Jool replacing Eeloo as furthest body orbiting Kerbol

jros83

5 hours ago, jros83 said:

Before I just go and start a new session and speed time to the max, has anyone documented on what year and day Jool becomes furthest body from Kerbol?

I don't have that, but I do have the moment that Eeloo is no longer further away from Kerbol than Jool: Year 8, Day 131, Hour 5, Minute 47-ish, at an altitude over Kerbol of 70500252 km, give or take a km.

The reason I don't have the direct answer to your question: it's quite possible that Jool never becomes the furthest body from Kerbol... since once past Eeloo, it would still require all five of its own moons to be simultaneously on the 'sunny' halves of their orbits around Jool (any moon on the other half of their orbit would be farther away than Jool, thus negating Jool that privilege).

Edit: Ok, you made me check: Year 8, Day 144, Hour 1, Minute 58-ish, the first time after Eeloo moves closer that all of Jool's moons get on the sunny side, and Jool gets to be the furthest body from Kerbol.

Edited by swjr-swis
made me check

How long is Eeloo "inside" Jool's orbit? I've only been to Laythe once legitimately, so I haven't really paid attention to that at all, really. I had so much trouble getting there, I figure my laptop just can't handle more parts/stages for an Eeloo encounter. It would be nice to know I actually have a shot at landing there too! 

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

I don't have that, but I do have the moment that Eeloo is no longer further away from Kerbol than Jool: Year 8, Day 131, Hour 5, Minute 47-ish, at an altitude over Kerbol of 70500252 km, give or take a km.

The reason I don't have the direct answer to your question: it's quite possible that Jool never becomes the furthest body from Kerbol... since once past Eeloo, it would still require all five of its own moons to be simultaneously on the 'sunny' halves of their orbits around Jool (any moon on the other half of their orbit would be farther away than Jool, thus negating Jool that privilege).

Edit: Ok, you made me check: Year 8, Day 144, Hour 1, Minute 58-ish, the first time after Eeloo moves closer that all of Jool's moons get on the sunny side, and Jool gets to be the furthest body from Kerbol.

*sends a spaceship to Jool*

Jebediah "Not anymore :wink:"

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2017 at 8:58 AM, swjr-swis said:

At Y10, D38, H1:14 Eeloo gets farther away than Jool again, at 67298321 km. So a bit over 1 year and 332 days.

And that's my first successful rendezvous with Eeloo via SSTO.:targetpro::science: Thanks!

Edit: After a white-knuckle landing at Eeloo and tedious refuelling, I managed to totally screw the pooch on my return window. xD I'll try that again later-- when I remember to wait before launch from Eeloo!! 

Edited by TheLionsBite
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.