeit i admit after 4 years of experimental testing, weeks of bug hunting since 0.14 my time spend in KSP after release went down 100%, hardly touch the game anymore.
Over 3000+ hours is enough for me :wink:

Also as stated i am also one of the ones that has gotten the game before april 2013, so i prolly get all the updates for free, but thusfar from what i read of the upcoming update, it hardly peeks my interrest, it hardly adds imho much more contents, its about historical missions and sorry to say, played these allready with Mods and some imagination, it doesnt expand the KSP game.. 
I allways hoped for played expansion for KSP, that would add colonisation, deepend research, reacing out to the stars, more immersive planets..
For this i gladly would have grabbed my wallet, but for extra missions... Sorry it feels like SQUAD is entering the quick money grabbing here as well.

Hopefully i'm wrong, and it does add alot, but for now.. i'm not convinced.

Me will buy.

Why will me buy? Because me enjoy KSP, and me want SQUAD to carry on and make it an even more fully fleshed game.

Oh, and remember sometimes DLC =/= evil incarnate. I'm looking at you with honor, Skyrim, your DLCs are awesome!

And in case you are sarcasm-blind, -deaf, -anusic, -touch-insensitive and -tasteless, yes the grammar mistakes were put voluntarilt.

1 hour ago, Arran said:

I date back of the era where you bought full fletched expansion CD's for a game to extend its live.

Ahh, I remember those days 

40 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

http://payday.wikia.com/wiki/The_COMPLETELY_OVERKILL_Pack

Also read the "secret content" section.

:0.0: I can't believe they got away with that!

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Or buy for a friend option in shop?

Though loud out too

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

I just want to say a couple of things about the comments made regarding the prospect of Squad releasing DLC for KSP from the perspective of a games developer of some 30 years in the business.

1. Games cost money (often lots of it) to make, as developers need to pay for little things, like groceries, rent, car payments, home loans, etc. etc. etc.

2. If a developer wants to extend development of a game beyond what was originally envisaged and budgeted for, then that money has to generated somehow and income from sales of a game only go so far (most games that are released fail to even cover their original production cost) which leaves developers limited options.

The main options open to developers are either the drip, drip of income from "customise your player character" type of DLC (want to see your kerbals in blue suits... pay up a few bucks, decorate your station with coloured lights, that's a few bucks more), or some kind of "pay to play" mechanism requiring players to cough up a regular fee to continue playing, or alternatively get people to pay more directly for for some of the extension of the game, which is the route that Squad has chosen.

It's very easy to see huge amount of fantastic work put in by the KSP community on add-ons for the game, but that work isn't paying their bills, they have jobs for that (some of them games development jobs), they aren't relying on an income from that work, but developers, such as those at Squad do rely on being paid for the work that they do on their games.

Given that so many of us who play KSP have had a staggering amount of game time out of our original (cheap) purchase, I'm astonished by the amount of complaints from people on this forum about a developer simply trying to fund the future development of a game that we all enjoy.

The only alternative to finding more income from the game to fund its continued development, would be to end that development, something I'm sure none of us would want.

I will agree the with the thread author, besides it looks like a good expansion.   I think Squad deserves a couple bucks for all the fun they've given me over the years.   My only complaint about the whole thing is the lack of fuel hoses in it. :rolleyes::D

Edited by Finox

12 hours ago, purpleivan said:

in by the KSP community on add-ons for the game, but that work isn't paying their bills, they have jobs for that (some of them games development jobs), they aren't relying on an income from that work, but developers, such as those at Squad do rely on being paid for the work that they do on their games.

Boo-hoo! Sob story alert! What a shame I don't care about it. Maybe they should've finished the game sooner and moved onto the next game/project/DLCs instead of implementing stupid things nobody appreciates anyway.

Edited by Veeltch

16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yep, see, that's exactly what I am talking about. You've got good friends. I do the same for mine and I never expect anything in return.

To give a present is mostly as much pleasant Expirience as to receive a present. To see the happienes makes me happy too (and i am a introvert!)

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

24 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

...stupid things nobody appreciates anyway.

Things you consider to be stupid and do not appreciate does not translate to things everyone thinks are stupid and nobody appreciates them. You are entitled to your opinion, but it's maybe not so wise to be so bold as to assume that your opinion is shared by everyone else.

I Totaly Agree with you! but my Personal Problem with DLC(s) is that it HAS to Split up the Community, because there are: "stock", "stock with dlc 1", "stock with dlc 2", "stock with dlc 3"...

and the KSP community is not like a million players so i think its not the best for the Community, i think its nice as gameplay factor, but it will damage the Community!

1 hour ago, HurricanKai said:

I Totaly Agree with you! but my Personal Problem with DLC(s) is that it HAS to Split up the Community, because there are: "stock", "stock with dlc 1", "stock with dlc 2", "stock with dlc 3"...

and the KSP community is not like a million players so i think its not the best for the Community, i think its nice as gameplay factor, but it will damage the Community!

I'd would lean towards there being over a million KSP players.  Not everybody bought through Steam, it's quite likely there is a large number of un counted players. 

The DLC, as I read it, will not affect the game mechanics at all.  It will add some features on the front end that allow for editing of nodes and scenarios, and it will add some parts, but a stock ship built with non DLC parts should work in both versions of the game. 

And your argument about fracturing the community is kind of weak.  With so many mods available, and so many different ways to play this game, the community is already fractured, way more than this DLC will. 

We don't know any details yet, just some teasers, so complaining about integration issues before they even exist is moot.