How many times did you forget to assign kerbals in a spaceship?

Reusables

31 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Poor Jeb

He likes to fly... Now is he a Satellite....

My problem always...he is to hungry to go to Space... this way, he sneacked his way in a 1Kerb-RescuePod, i get him grounded for 2 weaks without snaks on Ciro (GPP) now he is much.... patiently maybe?

Basically, every time I want a crew, there are no crew.

Every time I don't want a crew, someone sneaks aboard.

I assume the game is reading my thoughts via an internet connection to my microwave.

54 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I include a probe core in my craft for some unknown reason.  Always have. But there have been the occasional launch where I notice that there's no one aboard...

I do this because of the occasions when I screw up the ascent stage and a kerbal has to backpack to orbit, or when I realise there's no RCS on the lander and it somehow has to reverse onto the transfer stage's docking port using only the main engine :D 

49 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

That's a recurring one.

But these days it's the exact opposite.

Jeb won't get onboard and I have to revert to the VAB and stick him in again.

Something to do with the first part that was selected me think.

ME

Yes, this is the case. If the control element is NOT the first placed in the VAB or SPH, you manually have to assign the crew.

When I get unwelcome hitchhikers I often forcefully eject them on the launchpad, this leads to a long tumble down the side of the rocket to the ground then they have to stand in the plume of the launching rocket as punishment. It doesn't learn them tho, they still do it again.

Changing your root module to something not a command capsule will affect crew placement, as well.  An example being if you select a hitchhiker module as the root and you have a drone core included, the game will consider the command capsules as secondary and not needed to be crewed.

If you can get in the habit of checking staging before launch, you can also check crew assignments.

23 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I more often forget to remove them from my ships, especially when I send something unmanned but with free seats inside.

Worst scenario happened when I was already in orbit and realized that Jeb shouldn't be on board.

This.  All the time. 

So it's not only me! :D

In my case, 99.9% of launch failure comes from kerbals sneaking inside the cabsules. Which greatly decreases efficiency of my reusable TSTO vehicles... :(  while gravity turn and reentry comprises 0.05% each.

Kerbals, root of accidents.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:07 AM, Abastro said:

Doyou have similar experiences?

I used to get bitten by this, all the time.  Forget to assign kerbals.  Or forget to unassign them, and only discover that Jeb has stowed away in the command pod when the hapless rescuee is clinging to the ladder and hammering on the door to get in.

Rage-inducing, every time.  Eventually it happened enough so that I got sufficiently annoyed that I wrote a mod so that it would never ever happen to me again.

Ever.  :)

I've started clicking on the launchpad rather than the VAB to start missions,  partly since it shows crew assignments without the need to click the little button in the corner.  Unfortunately, I am so trained to click the VAB I often forget,  and I often want to make a little tweak to the existing design. 

On 3/27/2017 at 5:07 AM, Abastro said:

I always forget it and ends up with Jeb sitting in there. This is painful in combination with tourist contracts. I even launched a rocket and found out that Jeb is just sitting in there. Alone.

Doyou have similar experiences?

i got a 300 ton craft to Low Eeloo orbit, it had a 3000 Kerbal Cap, It was just my Mechjeb control core, sitting there, alone, it was a 35 year transfer, I just ended up making a Brick of Hitchhikers in LKO with EL, spent an hour with MJ launching 40 Kerbal cap rovers, transfering the crew, then burning up the left over pod with Low atmospheric passes.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:37 AM, dangerhamster said:

Done that so often that nowadays I check the crew tab even when building probes. Nowadays I just keep forgetting the screwdrivers....

Rip EL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.