Robotic arm in KSP?

notJebKerman

First of all, I know there already are mods that offer this. But the problem with them is control. Setting angles is not only hard, but it also takes way too long to do even the simplest tasks. But I have no problem with Infernal Robotics about that. After all, that mod isn't focused on just one thing. 

I'm looking for a robotic arm that would be much simplier to control. Ability to take a module from the station and move it to another node in less than 30min would be enough for me. 

Any mods/solutions?

2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

First of all, I know there already are mods that offer this. But the problem with them is control. Setting angles is not only hard, but it also takes way too long to do even the simplest tasks. But I have no problem with Infernal Robotics about that. After all, that mod isn't focused on just one thing. 

I'm looking for a robotic arm that would be much simplier to control. Ability to take a module from the station and move it to another node in less than 30min would be enough for me. 

Any mods/solutions?

Konstruction from USI is worth a look - it's a bit less general-purpose than IR, but it has a couple of manipulator arms that can grab a part and move it someplace else.  Note that it only can move it's own parts - you can't build an arm from joints or anything like that.

Weeelll I've just fixed both the RKE Kanadarm and the original Canadarm and both but more especiallly the RKE will do what you want, still ironing out details but it is able to inchworm across a surface or ship with very little effort, and if you spend a little time setting the arm up it can default to the walking positions. I have to check licenses etc as decide how i want to proceed, as i really don't want to get mired in another load of support issues and requests  . And there's an item that will appear in the new SM AFV's and a larger version in SM Marine that may be suitable

Spoiler

On 28.3.2017 at 1:15 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Weeelll I've just fixed both the RKE Kanadarm and the original Canadarm and both but more especiallly the RKE will do what you want, still ironing out details but it is able to inchworm across a surface or ship with very little effort, and if you spend a little time setting the arm up it can default to the walking positions. I have to check licenses etc as decide how i want to proceed, as i really don't want to get mired in another load of support issues and requests  . And there's an item that will appear in the new SM AFV's and a larger version in SM Marine that may be suitable

Reveal hidden contents

Could you PLEASE share them with us?
Really desperate to see RKE Kanadarm working again.

59 minutes ago, C4pt.Miles said:

Could you PLEASE share them with us?
Really desperate to see RKE Kanadarm working again.

It's a definitely maybe, my test group have them now and if all pans out I'll consider it.  Theres a good likelihood that I'll be doing a robotic parts mod with a focus on actual kit arms rather than universal components, IR itself provides enough of those,  as one of my manged large mods is about to return to it's owner freeing up a lot of time for new things

• 4 weeks later...

Use IR Sequencer. It lets you pre-program the movements and speed of each joint. I use it to place all the sections of my ISS. You can do this in the VAB and use hotkeys to make sure everything is setup correctly before you send it up.

If you're willing to put in a couple hours up front in exchange for seconds-long actions later on, you could write a KOS script to intelligently control a certain layout of infernal robotics parts that you use routinely. Such as to translate from WASD / IJKL type of input into individual joints, so you as the operator can effectively just say "move this way in 3d space" and it does it via program.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.