Upgrade account

Provide a method to allow us to purchase an upgrade to our store account to receive the "lifetime of DLC upgrades".

Points in no particular order:

1.a. This isn't about fairness. But, I understand and accept the decision that was made.  Reward those who rolled the dice on the game early on. Early adopters, marketplace, and all that.

1.b. I don't like where the line was drawn. So I can either gripe pointlessly about it, or I can propose what might be a reasonable solution for both sides. As they say, you can be part of the solution or you can be part of the precipitate.

2.a. "Gold Deluxe Edition, with Crew Commentary" Syndrome. Why buy the DLC as it comes out, when the GDE with CC will be coming out SoonTM? The game and all the DLC on one USB, 3 DVDs, in a shiny gold box.  And usually cheaper than buying each separately.

2.b. Time value of money. Basically it means, 20$ today is worth more than 20$ tomorrow, and 30$ today is worth more than 20$ tomorrow and 20$ next month. That same 30$ is still worth more than 20$ tomorrow, 20$ next month, and 20$ next year. Wikipedia has an introductory article on the concept.

2.c. The cost of the upgrade should not be constant. It should increase as the DLCs are released.

2.d. Profit! No missing steps plan here. Accounting... financials... SOx... Oh! Look, Mortimer. He'll be able to explain it.

3. Not a good reason, but I'm cheap and lazy. That being said I will buy content if it looks like it will be worth it. I just don't want to choose if it will be worth it, and too cheap to risk my money on it not being worth it.

4. [EXPUNGED]

I wasn't quickly finding this or a similar suggestion in the recent history. But feel free to point me in the direction if there is one.

21 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I don't really see the big difference between spending money on the dlc vs on this upgrade?

He's basically asking in a very confusing way for a season pass for all the unanounced future DLC some people are probably imagining.

NO! those people have been with the game forever! they deserve it!

also it wont give them profit! it will make them lose profit!

the deadline is there so that everyone doesn't get it for free, they have gotten most of the money from the main game buying, but now they need more, I would never buy the season pass, NEVER.

So what happens if you pay for this "upgrade" and don't like any extra content that Squad might produce?

Or come to that if they never produce any more?

On a sort of related note I was an early tester on World of Warships and was lucky enough to be gifted a unique reward ship. Every couple of weeks someone comes on the forums there and complains that it's unfair that they can't have one of the two reward ships testers were given.

I'm one of the early buyers.

I currently maintain 4 game installations. One is my own, meeting the early-adopter-all-DLC-included criteria, the others were gifts to others and don't include it.

From my view, early adopters are basically responsible for the outcome of the community, which is in my view pretty brilliant.

Sure, I like the idea of getting the expansions for free, but I will happily pay for the DLC, at least for the ones I gave away and make it another gift. Actually, I bought the first gift as a thank you, just because KSP delivers so much and I felt fair to pay again. (The good old comparison between a cinama ticket and KSP pricing makes sense here.)

So, yes, I think paying for a DLC will not hurt most users and it makes sense to pay SQUAD again at some point to keep on working anyway.

So, I would vote against an unlimited "season" pass.

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Where do you live that $30 today is worth more than $20 tomorrow plus another $20 in a month? That's a terrible explanation of time value of money. 

I'm betting he is a time traveler from Hungary in 1946

2.b. Time value of money. [...]
This also means 20$ years ago is worth more than 20$ now.

That is why those early adopters earned their free DLC.

The idea of a season pass is still something to think about.

3 hours ago, egoego said:

2.b. Time value of money. [...]
This also means 20$ years ago is worth more than 20$ now.

That is why those early adopters earned their free DLC.

The idea of a season pass is still something to think about.

Yeah, no. The amount of inflation since 2011 is only about 8%

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'd be hesitant at any rate to buy something unseen, without even knowing how many dlc packages it would entitle me to. 

At the same time, that's almost equivalent to the early access agreement we all entered into initially.   Maybe it would sell like hotcakes.

4 hours ago, klesh said:

At the same time, that's almost equivalent to the early access agreement we all entered into initially.   Maybe it would sell like hotcakes.

Somewhat. The price was much lower and I had already played and been hooked by the free versions. 

8 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

... I'd be hesitant at any rate to buy something unseen, without even knowing how many dlc packages it would entitle me to. 

It's like insurance--a form of gambling.  I'm with you on this one...in fact I never buy those "season tickets" it's the rare program that keeps my interest that long (KSP being one of the rare ones, but my guess/gamble is they will soon start work on KSP II and not a lot more DLC for KSP I, we don't even have the first DLC yet).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.