There needs to be a mid thrust 1.25m engine between the LV-T45 and the Vector

I think the stock balance works very well... in career mode.  You start with sort of primitive small parts, you slowly gain capability and economy of scale, and top out with halo parts that make the early career parts look pitiful.  Which doesn't matter, as you have newer superior parts that cost TONS more, but you don't care because in end career you can generate funds without much trouble.

In sandbox, I can see how the early parts seem a little unbalanced.  So... don't play sandbox? :)

1 hour ago, passinglurker said:

You can't honestly crack the config files open and try to connect the dots and not see this.

Sure you can.  I happen to be pretty happy with the way the stock engines are balanced, for the most part.  I'm not claiming I'm "right", and I know that there are folks who disagree with that.

Just... this is a topic on which reasonable people can disagree, is all.

Simply say "I don't like how they're balanced," and I'll agree with you.  Say "they're horribly imbalanced and anyone who thinks otherwise has an opinion less valid than mine," not so much.  :wink:

For more powerful 1.25m stacks,  I've started using the Swivel or (more often) Reliant,  plus two radial engines.   

Two Thuds plus a Reliant is kind of a poor man's Skipper.  Or you don't need a ton of thrust,  Twitches or Spiders can add attitude control to a Reliant without a lot of cost or weight.  Yeah,  their ISP is bad,  but they're small enough you're not wasting that much fuel. 

Look, the issue is this, the 2.5m form factor is the only form factor in the game with properly regime oriented engine classes.

The Mainsail, the Skipper, and the Poodle each do their jobs superbly.

What I would ask is that we mirror that in 1.25m and 3.75m form factors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.