Billions of years ago, Urlum and Neidon were joined by another ice-giant. However, this ice-giant was unfortunate enough to encounter Sarnus very early in its live, and it was ejected into the inner solar system, well within the orbit of Moho. Scientists on Kerbin were extremely curious as to why Moho has such an inclined and elliptical orbit, but a suspicion led to the discovery of a new planet, called Heidon (It was named after the evil twin of Neidon). The planet is scorching hot and has a pretty ring system.

Requires Kopernicus:

Download here: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/heidon-mod

License:  All Rights Reserved

Edited by Snark
Updating license statement here based on mod's CurseForge page

If I could, i would get the mod, but you see.. my dad doesn't allow me to mod KSP.. I modded it out which caused problems, then he found out what they where co-related with and removed KSP from the computer where I was grounded from it for ~4 months

Edited by TheKorbinger

Anyways, before I release version one, I am open to suggestions for any potential moons of this planet.

and be forewarned, this planet requires about 3000 m/s in delta v to get yourself from an orbit around the sun with a similar semi-major axis to kerbin to get an intercept with Heidon. Afterwards, it takes roughly 4000 m/s in delta-v to get yourself into orbit. The SOI of Heidon is small because it is very close to Kerbol, and it is less massive the Urlum and Neidon.

-UranianBlue

29 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

I am open to suggestions for any potential moons of this planet.

Not sure if you were around when Moho was first released, but it had an atmosphere that caused your craft to overheat if you went too low in it.

Something like that would be nice, with mountains sticking up out of the atmosphere for "safer" landing spots.

Instead of jumping Jool scenario, this is probably why there's no super-Kerbin in the orbit...

I'm curious about the stability of the system. In real Solar System, the fifth planet was ejected out of the Solar System after subsequent encounters with Jupiter and Saturn. However, I am not sure if gas giant Vulcan-style planet would allow the stability of the inner Kerbol system. The note is that this planet can potentially eject Moho in the 4 billion years' time, and can cause chaos on Kerbin by changing its eccentricity, potentially killing everything before Kerbals could ever get a foothold.

Moho and Heidon won't enter eachother's SOI's; Moho and all of the other planets will be fine. I did the hot Jool because it allows for me to add in moons. We already have a hot, super-Kerbin; it is called Eve. 

Another idea I want you guys to review is the idea of a planet with a very inclined orbit around Kerbol, maybe 80 degrees? The planet will be similar in size to Duna, and have an atmosphere slightly less massive than Kerbin's, and it would orbit in the Jool - Duna Gap.

56 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

Moho and Heidon won't enter eachother's SOI's; Moho and all of the other planets will be fine. I did the hot Jool because it allows for me to add in moons. We already have a hot, super-Kerbin; it is called Eve. 

Another idea I want you guys to review is the idea of a planet with a very inclined orbit around Kerbol, maybe 80 degrees? The planet will be similar in size to Duna, and have an atmosphere slightly less massive than Kerbin's, and it would orbit in the Jool - Duna Gap.

Try to keep it realistic, a real planet in an 80 degree orbit would be so unstable.

Try to have it in a high inclination ~30 degrees, but also a high eccentricity. like a comet :D

Make the atmosphere similar to duna's.. if it's larger, make it like 15-20% higher, if it's lower, make it 5-35% lower (small planets don't like to hold atmospheres)

SUGGESTION:

Add around 2-3 moons (to Heidon), but make them small because the tidal forces from the sun and the planet would rip any large moons apart --- a safe point would be far away ~40% between surface and SOI and less than.. we'll say 70 km wide, not enough for hydrostatic equilibrium  to occur; bumpy moon, make the largest moon retrograde, like @CaptainTrebor said. 

If you can, make Heidon's atmosphere glow a light red, and put a very faint tail around it.

23 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Try to keep it realistic, a real planet in an 80 degree orbit would be so unstable.

Try to have it in a high inclination ~30 degrees, but also a high eccentricity. like a comet :D

Make the atmosphere similar to duna's.. if it's larger, make it like 15-20% higher, if it's lower, make it 5-35% lower (small planets don't like to hold atmospheres)

SUGGESTION:

Add around 2-3 moons (to Heidon), but make them small because the tidal forces from the sun and the planet would rip any large moons apart --- a safe point would be far away ~40% between surface and SOI and less than.. we'll say 70 km wide, not enough for hydrostatic equilibrium  to occur; bumpy moon, make the largest moon retrograde, like @CaptainTrebor said. 

If you can, make Heidon's atmosphere glow a light red, and put a very faint tail around it.

Heidon would be large enough to hold onto it's atmospher, and it also would generate a magnetic field. No need for a comet tail, but the atmosphere will glow red..

Also, the planet with the 80 degree orbit is designed to be another protoplanet that was thrown off by Jool and Sarnus, and it ended up orbiting high above the ecliptic.

As for the moons, I plan on making no more than two moons for Heidon because Heidon's SOI is already pretty limited.

Let me start by saying that if this is a fantasy planet, then by all means get creative with it.  This is a game after all, not a Master's thesis on Hot Jupiters.  But I have more than a casual interest in planetary science, and if you want it to be realistic, here are a few tips.

First, a Hot Jupiter isn't going to have rings.  Radiation pressure from the star will disrupt them rather quickly.  If it does have rings, then they will be dark rings of dust like those of Jupiter or Uranus. Bright Saturn-style rings are made of ice and would be boiled away. You can actually calculate the Roche limit if you want to be realistic, but the math is probably a little much for this post.

Second, Hot Jupiters likely have few, if any, moons, for the reasons stated above.  Stable moon orbits exist within a maximum of 30-50% of the radius of the hill sphere, depending on a number of factors.  This close to Kerbol, it's probably on the smaller size. They would be Gilly-like captured asteroids, anything bigger would have been destabilized by tidal interactions.

Those same tidal interactions would keep a Hot Jupiter in an orbit with a near-zero inclination and eccentricity. It would also be tidally locked, so you could make one side hot and the dark side cooler. The dark side would still be toasty because the atmosphere would be pretty effective at moving heat there.  If you can figure out how to make a planet glow in the game, give the dark side a red glow.  If you know the temperature you can even calculate the exact shade based on blackbody radiation.

That's about it, though the migration of a Hot Jupiter from where it formed would be very disruptive to the inner planetary system.  If you want to accurize the rest of the Kerbol System, at a minimum I'd delete Moho and turn Eve into an ocean planet, because the migration would drag a tremendous amount of volatiles with it. Any terrestrial planet that survived would be covered by oceans hundreds of kilometers deep. But again, this is only a game, so gameplay should rightfully take precedence over technical accuracy.

If Heidon is close to Kerbol, then it will be hot enough for mass to be shed off of the planet. Mercury has an extremely faint tail, but it's enough to pick up.

And if a planet comes near another planet of relative mass, then the gravity will be pretty similar. It would take a HUUUUGE disturbance to throw something into an 80 degree orbit, and over time the orbit would lessen to come closer to the star's equator Please, by all means.. (and for the sake of players trying to get to it) Make the planet have something less than 40 degrees.

Just now, UranianBlue said:

Heidon is in a .6 degree inclination.

I was considering another, more distant terrestrial planet with an 80 degree inclination.

Also, INTODUCING Mevron!! The innermost moon of Heidon

The size of that moon would tear those rings apart. Try something like a Saturn-Titan distance?  Put a moon on the inside of the rings, closer to Heidon, Could be a Shepherd moon! It'd be awesome dude. When you finish the mod, i'll ask my dad if i can get it. also.. LOOKING GREAT MAN 

1 hour ago, UranianBlue said:

Well, I haven't released any images of the moons yet, but the rings are made of a destroyed moon.

Fair enough.  They would be recent and temporary, but plausible.  The small shepherd moon would help maintain it as well. I'd make it more of a dark grey colour, because it would consist of rocky material, but it's up to you.

Here is the Sudarsky gas giant classification. Making the planet believable is as important as aesthetic purposes.

Have fun.

Note: A hot neptune in an inclined orbit will drag the much less massive inner planets along with it, and in this system, Kerbin would potentially have chaotic climate due to both frequent transit events and orbital disturbance, driving Kerbals out of their world. Also, like IceGiant said earlier, consider removing Moho. That poor planet won't stand a chance.

Edited by Hypercosmic

8 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

Gilly size or Sarnus shepherd moon size?

Strictly speaking, a shepherd moon could be any size.  Most shepherd moons are on the order of tens of kilometers, but Saturn's moon Mimas (a.k.a. the moon that looks like the Death Star) maintains the Cassini Gap even though it orbits about 50% farther than the gap itself, for example.  Remember that the ring particles are themselves in orbit.  Mimas sets up a resonance that doesn't allow anything to orbit at that specific distance.  Therefore, the ring particles either move to a higher orbit, or drop to a lower one.

Edited by IceGiant

1 hour ago, Hypercosmic said:

Here is the Sudarsky gas giant classification. Making the planet believable is as important as aesthetic purposes.

Have fun.

Note: A hot neptune in an inclined orbit will drag the much less massive inner planets along with it, and in this system, Kerbin would potentially have chaotic climate due to both frequent transit events and orbital disturbance, driving Kerbals out of their world. Also, like IceGiant said earlier, consider removing Moho. That poor planet won't stand a chance.

If you want ultimate realisim, then this mod should delete everything within Jool and replace them with one or two ocean planets.  But that wouldn't make for a very good game, and I feel that gameplay should trump realisim. But FWIW that would be the most realistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.