KSP Challenge

Darth Badie

19 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wait... one question... if the vehicle is uncontrolled, won't it just smash on impact if it's released from orbit?

Or is that OK, so long as it smashes inside the Mo-hole?

I presume that's the point.

You can tell if it smashes in a hole by the altitude.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

If you are going to quote rules, at least get them correct. There is no requirement for a successful attempt, it is merely suggested that you consider if the challenge is possible. This one clearly is, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Edit: Double ninja'd!

No need to get all snitty about it.

Those challenge "rules" were developed over time for the good reason of helping people put together a sensible challenge that people would be interested in taking part in. Just because it is a Squad challenge doesn't mean that they shouldn't learn from that past experience. Otherwise you are going to get stuff like someone (e.g. me) HEing a craft from orbit to 10m above the MoHole and dropping it in and meeting all the challenge requirements. 

The principle remains though that we should see the proposer's efforts. 

16 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Otherwise you are going to get stuff like someone (e.g. me) HEing a craft from orbit to 10m above the MoHole and dropping it in and meeting all the challenge requirements.

Well yeah, but you've still got to pass the judgement stage. It's more about having fun doing something you wouldn't ordinarily do though, isn't it?

Edited by Toastie_Buns
wordplay

1 minute ago, Toastie_Buns said:

Well yeah, but you've still got to pass judgement. It's more about having fun doing something you wouldn't ordinarily do though, isn't it?

Oh, I dunno, I have done a lot of challenges. Quite a few have been well outside ordinary KSP gameplay. 

22 minutes ago, Foxster said:

No need to get all snitty about it.

You get what you give, my friend.

22 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Those challenge "rules" were developed over time for the good reason of helping people put together a sensible challenge that people would be interested in taking part in. Just because it is a Squad challenge doesn't mean that they shouldn't learn from that past experience. Otherwise you are going to get stuff like someone (e.g. me) HEing a craft from orbit to 10m above the MoHole and dropping it in and meeting all the challenge requirements. 

You really need to read the challenge submission guide:

No one likes a wiseguy!

Challenges work on an honour system, we can't always check if you are cheating and even if you don't "cheat", if you deliberately misinterpret the rules of a challenge or its spirit in order to gain an advantage, you'll spoil the fun for everyone else.

There's a subtle difference between "cheating" your way into succeeding at a challenge that did have some rules and being able to do stupid stuff for a challenge without rules. 

Whatever. 

My only real point was that there are some challenge rules that have proven useful. Their use or some variation are worth considering to be used for regular challenges set by Squad. No?

Hey Badie? I know there's an unofficial weekly challenge on Reddit every week whose winner gets a firm handshake and a spot o' gold. Perhaps it would be worth connecting this series of challenges to the Reddit series somehow?

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

There's a subtle difference between "cheating" your way into succeeding at a challenge that did have some rules and being able to do stupid stuff for a challenge without rules. 

Whatever. 

My only real point was that there are some challenge rules that have proven useful. Their use or some variation are worth considering to be used for regular challenges set by Squad. No?

I agree that more rules may be needed in the future. However, all of the statements you've made have been accusatory in nature (and directly in opposition to the Challenge Submission Guide). It seems like you really dislike the concept of weekly challenges and you're trying to figure out a way to justify it. This doesn't seem like a good approach to things.

Again drawing off of Reddit: they generally give a brief but complete set of rules. This would probably be a good thing to do in the future, although the current challenge is still easily understandable and I don't think anyone has really "cheated" yet.

Finally, from what I read, this is a very informal challenge which has no single winner and no prize given. The real objective of the challenge seems to be building community and showcasing good work. And if this is the objective of the challenge, you're already failing.

Bagel

2 hours ago, diomedea said:

It's to you, and to anybody else, to try and find ways they like to meet the challenge. However if the probe isn't in orbit while the ball is launched, you're not really following how the challenge was set up. Being in orbit, means it is required its periapsis is higher than the body surface.

Wait... the impackor is uncontrolable (per the rules). Pray tell if the mother ship (prob) cant lower its periapsis to creat a impack trajectory prior to release of the impacktor how can the impacktor arrive at an impack trajectory.

5 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

how can the impacktor arrive at an impack trajectory.

Either by having its own propulsion (e.g. by sepratrons), or by being pushed by the mother ship (presumably by engine exhaust). The way I read the rules, the mother ship must be in orbit at the moment of release.

It's not that hard to figure out the exact delta-v of an unguided sepratron missile, set up a maneuver node with the correct delta-v, and fire it at the right moment; I routinely use that technique to land a capsule within about a kilometer of KSC with retro-rockets. Doing it with enough precision to hit the Mohole might be tricky but is definitely not impossible.

PS. I understand "uncontrollable" to mean "no probe core or command module," not "no propulsion."

Edited by Hotaru

Just now, Hotaru said:

Either by having its own propulsion (e.g. by sepratrons), or by being pushed by the mother ship (presumably by engine exhaust). The way I read the rules, the mother ship must be in orbit at the moment of release.

It's not that hard to figure out the exact delta-v of an unguided sepratron missile, set up a maneuver node with the correct delta-v, and fire it at the right moment; I routinely use that technique to land a capsule within about a kilometer of KSC with retro-rockets. Doing it with enough precision to hit the Mohole might be tricky but is definitely not impossible.

Exactly this!

24 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Well, guys. You can a) have fun with the challenge, or b) waste days arguing about the details. 

Bz3nELT.jpg

Challenge-Doer vs. Forum Warrior

FIGHT!

Edited by regex

1 hour ago, Hotaru said:

Orbiting above what? I guess if someone went to Eeloo, entered orbit and then fired something that lands into the mohole, they win one hundred Internets, too. :)

2 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Orbiting above what? I guess if someone went to Eeloo, entered orbit and then fired something that lands into the mohole, they win one hundred Internets, too. :)

What is unclear in the challenge as stated " You will have to launch an uncontrolled vessel from a mothership orbiting Moho " ? Doesn't seem your question doesn't find answer.

However, please show us you can do from orbiting anything else, even Sun. It's up to you to show how skillful you are, we are waiting to cheer your success. And maybe even your failure, if well done.

My prototype name it Long-Arm-ed . orbiting at 16.5 k, then fire gun, also make some kind of aim .... build  are normal spaceship to deliver it to Moho orbit later . (hit from 16.5k orbit inner walls of Mohole). Pure stock

ps; sorry for my poor english

85e91ed8416a.png

6718cc542d81.png

1dbe0a3acff6.png

caa91642529c.png

Edited by *MajorTom*

16 hours ago, regex said:

Challenge-Doer vs. Forum Warrior

FIGHT!

Challenge-Doer started with Maneuver Node Smash!

Oh, that did some damage! Forum Warrior is at half HP! 

Forum Warrior returned with Ninja'd Nunchucks! 

Challenge-Doer used this turn to heal. 

etc. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.