KSP Weekly: Implementation beats oration

SQUAD

1 hour ago, raxell said:

instead of "missions" add "programs"

Why ? Program is composed of missions. Apollo program had 17 missions. It wasn't one big, monolithic thing. Every mission had its own objective: flyby, landing, playing golf... 

2 hours ago, Benoit Hage said:

I also would like to point out that our friends from India are quite numerous on this planet, that this country has a space program and is quite a "IT oriented" country. So I think that in the logic of expanding KSP, a patch for India is more than necessary!

The official language of India is the english.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

When did they promise 9 languages?

In the Weekly KSP of november: Here

quote: " Another interesting fact about the localization work: KSP has around 50,000 words that will be translated to 9 languages! "

so, what about the 5 others languages ?

3 hours ago, mustard said:

I'm very surprised and desappointed to see that the 9 langages promised arn't present. Just 4 languages !!!!

What about French, German, Portuguese ? We have no news and you do not talk about it anymore. Blackout radio about this. Do you cancel this languages ?

Languages the most spoken in the world (wiki):

1) English (Native in KSP)
2) Chinese (release 1.3)
3) Spanish (release 1.3)
6) french  ???
7) russian (release 1.3)
9) Portuguese  ???
12) German ???
13) Japanese (release 1.3)
15) Italian  ???

We haven't cancelled any language yet, but we don't have a release date to announce at this point. 

53 minutes ago, mustard said:

In the Weekly KSP of november: Here

quote: " Another interesting fact about the localization work: KSP has around 50,000 words that will be translated to 9 languages! "

Thank you for providing the quote.   I didn't remember this.

While working on the localization for English, please remember that the plural of "craft" is "craft" - not "crafts". :-) It makes me cringe when I read "crafts", as in when this article talks about "rovers and aircrafts". Hey, even Firefox's spell check knows better as it just illustrated by marking it as wrong in my previous sentence of this post. It didn't similarly notice "crafts" because there is a word "crafts" as in "arts and crafts", but that's not the same sort of craft relevant to KSP.

2 hours ago, mustard said:

4 hours ago, mustard said:

I'm very surprised and desappointed to see that the 9 langages promised arn't present. Just 4 languages !!!!

What about French, German, Portuguese ? We have no news and you do not talk about it anymore. Blackout radio about this. Do you cancel this languages ?

Wow ... seems my Murphy's Oil Soap Law is totally on the money

No matter what you do someone is going to complain that it isn't enough ... good for you @mustard, you've just proved the validity of my theorem 

Keep on keepin on Squadies ... don't let the MOSL people get you down

Fantastic job so far :)

So a simple clarification:

Is the "Mission Builder" a mission builder (career), or is it a "Challenge Builder" (codified version of forum challenges)?

The latter is far, far less interesting (to me).

43 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

No matter what you do someone is going to complain that it isn't enough

You're really missing the point on this, aren't you?

Squad said they would do nine languages, then announced four.  Don't whine about people complaining that Squad didn't do enough, when they're simply asking about something Squad said they'd do.

Now, if Squad had said "We're going to do <X> languages", and people complain "Why didn't you do <X+2> languages?", then you've got a valid complaint. 

8 minutes ago, razark said:

You're really missing the point on this, aren't you?

Squad said they would do nine languages, then announced four.  Don't whine about people complaining that Squad didn't do enough, when they're simply asking about something Squad said they'd do.

No actually, I'm not missing the point 

Did Squad say that the languages that the have done the localization for are the end all be all of the languages that they are going to do?

Didn't think so ....

Have you ever been on a software development team that not only is localizing their software but also have performed a refactoring of said software ... if you had then you would have a better understanding of what this entails let alone the fact that the refactor that they have done will make it much easier to add more languages (such as the other ones that they have said they plan to do)

And if you see what I said as whining, then perhaps you should use some critical thinking and analyze some of your own posts for examples of what whining is .... I congradulated someone for proving that MOSL is a real thing, that's not whining 

19 minutes ago, razark said:

Now, if Squad had said "We're going to do <X> languages", and people complain "Why didn't you do <X+2> languages?", then you've got a valid complaint. 

Squad said that they plan on doing 9 languages and they have added 4 so far

Citation below:

15 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Four languages in the first batch, the others are coming.

Methinks you've missed my point since even if they did manage to get all 9 done, which they would be hard pressed to do, there would still be MOSL types complaining about whatever they could find in order to feel rightous in their complaint

That is all

1 hour ago, tater said:

So a simple clarification:

Is the "Mission Builder" a mission builder (career), or is it a "Challenge Builder" (codified version of forum challenges)?

The latter is far, far less interesting (to me).

Agree completely.  I want to lead my space program.  Not have other third parties lead my space program.  Hope this can provide such gameplay. 

Edited by klgraham1013

14 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Monoprop engines are "early KSP?" I remember their introduction like it was yesterday... :confused:

I think he means like in this video.

Also, I want to say how impressed I am that the writers of the DevNotes put so much into this one. Even if you take away the (great!) poem, it's still very substantial. It checks just about all of my boxes for a good update: overall progress report, discussion and update on confirmed features, console update that isn't a passing mention, new developer introduction, and individual progress reports. Nice job, anonymous writer!

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:

a Kerbal will in fact fit through a 0.625m airlock, helmet and all!

@RoverDude would this also be assuming a squishy helmet?

I am reminded of a story from a few years ago where it turned out it was possible for an entire human to fit thru a 5" hole and come out alive.

Edit: Actually, it turns out the guy's head didn't go thru such a small hole. Perhaps there's been some similar Kerbal misunderstanding? :D

Edited by The_Rocketeer

54 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@RoverDude would this also be assuming a squishy helmet?

I am reminded of a story from a few years ago where it turned out it was possible for an entire human to fit thru a 5" hole and come out alive.

Edit: Actually, it turns out the guy's head didn't go thru such a small hole. Perhaps there's been some similar Kerbal misunderstanding? :D

No.  A Kerbal's helmet is 0.605m in diameter at it's largest point.

48 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

No.  A Kerbal's helmet is 0.605m in diameter at it's largest point.

So, are you saying that an astronaut wearing his helmet can fit thru a 0.625 Clamp-O-Tron Jr docking port? Based on my impression of the internal diameter of those collars I find that doubtful.

Or are you just saying they could fit thru a 0.625m-size hatch/without a docking port? Unless I'm missing something (quite possible - I've not played for a while awaiting 1.3's fixes), astronauts never ever actually move 'through' those hatches anyway, except through the wizardry of Crew Transfer, in which case, like Intake Air and EC, they can conduct through any attached part whatsoever anyway. So, unless you're hinting at some new unseen-before function or feature, no offence intended but this doesn't seem very newsworthy.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

For those who have expressed their support, thanks!

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

new developer introduction

Not a dev, actually. Just staff. :wink:

7 hours ago, rmaine said:

While working on the localization for English, please remember that the plural of "craft" is "craft" - not "crafts". :-) It makes me cringe when I read "crafts"

In the process of adding simultaneous support for 4 brand new grammars, hopefully English will hold its own.

I'm very surprised and disappointed to see that the 9 langages promised arn't present. Just 4 languages

Hey, nobody ever promised a timeline. You're lucky Squad isn't just adding one at a time.

Coordinating adding 4 at a time has been tough enough. :) And adding a couple more Romance languages after this round is all done should be easy, since they share the grammar and font with Spanish.

Edited by bewing

19 minutes ago, bewing said:

For those who have expressed their support, thanks!

Not a dev, actually. Just staff. :wink:

In the process of adding simultaneous support for 4 brand new grammars, it seems more likely that the English grammar in the game will suffer a little bit in this iteration, rather than improve. But after that, hopefully it'll get fixed up all pretty.

Hey, nobody ever promised a timeline. You're lucky Squad isn't just adding one at a time.

Coordinating adding 4 at a time has been tough enough. :) And adding a couple more Romance languages after this round is all done should be easy, since they share the grammar and font with Spanish.

Personally, I think future localisations should be released akin to learning Al Bhed.  KSP1.4 shall contain letters A through E in the remaining 4 languages. Future volumes to come.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.