Atmosphere for Eeloo

Do you want an atmosphere for Eeloo?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want an atmosphere for Eeloo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Since Pluto has a thin atmosphere, why shouldn't Eeloo?

If there could be one, I would suggest a really thin one, thin enough where you can't just land by parachute, or thin enough that you can still see stars from the surface.

Anyways, still a suggestion. Also, isn't there a mod that adds one? It would still be nice in the stock game.

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

2 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

I don't think that would be very good idea, if you are going to eelo you have got big rocket with high heat tolerances.

For me that would be just annoying

Not really. If it is very thin, then it will be almost un-noticeable.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Why that high? Why not make it no higher than 15m? It is theoretically possible.

I agree.

Fire

Just now, Numerlor said:

Why do it then? Just wasted development time, maybe some kind of mod but definetly not stock

Science equipment?  It would set itself apart from the other planetoids like it such as the Moon, Dres and Vall. It would be a nice little touch of realism.

Fire

1 minute ago, Firemetal said:

Science equipment?  It would set itself apart from the other planetoids like it such as the Moon, Dres and Vall. It would be a nice little touch of realism.

Fire

Exactly. It would also offer unique challenges... Especially when making landings on the planetoid...

Just now, Firemetal said:

Fire

If you're going to Eeloo I don't think you would need one more set of science, and from what I got developers are focusing more on mechanics than realism etc.

Only purpose for atmospheres in ksp are planes and difficult entry/takeoff

It wouldn't work according to Veeltch due to graphical anomalies (A)
And it is a "unnoticeable" thin atmosphere according to Firemental and thus a useless feature (B)
It is also "contra" productive because now you need to do your capture/circulation burn at a higher altitude to avoid overheating. Which is what will happen from interplanetary Eeloo encounters if it were to have a atmosphere (C) (aren't they all)
If such a atmosphere is a reference to Pluto's atmosphere then it is to thin to allow aeronautical vessels of any kind even close to orbital velocity which further renders the idea useless (D)

You also shouldn't lay awake from the fact that pluto has a atmosphere. It's 1/100.000th of Earths troposphere. It could go well below that figure depending on where pluto is around the Sun.
Its atmosphere may look like a bright glowing disk on pictures from New horizons. But thats because these pictures are often enhanced and because of the light refraction through plutos Nitrogen based atmosphere.
Long story short: The argument to let Eeloo have a atmosphere because pluto has one makes no sense. Because a exact replica would do nothing more game wise except being there for no usefull reason.
A thicker atmosphere would be usefull.
But I wouldn't be the one to recommend it because Eeloo is in fact a challenge to get to and get back from. I wouldn't make it easier as it is.
Especially because it is my opinion that the effort to get to any place including Eeloo is very well balanced in terms of construction requirements in the current state of this game. I wouldn't want to make it either easier or harder.

Edited by Razorforce7

On 28/3/2017 at 5:35 PM, Numerlor said:

If you're going to Eeloo I don't think you would need one more set of science, 

Of course I do. Useless completionism FTW!

Anyway, Eeloo is a farther away, white Dres without dresteroids. An atmosphere (maybe one too thin to allow aerocapture) would make it different from Dres, Vall and Mun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.