Planes won't move when Horizontal/Vertical stabilizers are attached

So, I have quite a few mods installed.. but this is a problem I have never seen. Have no idea what could possibly be causing it.

I built a super low tech plane, weighing in at around 3.5 tons total, to move around KSC and the surrounding area collecting early game science points. The only problem? It won't move faster than about 2-3 m/s. The stock .625m jet engines are pumping out ~18 kn a piece to no avail. Put bigger .625m mod engines on it, 40 kn each. Still nothing. Even bigger radial .625m ones that pump out 45 each. Nothing. Drop fuel to almost empty.. nothing.

Then, the radial engines actually burned my horizontal stabilizers off the rear of the plane.. and it jumped from 2 m/s to about 100 m/s almost instantly. Poor Jeb did not survive.

Thinking it was some problem with that particular part's drag coefficient or something (though I think it was a stock piece), I swapped it out for a normal wing section with a control surface. Identical parts to what the wings on top of my little cesna style plane were made of. Surprisingly, I got the same result. Hardly any movement at all. Take those parts off the rear, and boom.. it roars down the runway like normal.

Anyone have any ideas what could possibly cause something like this? So far as I know I don't have anything modifying the stock parts or aero, so I can't imagine what sort of mod could cause this.

Can you send a picture of your plane? My guess is that the horizontal stabilizer is blocking the thrust from the engines, and once it exploded from overheating, the thrust is no longer blocked, resulting in the sudden acceleration. I would suggest off setting the horizontal stabilizers so that they're not right behind the engine

I'll have to try that. They were directly in line with the engines, but quite a distance behind them. roughly a full mk1 liquid fuel tank's distance back, perhaps more.

That was indeed the problem. Moved the two "basic canards" I was using for horizontal stabalizers up slightly and now it works fine. Can't believe I've never run into this problem before with all the planes I've made. Suppose I normally put engines at the rear, not under the wings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.