How do I get my models into the game?

I've had a month's worth of learning 3D modelling. I'm also learning how to make KSP mods, but I don't know how to get the files in. For example: if I make a city, how would I get the coordinates into the files? Thank you for reading.

Edited by sumghai
Edited thread title to be less generic

[MOD - Moved to the Modelling and Texturing Discussion section of the Add-on Development subforums, as this is a modding-related question.]

A city seems rather ambitious for your first project, as it is generally advisable to start learning about modding by making a simple rocket part.

The third-party mod plugin Kerbal Konstructs is currently the only way to get "bases" and "cities" into the game, but as I don't make cities myself, you'll have to read through the documentation in the aforementioned thread yourself.

15 hours ago, Sp4nge said:

I've had a month's worth of learning 3D modelling. I'm also learning how to make KSP mods, but I don't know how to get the files in. For example: if I make a city, how would I get the coordinates into the files? Thank you for reading.

HI as sumghai mentioned a City is a very ambitious project. 

When placing large models in the game there are many things that you need to know, and you'll never get all the answers without finding some stuff out for yourself. T

The best way to start modding KSP is start simple stupid, a fuel tank, for example , in theory if you can get a fuel tank to load in and display and more importantly function correctly, you can do the same for a city.

BUT there's a  lot more to placing large models with KK and their interaction with the game and the load your object puts on the game than just plopping it in and saying it's done, a badly built static model can, crash your game, break KK, kill your frame rate, lock the game up,, so many things can go wrong and they do even to experienced mod makers.  

Jumping in at a city may seem like a great idea but do yourself a favor start with the easy stuff, it's easy to fix a problem on a fuel tank but not so easy to fix a problem with a city sized model, that's if you can even work out why you have a problem in the first place. Constantly struggling will just lead to disappointment and discouragement, and a bad experience early on could ruin your mod making aspirations just as it has done to many hundreds of others

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.