The Kerbin Equinox

Castille7

I just noticed something today, Kerbin's Equinox is in the same timing as ours on Earth! Not sure how many of us took notice? Another on of those Squad details I guess.....

Just thought others would find this pretty cool :cool: (Speaking of default setting when entering KSP)

Edited by Castille7

Kerbin has no axial tilt which makes every day/night cycle on Kerbin the same ... therefore it is not possible to have the same timing for an equinox since it is the axial tilt of earth that creates an equinox

If every day has the same daytime length vs nightime length then you can't have an equinox as every day is the same as the last in terms of light cycle

4 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Kerbin has no axial tilt which makes every day/night cycle on Kerbin the same ... therefore it is not possible to have the same timing for an equinox since it is the axial tilt of earth that creates an equinox

If every day has the same daytime length vs nightime length then you can't have an equinox as every day is the same as the last in terms of light cycle

Well that's some good Kerbin Equinox 101 right there! Thank you for sharing that, now we have a place for others to find this information if they are interested.

Heh, supposing that every day on Kerbin is exactly equal, does that mean that Kerbin technically shares every equinox date with Earth, and every other astronomical holiday Earth celebrates?

13 hours ago, Tex said:

Heh, supposing that every day on Kerbin is exactly equal, does that mean that Kerbin technically shares every equinox date with Earth, and every other astronomical holiday Earth celebrates?

Every day's an equinox.  I'll leave it to the philosophers to decide whether it has no solstices at all, or else every day's a solstice, too.

However, Kerbin does have phases of the Mun, which has nothing to do with Kerbin's lack of axial tilt, so any holidays based on a lunar calendar wouldn't line up.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Every day's an equinox.  I'll leave it to the philosophers to decide whether it has no solstices at all, or else every day's a solstice, too.

Even better, every day would be both solstices.

7 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

I celebrate the new year by the day the space program founded.

Do the other planets start out in the same position in every new game? That would indicate there being a specific date for game start. It's not like new year's really needs any real definition other than 'everybody agrees this is when the year starts.'

This thread made me think.

Isn't it a fun attribute to a future KSP edition to add patched conics difficulty settings by changing the planets (any bodies i.e. moons) inclinations, tilt and ecliptic to make the game harder this way.

I've read threads that already pointed out the bogus state in which "difficulty" is defined in this game. Which difficulty settings are only multiplier sliders imo which defined the "grind" state rather then the difficulty.
Above idea obviously concerns career mode  but also sandbox.

Doing this allows players (meaning you) to actually feel a change in difficulty playing this game.

And guess what, it creates a actual equinox day instead of ....... every day!?

How eeehhh-bout that?

Edited by Razorforce7

On 3/26/2017 at 0:17 AM, Allocthonous said:

Even better, every day would be both solstices.

Do the other planets start out in the same position in every new game? That would indicate there being a specific date for game start. It's not like new year's really needs any real definition other than 'everybody agrees this is when the year starts.'

The current conventional new year is more or less this one. I myself celebrate the winter equinox solstice (lol) and not the conventional new year.

Edited by Hypercosmic

23 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

This thread made me think.

Isn't it a fun attribute to a future KSP edition to add patched conics difficulty settings by changing the planets (any bodies i.e. moons) inclinations, tilt and ecliptic to make the game harder this way.

I've read threads that already pointed out the bogus state in which "difficulty" is defined in this game. Which difficulty settings are only multiplier sliders imo which defined the "grind" state rather then the difficulty.
Above idea obviously concerns career mode  but also sandbox.

Doing this allows players (meaning you) to actually feel a change in difficulty playing this game.

And guess what, it creates a actual equinox day instead of ....... every day!?

How eeehhh-bout that?

IIRC the Unity engine cannot do that. Or so I have been told in the past.

Celebrating the winter equinox is a bit paradoxical in itself. It is either winter solstice or autumn equinox. As for Kerbin - the equinox is the moment the sun crosses the celestial equator. That never happens on Kerbin as the ecliptic and the celestial equator are aligned and consequently the sun never rises above or sets below.

@DoctorDavinci's great analysis aside, how did the OP come up with this data?  This implies he measured all the day lengths for a one year period, and then compared a planet with a 6 hour rotation to one with a 24 hour rotation, and then determined them to be the same.   I'm confused as to their methodology here. 

On 3/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, Hypercosmic said:

I myself celebrate the winter equinox and not the conventional new year.

I'll assume you mean winter solstice, not equinox, unless you're making a joke there.  :)

That's fine, as long as you don't mind moving your celebration by a day once every 70 years or so, due to precession of the equinoxes (and, therefore, solstices).

Just now, Snark said:

I'll assume you mean winter solstice, not equinox, unless you're making a joke there.  :)

That's fine, as long as you don't mind moving your celebration by a day once every 70 years or so, as the equinoxes precess.

That's right, I always get this thing WRONG. Haha.

In my novel project, the new year is set in the winter equinox solstice in the year 11800 HE, importance unknown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.