KSP Crashing With EVE

Hey Guys,

A little advice here if possible.

I recently downloaded a few mods and immediately the game started crashing!  It never crashed before this, but with the mods it was really bad.  So I decided uninstall all the mods, and nit surprisingly the game became stable again.  I then decided to install just one mod and went for the Environmental Visual Enhancements, and immediately the crashing resumed.

I'm using KSP 1.2.2 and according to CKAN (which I use), EVE should be able to run in this version, but there's something not right...

Is anyone else using EVE having similar problems and could anybody give me a few pointers as to how to prevent this, or else let me know of a similar mod which may not cause so many crashes?

It's a real shame, because EVE really makes some difference to how the game looks.

And just in passing, I somehow ended up with Mechjeb 2 installed?  I didn't deliberately download it, but as it was there I thought I would give it a try.  So I put the package on the side of the capsule, but couldn't figure out how to switch it on?  I've read somewhere that a window or icon would appear on the screen which I would have to click to open, but there was nothing like that to be seen.

Mechjeb isn't that important though, if I could get some way of adding some visual effects such as clouds, etc. I would be more than happy.

Thanks.

Standard questions.

Are you running 64bit exe?     Are you using openGL or DX11 switches while running?   How much memory do you have?  Crash as in lock computer or terminate program or program locks up?

if you have more than 4gig, try running "KSP_x64.exe -single-instance -force-d3d11" in the CKAN Settings--->KSP Command Line

Mechjeb, are you playing sandbox or career?  if Career you will not get certain functions until you research technologies, and nodes require upgraded buildings (Mission and Tracking). The functions are available from several places, a dropdown selection list[V MechJeb V] , or toolbar (have to be added manually from within the game).  Mechjeb should also show up on the side bar [MJ].

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond Bornholio.

I never for one minute even considered KSP wouldn't be running on anything but 64 bit, but as it happens it was!  So that has now been sorted.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that KSP runs by default on DX11; if that's the case then that's what it's running on as I haven't tried changing it, although I notice both openGL and DX11 are on this computer.  To be totally honest, I'm not a computer whizz and wouldn't know how to change it even if I wanted to! :confused:

However I tried a quick session after switching to 64 bit, and although it was very short, there was no sign of any crashes, so fingers crossed! :wink:

64bit will allow it to use more than 3.4G of memory, the dx11 or opgl will reduce the memory load of most things.  They aren't default because pre-unity 5 they didn't work perfectly.

If you plan on add more than a few mods, you will need to go to either dx11 or opengl.  I prefer dx11 as it seems more stable. 

If you get a lot of mods going you may want to run the mod memgraph.  Though its a tiny bit of learning to understand how to use it (mod-*, Mod-end, mod+, Mod-) it reduces intermittent stuttering  due to garbage collection.

If you start making large part ships one of the biggest improvements is UbioZur welding mod, takes some work and needs thoughtful part selection. it can make ships with 300+ parts run like 100 part ships. Though it won't help a graphics limited computer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.