How to install mod ?

if the downloaded file has something that says "gamedata" look inside that. open your ksp_OSX or ksp_win folder. inside it, there should be a folder called "gamedata. put what ever is in the mods gamedata folder in your ksp_win or ksp_OSX folder. then run ksp. alternatively, if you are one a windows, use CKAN.

link to CKAN:

Edited by Bill the Kerbal

Mod files for Kerbal Space Program go in the "GameData" folder.

uWM89bf.jpg

Mods normally come as compressed files-- .zip, .rar and .7z file formats are fairly common. You need to have a program capable of opening this compressed file before you can install the mod. I think Windows can open .zip files on its own, but the other two need special programs to open. 

Once you have opened the compressed file, there are two basic ways to install the mod. I find the second method to be easier.

First, you can use the "extract" command in your compression program to copy the mod files to KSP's GameData folder. This is the fastest way, but can be a little tricky-- you must make sure the folders line up so that the files go into the right place. Mod authors sometimes use different file conventions (for example, one author might compress his files KSP--->GameData--->Mod Files, while another might omit the KSP folder and just use GameData--->Mod Files) and this will affect where you extract the files to. If you end up with a second GameData folder inside KSP's original GameData folder, you extracted it to the wrong directory.

The second way is to copy the files by hand. It's a bit more time consuming, but it lets you control exactly where the files go. Open the compressed mod file and find the GameData folder stored inside. Open that folder within the compressed file. Select everything inside that folder (ctrl-A) and "copy" it (ctrl-C). Next, find the Kerbal Space Program directory on your hard drive, open it, and then open the GameData folder. Use the "paste" command (ctrl-V) to drop the files into KSP. And that should be it. . .your mod should be installed. 

I'm running KSP on Windows, so that's what I'm familiar with. I assume installing mods works exactly the same way on Linux or Mac. . .but "install" makes it sound more complicated than it really is. Adding a mod to KSP is just copying files into the right folder. The game does the rest. 

Edited by Ten Key
the inevitable typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.