How much space does KSP take up on your hard drive

DoctorDavinci

Too much math.  Haven't deleted a version since .18, so I have all the downloaded rar's/zips for each, the expanded directory, all the downloaded rar/zips for the couple dozen mods for each version, their expanded versions in the directories, etc etc. 

Too much is the correct answer. 

I don't know how much, but with all of my files, my HDD is only a third full, so less than a third is taken up by KSP-related stuff. However, I have .90, 1.0.2, 1.0.5, and 2.0 all on my computer, with two or three mods each (mostly BDArmory). Plus I have a ton of mods I downloaded for 1.0.5, and if you really want to stretch it, I have all of my KSP videos (all seven of them) in .wmmp and .mp4 format.

8.09GB
in it: 2.61GB savefiles (I tend to keep a lot of quicksaves for no reason, really);
1.40GB screenshots (1177 files, all 1920x1080);
then KSP_Data and its x64 equivalent, 1.28GB each;
Gamedata, 877MB (489MB of it are stock files)
Then CKAN folder with 429MB.

It is going to change when 1.3 comes out

26 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Each version since 15 plus scads of screenshots: 28.5gigs. 

Just woke up and I spent a good 1o minutes trying to figure out how you would write an OpenScad file of a screen shot.  I mean, I guess it's possible, but that's a lotta wonky math.   Took me that long to see you were using that as an Idiom, not a nouns.  

For those interested in EXACT numbers, (at least on Windows), you can open Explorer and select your KSP folder, and right-click...
At bottom of the menu, click "Properties"...
That will give you size on disk, as well as number of sub-folders and files...

Pics:

I just checked, and it's about 90GB. I didn't even think it would be that much!

Most of it is old versions, from 0.17 onwards. I've kept the downloaded zip file plus the full install. Some versions there are multiples for some reason.

I probably should just clean up the old installs and keep the zip files, because I doubt I'll ever return to the saves.

4 hours ago, Merinsan said:

Most of it is old versions, from 0.17 onwards. I've kept the downloaded zip file plus the full install. Some versions there are multiples for some reason.

I probably should just clean up the old installs and keep the zip files, because I doubt I'll ever return to the saves.

If youre not sure you want to delete old installs, what I do is, delete everything in the KSP_win folder, EXCEPT the folders pictured:

I also delete ONLY the Squad folder in the GameData...
Basically, you want to delete EVERYTHING that gets installed in a fresh, stock game, and only keep mods/saves/ships, etc...

Then I take what's left and unique to that install, and .zip it all up into one archive...

If I ever want to go back and play it again, I just have to unzip the relevant install package (I keep all versions of KSP), for a fresh install, and then unzip/merge my "save" .zip on top of it...

Instant, palyable, old install, with all the mods/saves/ships/screenshots/etc as they were...

Zipping up only the relevant bits, and deleting everything else, saves a TON of HDD space...

That KSP install pictured, was about a 2.2GB folder... (~1GB for stock game, + the ~1.14GB of mods/ships/etc)...
WHen I was done, I was left with just one 445MB .zip...

Edited by Stone Blue

68 GiB in my ksp installs folder, which has multiple installs from 1.0.5 and a zip of older versions. Plus 19 GiB in my ksp_mods folder. Plus 62 GiB in my legacy mods folder.

Overall my /home folder is 98% full, with 67 GiB remaining on a 2.7 TiB drive. Looks like I need to have another clearout ... or just buy a bigger drive. I have dreams, when I can afford it, of getting a 4 TB SSD.

Not on that computer right now, but iirc KSP is somewhere around 2gb, so I'll go with that as a benchmark.

Going from memory, we have my 1.2 installation, 1.2.1 installation, 1.2.2 installation, two failed 1.2 installations, a 1.1 prerelease, at least two 1.1 updates, a 1.0.5 RSS/RP-0 that never got very far, a KAS/KIS install on a flash drive somewhere, a Toy Solar System install on that same flash drive, an OPM install, a main 1.0.5 install, at least three other 1.0.x installs, and at least one 0.90 install laying around somewhere. There's also several modded .zips. At one time I had 0.20-0.23.5 on this computer (the older one) but unfortunately I deleted them at some point. The only version I ever had on the super old computer was 0.19, which ran at *shudder* about 2fps no matter how small the rocket was.

So, using an average of 2gb per install (including shared zip folders, mods, screenshots, etc.) over about 18 installs (even though several have since been deleted, we're looking at all time here) leads to an all time total of about 36GB. That is dwarfed by the amount of HD screen recording I've done of KSP...

About 65GB, not including recordings (that adds about 0.5TB!)
25GB in a whole bunch of currently installed versions going back a couple versions (though most are not being used, really need to clear those out)
33GB of zips for all versions going back to 0.16 (win and linux copies)....I might have a data hoarding problem.
5GB of backed up craft and save files, plus a couple gigs of pictures. (got backups of the backups on other machines, but not counting those).

In that 65GBs is pretty much my whole KSP history going right back to when I started, which considering how much fun it's been and how much time I've spent in it, is nothing when a single AAA game these days is often around 50GB and won't provide anything like as many hours of enjoyment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.