Finding the Kraken

Autostruts are off by default. If you aren't seeing them in your context menus for all your parts, then you can go into the main Settings menu, or the Pause/Settings menu, and turn on "Advanced Tweakables". That will allow you turn turn on autostruts for each of your parts. Probably don't want to do more than 5 autostruts, or they can do more harm than good.

And unless you are having a little fun with your relay sat -- you only need one small battery and one solar panel for it. Relay sats don't use any power as they perform their function. You just put them in orbit and forget them.

Edited by bewing

43 minutes ago, bewing said:

Autostruts are off by default. If you aren't seeing them in your context menus for all your parts, then you can go into the main Settings menu, or the Pause/Settings menu, and turn on "Advanced Tweakables". That will allow you turn turn on autostruts for each of your parts. Probably don't want to do more than 5 autostruts, or they can do more harm than good.

And unless you are having a little fun with your relay sat -- you only need one small battery and one solar panel for it. Relay sats don't use any power as they perform their function. You just put them in orbit and forget them.

I'll check this, I need the batteries for a contract that requires 5K EC

2 hours ago, Noobton said:

Is the truss structure on the fairings something to do with the autostruts? what are the interstage nodes?

Interstage nodes make it easier to connect multiple packages to the inside of a fairing, without needing to connect all the packages to each other. They decouple from the top down, and leave the next node open to decouple. But the important thing is that it gives you an easy opportunity to continue your rocket above the fairing. Just connect the upper part of the rocket to the top interstage node.

The truss is for use with the interstage nodes. If you have things connected to the nodes, they look like they are floating inside the fairing. The truss is purely cosmetic, but it makes everything look firmly attached.

6 hours ago, bewing said:

Interstage nodes make it easier to connect multiple packages to the inside of a fairing, without needing to connect all the packages to each other. They decouple from the top down, and leave the next node open to decouple. But the important thing is that it gives you an easy opportunity to continue your rocket above the fairing. Just connect the upper part of the rocket to the top interstage node.

The truss is for use with the interstage nodes. If you have things connected to the nodes, they look like they are floating inside the fairing. The truss is purely cosmetic, but it makes everything look firmly attached.

hmm cool but I don't think this is what's causing it, I'm beginning to think that is the structural cubes I'm using to hold the photovoltaic panels, as far as I can remember is the only modded part I'm using on this satellite, I'll try changing those and see if it works.

17 hours ago, bewing said:

Could you please elaborate on this? What problems occur when using too many autostruts?

Just now, A_name said:

Could you please elaborate on this? What problems occur when using too many autostruts?

I've seen ships shiver themselves to bits when you have one too many autostruts. Tension seems to build up in the system and has nowhere to go.

I could see re-aligning that craft so the dish points vertically, there are no trusses, and the solar panels just hang off the batteries ... might do the trick.  By the way, do you need that many panels?

Changing the small cubes for regular rectangular girders seems to have fixed it, even if the girders clips the batteries,  I need all those solar panels because they barely give me  14 EC/s, and I'm consuming 10.6 EC/s with the relay+probe 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.