Going at light speed & blackholes.

Zerxal

What would happen if I was past the event horizon of a black hole, but I could go faster then the speed of light? Would I be able to escape the gravitational force of the singularity, or is it 100% guaranteed that once you go past the event horizon of a black hole you cannot escape no matter what?

No, you could not escape. The speed of light is simply the relationship between time and space which defines the way causality propagates. Light, along with all other massless particles, happens to travel through space-time at the velocity matching causality. 

A black hole is a region of space-time where time is a vector quantity and space is bounded. No matter how fast you can accelerate, every direction is "in" and no direction can take you out.  

4 hours ago, PhysicsBrain said:

What would happen if I was past the event horizon of a black hole, but I could go faster then the speed of light? Would I be able to escape the gravitational force of the singularity, or is it 100% guaranteed that once you go past the event horizon of a black hole you cannot escape no matter what?

Pretty much a meaningless question.  Basically you're saying "If the laws of physics didn't apply at all, what would happen?" and the answer is "anything you want, because now you're talking about magic rather than reality."

In particular, you can't go faster than light.  Which is why a black hole is a thing.  "But what if I could" -> but you can't.

Gravity is the result of mass's effect on the topology of space. A positive-mass black hole will generate the same spacetime topology whether a nearby object has positive mass or negative mass. Negative mass falls into the black hole in exactly the same way that positive mass does (albeit negligibly slower, due to the slight negative spacetime curvature generated by the negative gravity of the negative mass).

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Gravity is the result of mass's effect on the topology of space. 

The topology is preserved, isn't it? Things still connect the same way. If you drew a graph of the locale, you could transform it into one without the black hole. Topography changes, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.