Hydrosonic - Make the fastest boat you can!

Challenge:

Build a boat that goes as fast as you can make it travel.

Rules:

-Must have at least one kerbal in it (this can be in anything as long as the kerbal is secured to the vehicle, the kerbal can't be holding on to it)

-Must have at least one part under the surface of the water

-Must have at least a net total of 0.25 tons under the surface of the water (you can estimate this)

-Must be intact and not break any parts (planned staging is okay as long as it still applies to the rules above)

-Must provide screenshot and/or video evidence of the attempt

-Highest speed will be counted as the highest speed measured for 3 seconds as long as the boat applies to the rules above

-Have fun

(Side note: vesselmover or similar mods are acceptable to get the vessel into the water)

Scoring:

-Each kerbal on the boat is worth 10 points

-Speed is divided by thrust, then multiplied by the weight, that is then multiplied by 5, finally your amount of kerbals is multiplied by 10, and added to the total.

-The equation for points is this:
    -((m/s)/kN)*5t+(10)K
OR
    -((meters/sec) / (available thrust)) * (5 * mass in tons) + (10 * Kerbals onboard)

Example:

-500m/s top speed, 390kN (3 panthers in wet mode), 12 tons, 3 kerbals
-((500/390)*(5*12)+30=106.92 points

Scoreboard:

-

-

-

-

-

Edited by Jollyfellow

Just now, GDJ said:

So.....stock and mod parts acceptable?

Yes

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

How do you intend to measure how much mass is under the water?

It can be estimated based on the weight of the parts under the water, I should be able to double check this based on screenshots and/or video.

Well, lets get this challenge underway!!

Representing Firespitter (probably for the last time in KSP) is the Firespitter special!!

1.7 tonnes
Single Juno power
Top speed before self destructing: 124.7 m/s.
Thrust at top speed: 13.3 kN.

MPec4lq.png

Has one heck of a wake behind it! :D

lcfev8E.png

So going by the OP's math, I calculate ((124.7/13.3))*(5*1.7)+(10*1) = 89.7 points

The SS Big Bus. 100 crew hydrofoil, top speed around 160 after you lose those pesky rear stabs. 150 before unplanned separation. I'm calling 160 for the score because it was the kerbal way. OP's math turns large ships in to a penalty because of the thrust required for any speed to happen anyways. It's too hard to reach 1:1 thrust:m/s in the water with any mass, so I bulked on weight and passenger multipliers instead! :) 

-160m/s top speed, 480kN (4 Whiplash @ 120 by OP math), 70 tons, 100 kerbals
-(160/480)*(5*70)+1000= 1,116 score

I'm entering - but very likely to come last.

149.8  / (144.906 + 3*20) * (5 * 10.507) + (10*2) = 72.5

HX5tt8v.jpg

This is a nuclear powerered prop plane (with emergency LF engine on the back to aid landing in thin atmospheres).  Designed to visit Hadrian in the Galileo Planet Pack and can quite happily cruise about on the water.

With just the electric propellers running (i.e. total fuel being used = 0) it reaches 75.7 ms.  It'll run for around 100 years before running out of enriched uranium.

MGiH6am.jpg

With the emergency LF engine on the back running, it gets a bit faster:

McooHQv.jpg

• 2 years later...

This isn't really a speed challenge as scored. It's a momentum per thrust challenge. Or a maximum Kerbals challenge.

Which is almost definitely gonna be optimized by some gigantic cruise ship powered by a single Juno to like 5 m/s.

((meters/sec) / (available thrust)) * (5 * mass in tons) + (10 * Kerbals onboard)

So if I stack 16x Kerbal compartments the way this carrier stacks empty fuel tanks, and give this like 500 of them, that will be 8000 Kerbals. So 80000 points there.

Gy0tuyU.png

And if masses 4000 tonnes and manages to do 20 m/s on 500 kN, that would be an additional 800 points?

So the incentive is to ignore speed entirely and build a cruise ship/hotel on water.

Or.. build a submarine glider with a single ant engine on it set to 1% thrust.

Edited by Pds314

Submarine Glider 1:
Kerbals: 2
Top speed: 25.9 m/s.
Available Thrust: 0.005*0.05 kN = 0.00025 kN of sealevel thrust. (one quarter Newton, less than 1 oz. yes, 0.5% power to an ion engine at sealevel, purpose is to avoid dividing by zero).
Craft mass: 208.386 Tonnes.
For a grand total of... 107,943,968 points.

Not bad for a first attempt I would say. 100 million points?

wRZUpd9.png

Edited by Pds314

• 2 weeks later...

This is gonna be fun, I have a few screenshots from a while ago from one project to make a Gun Barge with rockets. Count me in, check my signature. 

On the point formula loophold, I feel like a thrust to weight ratio would work well, disregarding other factors. Maybe (thrust/ Weight) + Maximum Speed = points. Of course, If the boat breaks apart the attempt should be invalid to prevent using just like, a floating mammoth engine that snaps the instant you turn it on but still having a lot of points.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

On 4/6/2017 at 8:04 AM, bigcalm said:

With just the electric propellers running (i.e. total fuel being used = 0) it reaches 75.7 ms.  It'll run for around 100 years before running out of enriched uranium.

That makes it one of the most useful watercraft ever created in KSP.  Range is the biggest issue.

Since mods are allowed, let's take this to it's (il)logical conclusion; here's the CVN(PP) 104 (so named for both the hull number, and the number of flaming irradiated hypersonic pieces of shrapnel the next coastline over needs to look out for), and probable contender for 'most Kerbal naval vessel ever created':
AcQeLoY.png
Kerbals: 22
Top speed: 1093 ms?
Available Thrust: 1kt pulse charges, so, err... lots. Many many lots.
Craft mass: 2452.2 Tonnes.
???? points.

I hope I am not being greedy, but I got on a watercraft kick a while back ago, and so it was neat to be able to pull these older craft out.  None are amazingly fast, though according to your formula, at least one will score highly.  Assuming I did not do something dumb in my math (and that is very possible):

We have:

Rachel: Submarine

Speed (level run) approx 43.1

Weight: 98.357 metric tons

Thrust: 1 x Panther 130  + ( 6 x Goliath 360) = 2290
Kerbals: 5

(43.1) / 2290)) * (5 *98.357) + (10 * 5) =55.2558

Herman Amphibious Hydrofoil (not sure if it qualifies as may not have enough underwater when at speed)

Speed: 71.1

Weight: 12.225

Thrust" 2 x Panther = 260

Kerbals: 2

(71.1) / 260) * (5 * 12.225) + (10 *2) =36.715

Irving: Passenger Hydrofoil (this is one of my favourite things I have built. And the speed, which translates to 55 mph, is pretty realistic.)

Speed: 24.9

Weight: 87.767

Thrust: 4 x Panther 130 = 520

Kerbals: 92

(24.9) /520) * (5 * 87.767) + (10 * 92) = 941.013

Video Evidence:

Edited by Klapaucius

On 8/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Klapaucius said:

That makes it one of the most useful watercraft ever created in KSP.  Range is the biggest issue.

I mean, I've made some surface boats that, granted, at 20 or 30 m/s, should have circumnavigational range with non-BG electric props and the ability to refuel said prop from onboard fuel supplies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.