[1.3 of KSP] [1.9.4] Suthe Planet Overhaul Mod

Tynton

@Galileo

Actually the desired texture design (on the planets) I personally wanted to be more 'crisp' and not soft-looking. For some of the rocky worlds (Moho, for example, soon to be Pallia) I partially intended to look this way. They kind-of do, in a way, but not full 'realistically'.

@KerbolExplorer

I developed Suthe on Windows 7. I'm not sure if Kopernicus is compatible with Windows 8, but it might? I mean, it's possible but not too many users run on Windows 8 to my personal knowledge.

If you have Windows 7 laying around, try it.

1 minute ago, Tynton said:

@KerbolExplorer

I developed Suthe on Windows 7. I'm not sure if Kopernicus is compatible with Windows 8, but it might? I mean, it's possible but not too many users run on Windows 8 to my personal knowledge.

well this is the only planet mod thats giving problems.(Apart from gameslinx one that take a LOT of time to load)

4 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Apart from gameslinx one that take a LOT of time to load)

It shouldn't unless you have a slow video card or slow RAM.

Loading times for me are +20 seconds of stock, and I have slow RAM myself.

5 hours ago, Tynton said:

@KerbolExplorer

Kopernicus works on all windows versions past 7 AFAIK. I develop on Win10.

16 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Since Galileo is busy I'll give you a small rundown of PQSMods. I doubt i'll be as detailed as TWG and 'that lot', but for the time being :wink:

If your terrain is quite smooth and lumpy, it's worth using this PQSMod to sharpen the terrain: 

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2
				{
					deformity = 17000 //Deformity in terrain, in m
					ridgedAddFrequency = 9 //Frequency of terrain ridgedness
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 2 //Sharpness of the ridges and overall 'bumpiness'
					ridgedAddOctaves = 8 //Quality of terrain
					ridgedAddSeed = 5473 //Seed
					ridgedMode = Low //Low, Medium, High. Depends what effect you're going for
					ridgedSubFrequency = 9 //Similar to ridgedAddFrequency, but this only adds terrain to the original ridged
					ridgedSubLacunarity = 2
					ridgedSubOctaves = 8
					ridgedSubSeed = 13425
					simplexFrequency = 35 //How often the PQSMod acts on the terrain
					simplexHeightEnd = 3000
					simplexHeightStart = 0
					simplexOctaves = 16
					simplexPersistence = 0.4501
					simplexSeed = 847
					order = 40
					enabled = True
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.2 0 0 0
						key = 0.6311918 0.4490898 1.432598 1.432598
						key = 1 1 0 0
					}
				}

That's taken straight from my Telos config, and makes the terrain look like this, provided your heightmap will support it. Usually, this PQSMod is used to create mountains and sharpen the upper ranges of the terrain. You can choose to 'sharpen' (I don't like using that term, because this PQSMod can also add ruggedness) any part you like.

simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.2 0 0 0
						key = 0.6311918 0.4490898 1.432598 1.432598
						key = 1 1 0 0
					}

The SimplexCurve determines where the PQSMod builds more or less terrain.

The first entry in "key = 0 0 0 0" is the height part of the terrain, so this applies to the lowest point of the terrain. The second 0 is the deformity of the terrain. The third and fourth 0s most likely adjust the terrain curve in different ways, I just set them to 0.

So, at key = 0.6311918, which is just over half the total height of the terrain, 0.44 of your deformity value is applied.

I'm not a guru on PQSMods at all, but if you take my Vulcan.cfg from my planet mod, you can see how it was made. Vulcan uses no heightmap and is generated from that config file.

Oh I am so using these codes. I've recently figured out how good the former PQSMod is, but I've never understood SimplexCurve.

10 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

ok what that this mod needs apart from Kopernicus because its not working for me

Modular Flight Integrator.

Kopernicus and MFI should be bundled with the mod in the release. If it isn't, it really should be! (Version mismatches)

13 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Kopernicus and MFI should be bundled with the mod in the release. If it isn't, it really should be! (Version mismatches)

Kopernicus does not -need- to be bundled with the mod. But the Kopernicus that is installed must always have the same version as KSP itself. And ModularFlightIntegrator must always be present. It is part of Kopernicus and is not optional.

@KerbolExplorer you seem to keep doing something wrong... You've reported problems with Galileo, Gameslinx and now Suthe.

Make sure your directory path is like this:

• GameData\Kopernicus\ *stuff*
  • GameData\ModularFlightIndicator\ *stuff*
  • GameData\ModuleManager.2.x.x.dll

And not

• GameData\Kopernicus-1.x.x.y\Kopernicus\ *stuff*
  • GameData\ ... *ModularFlightIndicator missing*

Edited by JadeOfMaar

39 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I highly recommend that you don't bundle it to save yourself the trouble later. Look at RSS. People are still trying to use the bundled version of Kopernicus in RSS with 1.3 because they don't know any better and continuously ask why their game doesn't work.

And same for the opposite situation. Kopernicus is not backwards compatible, so if you bundle the version for 1.3, and someone wants to stay on 1.2.2, the game won't load for them unless they downgrade kopernicus. If the user doesn't know any better or how to do that, that just creates another issue for you or someone else to solve.

its better to have some faith in the user and just tell them to always have the latest version of Kopernicus.

Edited by Galileo

Hopefully 1.5 will be out either tonight or tomorrow, but for now:

What I hope for 1.5 is mostly internal patches (i.e. moving compatibilities to a single folder housed within the main file structure) and optimizations in-game, such as new names and new ring shaders present on the Suthe worlds.

Edited by Tynton

7 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

thats what it says.And i can clearly see in the loading screen this planet pack loading

The textures are. Anything inside GameData will load, but even if the textures are loading does not mean they are in the right place. If it doesn't work, you installed it incorrectly. The config files will be asking for a path to the textures which doesn't exist.

It's worth posting a screenshot of GameData just to double check everything is in the correct place before we bother with output logs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/06/2017 at 7:39 AM, KerbolExplorer said:

nope

Unfortunately it is because you run on a Mac.

If you loaded up the latest version of my pack for 1.3 again, it should hopefully work. If it does, I'll tell @Tynton how to get Mac and Linux compatibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.