New graphics card.

Okay, so, before I say anything else, I have a FAST computer. 

So, I got this computer about 2 years ago and everything is good n' such. But I found KSP, and I like mods that are very high quality, that use a lot of my graphics card. I'm thinking about buying a new one, but I'm worried I might be accidentally downgrading. I currently have this in my computer, got it when I bought the computer: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-720 I'm hoping to possibly buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Xtreme-Graphics-GV-N1060XTREME-6GD/dp/B01KCWZ2EO/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490820146&sr=1-11&keywords=gaming+graphics+card Would that be a good idea, or am I not doing the right thing?

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Overpowered for KSP.  Go with a gtx 970 or 980

Would it still be able to handle EVE and scatterer, and many more visually intense mods?

Edited by PhysicsBrain

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

A 980 is what I use and I run ALL of the visual mods and about 90 other mods, BUT I also have a good processor, which is far more important than any graphics card for ksp

Should a Intel Core i5 3.20GHz processor be good enough to run all the visual mods?

Just now, Galileo said:

Yeah that will be good. I use an i5 4690k @ 3.4GHz oc'd and on my other rig I have an i7 something and I cant tell a difference in performance

I assume it's my graphics card then, time to get my ruler to see if it will fit in my system! :D

Wait, if that 6GB one can't fit in my system, can this still run all the visual mods well? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Xtreme-Graphics-GV-N1060XTREME-6GD/dp/B01KQUD9U6/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490820146&sr=1-11&keywords=gaming%2Bgraphics%2Bcard&th=1

GT720 is NOT FAST. That is a POTATO card. DO NOT buy a 970 or 980 now unless you get them for <200 dollars. Get a 1060 or an RX 480. Go for the RX480, 2 more gigs of VRAM and usually cheaper as well as the same if not slightly better performing. But if you insist on Nvidia get Nvidia. I myself have a 1070. The i5 is fine for KSP and the better processor the better when it comes to KSP because KSP is a more CPU intensive game. Like Galileo said, a 1060 is overkill. If you want to save even more money go for an RX470. An RX470 outperforms a 1050ti and doesn't cost too much more. If you do other games than KSP that are more graphically intensive. And plan on keeping your current PC for more than 3-4 years, go for the RX480 or 1060.

If you don't plan on playing any other games just go for the RX470. Also the 1060 3 GB is a waste and you are better off with the 470 or the 480. 

Edited by Combatsmithen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.